Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Dec 9, 2005, 06:26 AM
    Squirrel in the attic
    There is a baby squirrel up in my folks attic. My mean daddy put poison up there and fortunatly the squirrel did not eat it but dumped the box out the attic window. I heard to use mothballs and vinegar but daddy won't use them for some reason. How do I get this baby out of the attic?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2005, 06:37 AM
    A "live trap" is the way to go to get it out of there alive. It's a wire cage with a trip mechanism in it that you put some peanut butter on. When squirly tries to eat it, he closes himself in.

Then you can just carry the trap/cage outside and let it go.

Call a local pet store and ask them if they know who might carry a "live trap".
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2005, 06:43 AM
    Squirrel
    HI,
    You do want to get rid of this squirrel as soon as possible. It will chew up and chew through anything it comes across! Even electrical wiring.
    The other answer mentioned a live trap. Here is some information:
    http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair/squirrels.htm

You can get a live trap at some hardware stores, and if available, a Farmers Cooperative.
    If you wish to go further with this and kill it, then a Large Rat Trap will do it, using peanut butter on the trigger unit. I am not recommending killing it, but it is an option; as your Dad already tried. He does NOT want to use poison, cause if the squirrel dies in the attic, or in the wall, you will have an unbelievable smell in the house!
    Best of luck.

Dec 9, 2005, 12:53 PM
    Well the squirrel is outside now playing fireman on the side of my house and getting busy with the stair rail.
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Dec 10, 2005, 05:15 AM
    Have A Heart Traps (O:
    Forget the poison, the moth balls are worse, moth balls inhaling the fumes from them can do long term damage to the kidneys, and liver of most animal, as suggested by another member get a live trap, catch it and take it far away, or call you local A.C.O and they can direct you to a wild life rehabber that can help. Squirrels are cute and cuddly, but will do major damage to your home. I know this for a fact. I live in an old farm house in NJ and we had flying squirrels in the home when we moved in. I thought they were cute so I let them stay the winter. Well they really liked our attic, and removed most of the insulation and chewed every thing they could. After they where done with the attic. They made their way down to the first floor where they took up residency in out kitchen ceiling; you could actually see then run across the ceiling and threw the florescent lighting. With two cats and a pit-bull running threw the kitchen crashing into everything trying to catch the ceiling dwellers, oh my god what a mess we had, we have since caught all the fuzzy little critters to the north forty, but I do not think they are cute anymore at least not in my home. If they where in your attic once they will come back. They are by no means stupid, they are beyond smart.
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Dec 10, 2005, 05:34 AM
    you can buy Live Animal Traps on line on places like EBAY and other sites. they look like this. or I checked and in Georgia there are pet smarts, you can purchase these traps for around 30.00, or Pet co's in you area I hope this is some what helpful to you.

Dec 10, 2005, 06:12 AM
    Thank you guys. My dad says he's going to get the trap. He says he tried to kill it but doesn't have the heart to do it now.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 10, 2005, 06:45 AM
    Animal
    First of course in GA most phone books have listing for people that come and catch wild animals.

Next almost every town has a TSC Tractor Supply Company, they sell small animal traps. Good for all sortsof small animals,

You trap the animal and let him loose somewhere else.

Note, they can do serious damage to your home, eat though wires, destroy insulation, and so much more. I have seen them almost destroy garages. Also they ( no matter how cute) carry various mites and disease.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 10, 2005, 03:37 PM
    Crankiebabie
    :) Don't forget to find where they came in and plug/repair! :cool:
    ynotus Posts: 8, Reputation: 3

Feb 16, 2006, 06:43 AM
    To keep squirrels out of your attic hang a black rubber snake up near the eves of your roof!Squirrels are scared of snakes!We use to live at a Texas lake,every time you turned around there was homes burning down!Not homes with snakes!Good Luck:p
    lubu Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2007, 06:53 PM
    I have a phobia about squirrels, whenever I see one I have goosbumps then I shiver for a bit, even thinking about them makes me feel cold inside.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Attic bath [ 1 Answers ]

I'm finishing the attic space and need help connecting a shower and toilet together. A 3" drain and hot/cold supply lines have already been run up from the crawl space but pop up close to the eaves of the space. So I have got to come across a few joists to my fixtures. Because of the head room,...

Bathroom in Attic [ 1 Answers ]

Im thinking of adding a bathroom to my attic. I would like to know if I need to run new piping from the first floor, I believe this is all under concrete also. Or, can I hook up to the existing piping and vent pipe that is in the attic presently. Please respond ASAP... thank you.

Red Squirrel making hole in Magnolia Tree [ 1 Answers ]

We have a large magnolia tree in our back yard and a little red squirrel is enlarging a crack in the tree. We are afraid that the tree will die. He has made it almost big enough to get in to. Should we patch the hole? What is a good thing to patch it with? The tree is very near our bird feeders...

Attic condensation [ 1 Answers ]

I have a feeling I know the answer to my query but I have to ask to be sure. My home is a quad level (tri-level with a full basement) when I was up in the attic over the weekend checking out insulation levels I noticed that on the underside of the north facing roof I had some condensation dripping...

Attic bathroom [ 5 Answers ]

Hi - we want to add a bathroom in our attic, right above existing bathrooms, but can't do 'the right thing' with running a new vent stack line to tie in fixtures below the existing units. My question is: If we put in this bathroom, which would be wet venting everything, what problems will it...

View more questions Search