Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pureak Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2008, 11:39 AM
    How does the condo association know I am renting out my unit?
    Hi, I am an owner of a condo which should be occupied by owner only per the bylaws. I relocated because of the job change. The unit is empty now. If I let my close friend move in, will the association find out the unit is not owner occupied? If they do, is there any way to work around so my friend can live there trouble-free? Thank you very very much!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2008, 12:44 PM
    Only problem in doing that is if you have a neighbor who knows what you look like and you are suddenly not there and someone else is. What are the consequences of having your friend live there? I don't know - you'll have to look into your by laws and see what you could be facing legal wise. I don't know of any way you can just "work around it" so your friend could live there and do it legally as there is no way to do this legally without you being there.
    pureak Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2008, 01:05 PM
    Thanks, Twink, for the answer.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2008, 07:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pureak
    Hi, I am an owner of a condo which should be occupied by owner only per the bylaws. I relocated because of the job change. The unit is empty now. If I let my close friend move in, will the association find out the unit is not owner occupied? If they do, is there any way to work around so my friend can live there trouble-free? Thank you very very much!

Posting on two different boards only confuses the issue - you weren't happy with the other answers (on the legal board)?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Allocated Parking spots in a condo association [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am the treasurer of an association, and I would like to find out how to get the answers to the following: I need to prove that the association owns limited common elements like parking spots. Individual deeds don't show anything about deeded spots, but the original owners of the condo...

Condo association rights re:eviction in Florida [ 7 Answers ]

I have been living in a condo unit in Florida for 14 months. I rent from the unit owner, and I have never been late with the rent. I recently learned that unit owners must have their prospective tenants screened by the condo association (my landlord never shared that info. With me). The association...

Condo Association vs my roommate [ 4 Answers ]

I live in an adult condo association in Florida and the other day I received a certified letter stating that I cannot have a roommate unless this person is dispossessed. This roommate is also above the age 55 requirement and I cannot conceive how by law that the condo association can tell me who...

Condo Association Membership Denial; Financial Requirements [ 9 Answers ]

I own a $400K condo free and clear in Southern California. The Condo Association's board has refused to accept me as a member because my "taxable net income" is below their stated income requirement. My gross income is far above their requirements, but because I use tax law to lower my tax...

View more questions Search