Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    enigma Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2007, 08:57 PM
    US Citizen filing taxes and my wife lives abroad
    I'm a U.S. citizen and my wife resides in Saudi Arabia. I'm in the process of bringing her here.

I'm filing my taxes right now and I want to file as "married/filing joint". Since she doesn't have an SSN, is the ITIN the only thing I need to apply for?

Also, where can she notarize the copy of her passport in Riyadh?

THanks for any help

M.M
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 26, 2007, 05:39 AM
    M.M.:

If you cannot notarize, get the Saudi passport authorities to certify that it is a true photocopy.

Once you have it certified, you download Form W-7, fill it out, have your wife sign it and attach the W-7 and the certified copy to your joint return.
    enigma Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2007, 11:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    M.M.:

If you cannot notarize, get the Saudi passport authorities to certify that it is a true photocopy.

Once you have it certified, you download Form W-7, fill it out, have your wife sign it and attach the W-7 and the certified copy to your joint return.
    Thanks for the reply.

I just found out that there's a notary service provided at the U.S. Embassy in Riyadh so I'll ask her to go there to get the copy notarized.

M.M.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 26, 2007, 10:07 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing Taxes for myself (H1) and my wife (h4) [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Tax Experts, I am married and entered into USA on April 2006. My wife joined me in June 2006. I want to file my Tax for the time I was in USA? 1. Do I need to file ITIN for my wife first? Or I can do it when I am filing for my Tax? 2. Do I have to file as dual-status return for both of us?...

Taxes for married filing OPT(self), F1(wife) [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am a resident of India, I have been in the US from Aug 2004. My wife has been in the US since Aug 2005. I just finished my Masters and am working full time in OPT status. My wife is still in F1 status. Should my employer cut Social Security and Medicare taxes? We wanted to file in...

Filing Taxes for myself (H1) and my wife (h4) [ 1 Answers ]

In one of your previous replies you had said that for filing taxes with person with H1 and wife with H4. "Yes, she will need an ITIN. Download a W-7 from www.irs.gov, fill it out, have you wife sign it and attach a notarized copy of her passport to the W-7. Attach both to your joint tax return...

Taxes for Indian Citizen on H1 in US [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I am a citizen from India. I am currently on H1 visa. I have been on H1 since 2003. Which tax form should I file? Am I allowed to be treated as non resident under tax treaty and file NR form? Last year I was a dual status but instead filed 1040 EZ. I think I could have filed 1040 NR...

View more questions Search