Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Anneorexic Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2008, 08:13 PM
    Settled Debt;creditor wants more
    Hello. I was sued by Crown Asset Management (Pollack & Rosen). I settled before the court summons for 2400 out of the 3000. When they sent me the stipulation, it claims that I owe 2777+300 court costs. I paid 1200. And plan to pay the other 1200 in the next few weeks. The weird part was that the stipulation made no mention to a settlement. It said that I would pay 1200 on the 8th of each month until the amount was paid in full.
    I called the company to question about the arrangement we had made. The guy said that in the notes there was mention of an agreement to settlement for 2400. He said that in court stipulations, they simply word it to ensure the amount being sued for in court is all accounted for. So once they receive the second payment of 1200, it will be considered pay in full. I signed it and returned it.

So today I received a letter from Pollack & Rosen saying that on May 10, I will pay 1200. (which I plan to pay) Then on June 10, I will pay 600. (which was not part of the agreement)

Have I been bamboolzed? Is that true about stipulations, what the guy said?

If after I pay the May payment, and they still come after me for the remaining balance, what are my choices? I technically have no proof of our agreement because it was done all over the phone. The debt is almost 4 years old. The original amount was no more than 2250.
    Any advice would be great! Thanks
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 29, 2008, 08:41 PM
    Was any of your agreements in writing? No >>> Guess what Often collection people will lie to you and make phone agreements ( that they never really turn in or make) to get people to pay. Because they are on commission and if they lie or trick you into paying they make money.

So basically yep, souinds like they lied to you and you need to settle with them 'IN WRITING"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Debt Collectors versis Original creditor [ 3 Answers ]

I ask yesterday if you could go and pay a debt that has been charged off to the original creditor, This was answered. BUT I didn't make myself clear I need to know once it has been charged off and a debt collector has bought the debt can you still go back to the original creditor. I have some debt...

Working with a credit agency on a charged off debt I thought was settled [ 1 Answers ]

Years ago, three days after my ex and I filed for divorce, I received a small credit card for $300. I paid it regularly and on time until they hit me with an "annual fee" that I thought was a "one time start up fee". It threw the card over the limit, they slapped over the limit fees on that,...

Sued by Creditor though in a debt settlement program [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I have been in a debt settlement program since Aug. 2006 and have just been served papers by an attorney's office that they are trying to collect the debt for my creditor. I have filed an answer in the clerk's office of the court and wait to hear from the attorney. I was told by my program...

Mbna creditor debt [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, my husband had a credit card through MBNA about 5 years ago, he was in an accident and used the card to pay his bill at the time. Then he let the card go and did not make payments, mostly because we have 3 kids and the economy in Michigan was bad so was hard to make ends meet! Anyway, the card...

I settled my Debt--they cashed check but now Bank suing me! [ 2 Answers ]

If anyone could help me--or point me in the right direction it would be a great relief. Basically, I had a credit card with Chase bank--it went delinquent. They turned it over to a company called Mann Bracken (they're in Atlanta, GA). Mann Bracken filed with the National Arbitration Forum. ...

View more questions Search