Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2009, 02:35 PM
    Swine flu.
    Is anybody aware of this latest flu going around.

Apparently it began in mexico but there are cases around the world now.
    There has been confirmed cases in Canada, United States where there is now one death. About 150 mexicans died from this already.

How do we stop these things? So much travel now, and so many ways of spreading it.

The president of the united states is calling it h1 whatever because many people and countries are fearing that it is because of pigs. Some countries are slaughtering pigs. Apparently though this virus is being spread human to human.

What are your thoughts on this developing story?

Joe
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 29, 2009, 02:36 PM
    H1N1 is the genome (remember Bird Flu H5N1 ?) and if left untreated can cause issues, but it seems that it's only fatal to Mexicans.
    Krazi Posts: 358, Reputation: 70

Apr 29, 2009, 02:39 PM

So far there has been 1 confirmed death.
    Small boy from mexico and his family traveled to Texas. At this point family still healthy.

1 confirmed and 1 possibly case of swine flu in my town, visalia, California. Both cases are kids from same school... the school is closed.
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2009, 02:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    H1N1 is the genome (remember Bird Flu H5N1 ?) and if left untreated can cause issues, but it seems that it's only fatal to Mexicans.
    How can it only be fatal to Mexicans?? :confused:
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2009, 02:41 PM

That is very strange. Is it only mexicans being worse hit by this? Is it because the government is slow to react? A baby in Texas 23 month old baby died of this same flu.

So curlyben, Yes I remember the bird flu, at the same time they are thinking this virus is changing.
    So you think it is just fear mongering as far as publicity goes. Do not push the panic button but tell people it will be a pandemics threat?

Your thoughts.

There is 3 confirmed cases in ontario, some in alberta and some in halifax. That is canada alone but apparently they have been mild compared to in mexico. Most people here who have it, has traveled to mexico.

EDIT:: Well There was a scare years ago with SARS IN TORONTO, but they say they are better prepared now.

Apr 29, 2009, 02:42 PM
    http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/

Swine Flu website last updated April 29, 11:00 AM ET

U.S. Human Cases of Swine Flu Infection
    (As of April 29, 2009, 11:00 AM ET) States # of laboratory confirmed cases Deaths
    Arizona 1
    California 14
    Indiana 1
    Kansas 2
    Massachusetts 2
    Michigan 2
    Nevada 1
    New York 51
    Ohio 1
    Texas 16 1
    TOTAL COUNTS 91 cases 1 death
    International Human Cases of Swine Flu Infection
    See: World Health Organization

The outbreak of disease in people caused by a new influenza virus of swine origin continues to grow in the United States and internationally. Today, CDC reports additional confirmed human infections, hospitalizations and the nation's first fatality from this outbreak. The more recent illnesses and the reported death suggest that a pattern of more severe illness associated with this virus may be emerging in the U.S. Most people will not have immunity to this new virus and, as it continues to spread, more cases, more hospitalizations and more deaths are expected in the coming days and weeks.

CDC has implemented its emergency response. The agency's goals are to reduce transmission and illness severity, and provide information to help health care providers, public health officials and the public address the challenges posed by the new virus. Yesterday, CDC issued new interim guidance for clinicians on how to care for children and pregnant women who may be infected with this virus. Young children and pregnant women are two groups of people who are at high risk of serious complications from seasonal influenza. In addition, CDC's Division of the Strategic National Stockpile (SNS) continues to send antiviral drugs, personal protective equipment, and respiratory protection devices to all 50 states and U.S. territories to help them respond to the outbreak. The swine influenza A (H1N1) virus is susceptible to the prescription antiviral drugs oseltamivir and zanamivir. This is a rapidly evolving situation and CDC will provide updated guidance and new information as it becomes available.
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2009, 02:42 PM

I will take any excuse to get out of work...

Can we still eat pork? Don't laugh that I am clueless.
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2009, 02:46 PM

They are saying that eating pork will not spread the virus. I would think that since cooking pork kills most viruses.. That is what some people fear, they hear swine flu and think that it effects what they eat as well. According to the government it has nothing to do with eating pork.

