Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marianalizzie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2011, 07:21 AM
    Removing non biological father from birth certificate?
    What is the time limit of removing non biological father from a birth certificate? I live in NY. I am married and my husband is not a bio father of my child.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2011, 07:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by marianalizzie View Post
    what is the time limit of removing non biological father from a birth certificate? I live in NY. I am married and my husband is not a bio father of my child.
    Because you were married, your husband is automatically assumed to be the child's father. The only way to change the listed father's name on the BC is through a court order.

How old is the child? Did you have a DNA test done to confirm who the child's father is?
    kcomissiong Posts: 1,166, Reputation: 276
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2011, 06:41 AM
    A child born in wedlock is the child of your husband, regardless of the actual paternity. You would not just have to disprove his parentage, but prove who the father is. That man can then petition to have the birth certificate changed. (JudyKayTee is great for NY questions... she can probably shed more light on the actual process, and if there are time limits)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 15, 2011, 09:25 AM

If you were married at the time of birth, your husband is presumed to be the father and IS the legal father until a court orders otherwise.

Does the bio father want to assert his rights?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legal Father Is Not Biological Father - How Do I Change The Birth Certificate? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a question, I have a 9 year old. I'm married and my husband's name in on the Birth Certificate of my 9 year old. I would like to tell my daughter who her real father is. I called her bio father and he does not want to do the DNA to see if it is his daughter. What are my options? Can he...

Putting biological father on birth certificate, and changing name back to biological [ 8 Answers ]

My mom and my stepfather are deceased and I'm an adult and want my biological father and my name changed back to his name since it was done without his consent, he is still alive and agrees. Can the courts do this?

Biological father not on birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

My common law spouse and I have been together for 6 years. He is the biological father of our twins. However, I did not include his name in the birthcertificate. We are now planning to get married. How do I go about putting his name on their birth certificate?

Removing the non-biological father off birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend signed the birth certificate and we did a Legal DNA test through DNA diagnostic and found that he is not the biological father. I determined how to change my sons last name, but I do not know how or what to file in order to remove him as the legal father from the birth certificate in...

View more questions Search