Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    laib3333 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2011, 11:04 PM
    Parental rights
    I have full custody of my son, his dad had not paid any child support and has not seen him in almost a year and half and I have offered visits and he has denied them. Is there a way I can get his rights relinquished?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 10, 2011, 11:12 PM

It doesn't work that way. Please find and read the stickies on the Family Law board. If you don't see them, please post here again.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2011, 06:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by laib3333 View Post
    I have full custody of my son, his dad had not paid any child support and has not seen him in almost a year and half and i have offered visits and he has denied them. Is there a way i can get his rights relinquished?
    I've requested that your thread be moved, as this is technically a legal question and should be in the Family Law forum.

There is a sticky at the top of the Family Law forum regarding this specific topic, which you can read here. TPR is a very difficult thing to acquire.

Is there a court order for him to pay child support? Has he been established as the child's legal father either through a court-ordered DNA test or by signing an acknowledgment of paternity?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jul 11, 2011, 07:54 AM

Yes, there is.

1. Get married.
    2. Stay married a year.
    3. Get a lawyer.
    4. File for step-parent adoption. This will require getting the permission of the biological father. If he will not give permission, the only way you can go forward is to PROVE that he is a danger to your child.

You should be filing for child support through the COURTS and having it enforced. He doesn't HAVE to pay child support unless it's done legally through the courts. You should also file in court for full physical and legal custody, even though he has not attempted to exert his rights at this time.

Jul 11, 2011, 08:47 AM
    Sorry for posting it here I was unaware of the place I was supposed to post this, how can I move it? He is court ordered to do so he has even had his license revoked from not paying, he has supervised visits on Saturdays if he wants but has not done so

Jul 11, 2011, 08:54 AM
    Oregon
    I have full custody of my son, his dad had not paid any child support and has not seen him in almost a year and half and I have offered visits and he has denied them. Is there a way I can get his rights relinquished? He is court ordered to pay and has even lost his license due to not paying. He has supervised visits but has not taken advantage of them.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jul 11, 2011, 08:57 AM

It has already been moved for you.

However, no court is going to take away parental rights simply because someone doesn't visit. It doesn't work that way.

He's not even USING his rights--why bother taking them away?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 11, 2011, 09:04 AM

Did you read the sticky note that you were linked to?

A court is going to ask you what Synnen asked. They are going to say he is not exercising his rights so why bother terminating them?

For future reference, when first using a site like this is pays to browse around a bit first. Very often you will get a better sense of where to post, how to post as well as possibly finding an answer to your question already posted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parental rights of the father after signing over rights in adoption [ 2 Answers ]

My son is nineteen he and his girlfriend hide her pregnancy for six months, during that time they met a couple and decided to put the baby up for adoption. After we found out about the baby they told us that they had started the process of adoption. My son said he had signed over his parental...

Child rights as well as parental rights [ 5 Answers ]

I know this is asked over and over again but I'm still confused. I have an almost 11 year old who wants nothing to do with her father. He has not been very faithful to her in the past 10 years. 6 years ago her fathers girlfriend abused her by hitting her and unfortunately the state of NJ did not...

Parental rights [ 206 Answers ]

In another thread I complained of groups like PP imposing their agenda on our children without regard to parental values. Don't worry about it I was told, who's saying the parents can't be the parents? Here we go... Is it the public school's place to instill their values in our children in...

Rights of mother who's parental rights have been terminated [ 5 Answers ]

I am engaged to a man who is divorced and has a 3.5 year old son. The birth mother signed over parental rights in the 12th Judicial Circuit in Florida in Nov 2006 and has not seen her son since then. We are looking into filing the adoption paperwork a year after we marry so that I am legally...

What rights does a parent give when they sign over parental rights? [ 2 Answers ]

When I was 16 my mom signed over her parental rights, I am now 23 and have a kid. What rights to her grand kid does she have?

View more questions Search