The safety is the same as eating beef, chicken and other stuff.

I would think actual mexicans working on a farm with pigs. Would be more suspectable because they are handling them and around whatever conditions caused this jump to humans.
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2009, 02:47 PM

Ok... just scary to think.

Glad I don't work for the airport.
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2009, 02:49 PM

No kidding, there are some countries banning flights completely to mexico and out of mexico.

Others is more of a precautionary measurement.

I think I like the idea of closing the border and flights but that is just opinion.

Apr 29, 2009, 02:51 PM

CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Swine Influenza (Flu)

What You Can Do to Stay Healthy
    There are everyday actions people can take to stay healthy.

Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
    Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hands cleaners are also effective.
    Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs spread that way.
    Try to avoid close contact with sick people.

Influenza is thought to spread mainly person-to-person through coughing or sneezing of infected people.
    If you get sick, CDC recommends that you stay home from work or school and limit contact with others to keep from infecting them.

Amid flu fears, USDA says pork is safe to eat

Fear of swine flu is a good reason to wash your hands, but not to take pork off the menu.

Federal health officials say the virus that has triggered fears of a flu pandemic is not transmitted by food, and that all food-borne germs are killed when pork is cooked to the recommended internal temperature of 160 F.

There also is no evidence so far that American pigs are infected with the virus, or that people can become infected by touching uncooked pork, the U.S. Department of Agriculture said Monday.

Swine flu can be spread the same way seasonal viruses are, mainly through sneezing, coughing and touching surfaces contaminated with the virus, as well as through contact with infected pigs, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

When cooking pork, internal temperature is a better indicator than color to determine whether the meat is safely cooked. Cooked pork sometimes will still be pink at the center depending on cooking method and other ingredients.

Thomas Griffiths, an associate dean at the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, N.Y. says smaller cuts of pork, such as chops or medallions, should be cooked until they hit 160 F.

But large cuts, such as a loin, can be removed from the heat at about 152 F or 153 F, then allowed to rest. Larger cuts of all meats continue cooking off the heat and will reach 160 F.
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2009, 02:55 PM

Hello Krazi,

I think it is good to have information at your fingertips and good links here. I think it is good to have a discussion of what is happening. Not to panic people but to inform people.

Thanks Krazi for taking the time to respond on this thread.
    Really do appreciate it.

Joe

Apr 29, 2009, 03:28 PM

Your welcome... I been toe to toe w/ my wife about pulling our kids from their school since the closure of mountin view school closed today.
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2009, 03:33 PM

Oh wow, I think it is better to be safe then sorry myself.
    How close is that school to your kids school?
    I heard some schools are closing up to a week.

Take care of your kids.

Joe

Apr 29, 2009, 03:51 PM

approx. 7 miles away from my kids school.
    Since its in my town I don't want my kids anywhere.

Apr 29, 2009, 05:01 PM

Channel 30 news broadcast

Visalia School Closed due to Swine Flu Concerns - 4/29/09 - Fresno News - abc30.com
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 29, 2009, 05:06 PM

It's hitting close to home now.

I hate watching the news for this very reason, I'm prone to panic when it comes to things like this.

It does sound like they're trying to contain it, but all it takes is one person that has the virus and before we know it it will be a pandemic. Scary thought.

Joe, you said that there have been cases in Alberta. Do you know where in Alberta? Now I'm worried. :(

Apr 29, 2009, 05:13 PM

Quick search...

Seven new cases were confirmed Tuesday — two in Alberta, four in Ontario and one in British Columbia — adding to six announced Sunday. All have links with travel to Mexico, where the illness is suspected of killing more than 150 people and of sickening more than 1,600.

Apr 29, 2009, 05:17 PM
    London humor...

Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 29, 2009, 05:17 PM

Scary! I feel like going out and buying masks. Yes, I'm that much of a germaphobe! ;)

Wow. I thought they had this under control and contained. I guess not. :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Swine houses [ 6 Answers ]

Types of swine houses ?

View more questions Search