Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2010, 10:14 AM
    Wisdom teeth Impacted
    So I went to the dentist for the first time in a few years, low and behold, all 4 wisdom teeth need to be pulled. They are impacted, just wanted to see what I can expect from this procedure. Will they put me out? Use numbing agents, laughing gas. What do the prescribe after for pain? Is it a lot of pain.

Darn I hate dentists! No offense
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 4, 2010, 10:18 AM

Hi Romfalls. I haven't had anything pulled in years, but even then all I needed was freezing. I fall asleep in the dentist chair no matter what they do to my mouth anyway.

Having teeth pulled means you will have to keep your mouth pretty clean after the surgery. Pain is up to you. Some people experience more then others; as for what the dentist uses, can't say; ask him what he recommends for you in this procedure. Maybe you want to be entirely out during and if you have a low pain threshold, then maybe you should be.

Tick
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2010, 11:55 AM
    Every one handles wisdom teeth extractions differently. The type of sedation would depend on how stressed you are about having the surgery done. If you are pretty comfortable with the whole thing you can probably get away with being awake and having freezing.

There is conscious sedation where you are awake through the process but really don't care what is happening. You can answer questions and follow directions.
    General anaesthetic would be for someone who is extremely nervous about the whole procedure.

Tylenol 3's are often prescribed for pain but I know many who have never had to take one. Might be a good idea not to have pain prescriptions filled until you know you need it.

Have a couple small bags of frozen peas ready for when you get home and apply them right away to help keep the swelling down.

If the dentist doesn't suggest it, take a couple of Advil prior to going for the surgery as this too will help with the swelling.

If your appointment is on a Friday, you'll be back to work on Monday :)
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2010, 12:25 PM

Thank you, it's not the pain that bothers me, it's the noises the drills make. I don't use any type of numbing agent and haven't for quite some time. I usually use an Ipod to drown out the noise, but I'm going to ask him what he suggests and go from there.

I'm leaning towards being put out as my dentist told me then it's covered under medical insurance, not dental, due to it becoming a oral surgery. Any truth in that?
    Expert

Mar 4, 2010, 12:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Romefalls19 View Post

I'm leaning towards being put out as my dentist told me then it's covered under medical insurance, not dental, due to it becoming a oral surgery. Any truth in that?
    Yes, he is probably right. Why would he say that if it wasn't correct? After all, he knows the ins and outs of his business.

Edit: I could tell you stories, rome. I worked a while for an oral surgeon in Toledo Ohio. Trust me, having wisdom teeth out is nothing compared to what I assisted with ! He wore headphones so he couldn't hear the drill, but then he couldn't hear anything I said or the patient said ! Like STOP !

Tick
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2010, 01:03 PM

Yea, if he did that he'd be eating my fist. I had a dentist who was supposed to use gas on me for 2 root canals, he started drilling before the gas kicked in and it was the most pain I've ever had. He completely ignored me the entire time
    Expert

Mar 4, 2010, 01:05 PM
    Yea, if he did that he'd be eating my fist. I had a dentist who was supposed to use gas on me for 2 root canals, he started drilling before the gas kicked in and it was the most pain i've ever had. He completely ignored me the entire time
    OUCH ! Yes, I just felt your pain. Good luck, Rome, you will breeze through it and you don't need the wisdom teeth anyway. Now go for regular check ups and keep the good teeth you have. You will be happy you did when you get in your 70s.

Ms tick
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2010, 01:06 PM

Yeah, the new dentist I have I really like so that will make me want to go. They actually listen to what I have to say lol
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2010, 01:12 PM

I had to go in three times for my wisdom teeth, they were all impacted and coming in at different rates. The first two times, my dentist used a lot of novocaine and gave me really strong ibuprofen. I hated being awake for it. Finally for the two bottom ones he referred me to an oral surgeon. The recovery time was longer, I'm not even sure if I walked into the house or my uncle carried me in afterwards from whatever they used to knock me out. But I'd rather have that again than be awake for it. I didn't even like getting cavities filled though.
    Expert

Mar 4, 2010, 04:12 PM

I never know if some of our long time members are male or female, cause you can't tell from their screen name. I have to say, though, that you 'guys' if you are both male, are really wimpy about pain, but if 'just' is female, well, that's okay then.

Ms tick
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2010, 04:20 PM

I'm a male, don't consider myself wimpy. I stopped having anything numbed since I was 12. 2 root canals with no pain help, not fun. I won't get put out for my wisdom teeth unless it's the only way it will be covered by my medical because I don't have 2 grand laying around which is what it costs to have all 4 taken out when they are impacted
    Expert

Mar 4, 2010, 04:25 PM
    I'm a male, don't consider myself wimpy. I stopped having anything numbed since I was 12. 2 root canals with no pain help, not fun. I won't get put out for my wisdom teeth unless it's the only way it will be covered by my medical because I don't have 2 grand laying around which is what it costs to have all 4 taken out when they are impacted
    Sorry (ducking) But you know if you don't have them out they will give you all sorts of problems in future, become impacted, displace your regular teeth (I can tell you stories, I warned you, I will do it:eek:). Just take care of yourself, okay. Impacted teeth left untreated and hurting cause mega problems from the infections going throughout your body and heart disease. Want me to stop:D

Ticky
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2010, 04:27 PM

Yeah, I found out last month I needed them out, but had strep throat which led to a bacteria infection so I had to take medication to get the swelling down. I have a consultation next week and then getting them done ASAP. If I wait too long the recovery time is worse too ha ha
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2010, 05:00 PM

I am female. I have no problem admitting I'm a wimp about pain ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My wisdom teeth haven't come in yet [ 7 Answers ]

Hi! I was just wondering, by what age do your wisdom teeth usually come in? I'm not worried about it or anything, just curious. I'm 23 and mine haven't started to come in at all, but some of my friends have already had to have theirs pulled. What about people on here? What age were you when...

Wisdom teeth [ 4 Answers ]

What is the usual cost to remove wisdom teeth?

Wisdom Teeth [ 4 Answers ]

I will soon be getting my wisdom teeth removed and I am assuming that they will put me fully under. I have never experienced this before and with the new movie out (Awake - where the man is mentally awake during his entire surgery and can feel all the pain) I am just a little curious I guess as to...

Flax Seeds and Impacted Anal Glands - & why do they become impacted? [ 1 Answers ]

Can preventing a dog's stool from becoming too hard by feeding her ground up flax seed - Also work on impacted anal glands... any connection? Is there any thing one might feed a dog to prevent this from happening? Why does it happen? Thanks.:eek:

Wisdom teeth [ 3 Answers ]

:-[ Help me, I am 17 and I think I am dying. My mom says that I am getting my wisdom teeth in. My left side of my mouth is slightly swollen and very sensitive. There is a part of my cheek or gums (or something) that is irritated and swollen OVER my back molars. Am I really getting my wisdom...

View more questions Search