Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spursman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2006, 02:43 PM
    Knocking in central air while unit is not running
    I am hearing loud knocking noises inside the air handler unit of my central air/heat unit located in my attic. This knocking is intermittent and I have only heard it while the unit is not running. I did not notice the noise until the winter and I started using the heat. Any ideas of what this could be? It is definitely in the unit itself and not the ducts. Thanks.
    jpeepaul Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2006, 11:21 AM
    Yes, I am going to take the liberty and assume you have a heat pump system in your home. The heat pump uses a reversing valve to change the directional flow of refrigerant through your system. To change the indoor coil from a heating to a cooling coil there is a check valve in place to keep the refrigerant flowing in the direction chosen by the reversing valve in the outdoor unit. In the off cycle the reversing valve is deenergized the flow of refrigerant stops and pressures equilize (this flow of refrigerant will cause that check valve to chatter) As long as the chatter does not exist while the unit is running you have nothing to worry about,
    P.s. let me know if you do not have a heat pump system as there is no explanation for that noise otherwise,.
    I am a liscened air conditioning tech, and have 15+ yrs in the field, I hope my knowledge can be of help to you...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Central a/c unit [ 3 Answers ]

My a/c unit when I woke up this morning wasn't working it was 80 in my house. The fan on the unit outside isn't turning. The inside is working.

Contactor is not being activated on central air unit [ 2 Answers ]

What activates the contactor relay on a central air unit.

Central air unit staying on? [ 15 Answers ]

I've noticed over the past two weeks that our central air unit is staying on most of the day. We have it set at 75 and have it on AUTO. Now I know when it hits 76 that its suppose to kick on.. and kick off at 74 right? Well the problem is that it will run for about 6 hours during the day and not...

Central unit freezing up [ 3 Answers ]

Our central unit out side frost over when the temp outside get below 35 degrees we have tried to just turn on the fan but you have to have the heat on for the fan to work can you tell what's going on

Loud knocking noise on central air [ 3 Answers ]

I came home today to find that the inside part of the furnace/central air is making a loud knocking noise. It seems to be working fine, but is very loud. Any ideas? Thanks

View more questions Search