Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Anusha Venkatasubramanian Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2008, 01:17 PM
    Dual-Status or Resident Alien?
    My husband came to the US on January 15 2007 on H1B visa and working in the US until now, which means he passes the Substantial Presence test (he does not have Green Card). He is from India.

Will he be considered as a resident alien or a dual-status alien for tax purposes for the year 2007?

In IRS publication 519, the section Dual-Status aliens says that (under first-year of residency), "if you are a US resident for the calendar year but you were not a US resident at any time during the preceding calendar year, you are a US resident only for the part of the calendar year that begins on the residency starting date. You are a non-resident alien for the part of the year before that date"

He was not in the US during the preceding calendar year, 2006. Does that mean he was a dual-status alien? However, he was in the US on 2005 for a couple of weeks on B1 visa.

Thanks -anusha
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 29, 2008, 02:13 PM
    He IS a dual-status alien.

If you file jointly with your husband, you BOTH can CHOSE to be considered to be resident aliens for all of 2007.

That is probably the best choice tax-wise.
    Anusha Venkatasubramanian Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2008, 09:05 AM
    Thanks for the response. We are going to choose to be considered as resident aliens for all of 2007. Thanks again, anusha
    supratim_dg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2012, 06:36 PM
    Are you Same Anusha who worked with Infosys? This is supratim
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 22, 2012, 07:31 AM
    Supratim:

Take note of the AGE of the post.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Me-->Resident alien; My wife-->Dual status, Can I file 1040 [ 3 Answers ]

Dear All; I have a question. As I am here in the US more than 5 years under F-1 visa, I am considered resident for tax purposes. However my wife is dual status alien(Thanks to Atlanta Tax expert for the sticky, she passes all 3 requirements) Can I file regular resident return married filing...

Dual status or resident alien? (TN->F1) [ 6 Answers ]

This is my situation, I was on a TN visa up until Sept, when I went back to school (and of course got a F1 visa instead). The past few years I've filed as resident alien, and I will pass the substantial presence test this year as well. So can I file as resident alien (instead of doing dual...

Dual-status or resident alien while leaving the US [ 1 Answers ]

I've been in the US on an H1 for 5 years and left the US in Apr 2007. By the substantial presence test, I can file as a resident (married-filing-jointly). Alternatively, I can file as dual-status, and I am trying to decide which makes sense: Dual Status alien: Only income until Apr counts, but...

Resident alien or dual status alien [ 3 Answers ]

This topic has been heavily discussed, but the concept is still not clear. I have been on H1 since January 15, 2005 (was on F1/OPT before that). I received a pay-check (approx. $1500) in those 14 days on 2005 that I was on F1 status. Since "I pass the substantial presence test for 2005, I am...

Am I dual resident alien? [ 1 Answers ]

This is my history in US: 1998 as J1 student 118 days 1999 as J1 Summer Travel or Work 87 days 2000 as J1 Summer Travel or Work 68 days 2003 as B1 visitor 8 days 2003 as F1 student 152 days 2004 as F1 student 349 days 2005 as F1 student 271 days 2005 as H1B Employee 92 days

View more questions Search