Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mowmowmow Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2008, 03:37 PM
    Newish lawnmower doesn't keep running
    Can someone please tell me why a 3 month old lawnmower won't run? It ran perfectly up until today. I mean, there was no hint of a problem until I tried to use it today. Now, it starts up rather vigorously, but then struggles for a moment and then stalls. It stalls especially quickly if I try to set it down on some grass (and likewise, if I leave it tipped up, it'll run longer, but not much). It has gas and it has oil. I saw the gas cap tip in some other threads and will give that a try, but can those things become plugged after only a partial season of use? And I store it in a garage if that helps. Also, the gas in it is fresh (i.e. wasn't from an old can or anything. In fact the can is new as well - bought it just for this lawn mower). Thanks in advance.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 16, 2008, 11:37 AM
    So you tried it with the gas cap removed and there was no improvement, right?

Sep 16, 2008, 12:21 PM
    I haven't had a chance to, yet. ;-) My "mow" time was yesterday. It may have to wait until this weekend.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2008, 12:36 PM
    Air filter. Temporarily run without one.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 16, 2008, 12:42 PM
    We will wait for your test this weekend. Try both, no cap and no filler but just for a test do not leave it that way.

Sep 21, 2008, 03:09 PM

I was able to get someone to take a look at it and they found nothing wrong. So, verdict: I was probably flooding it. After some instruction in how to not prime it too much (hehe) and how to do a little basic maintenance, I'm back to mowing.

<-- not especially mechanically inclined. I'm not a *complete* idiot, though. The thing ran fine all summer with me pushing the bulb 4 times (despite the instructions saying 3). I pushed it 4 times because I found it always started on the second or third pull after 4 primes, but it would take *at least* 3 pulls or more if I only primed it 3 times. Well I guess I will just have to live with pulling the cord a bit more, hehe. I was shown how to clean the air filter so now I'm thinking that maybe that was what changed (i.e. it's a bit dirty now after most of a season's worth of use, so perhaps that's why it can no longer handle 4 squirts). I'll clean it all up at the end of the season and hopefully it will be a happy mower next year.
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2008, 03:25 PM
    Remember to run out the gas or add sta-bil fuel stabiliazer in it for winter storage

Sep 21, 2008, 03:29 PM

Yup, will do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lawnmower will not stop running! [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Toro lawnmower, 2 year's old. It has 2 levers that join the stationay handle, one that drives the wheels, and one that drives the engine and blades. It still starts fine, however when I release the handle to disengage the blades and cut the motor - it keeps running. What is going on?

My Compaq Presario 160GB hd running XP is running very slow [ 8 Answers ]

computer is running very slowly in everything, except the internet.anti virus programs and a few anti-spyware programs. Stinger, windows defender, AVG Free, Ad-Aware and spyware Doctor.the computer even restarts randomly by itself! Says Windows has recovered from a serious error. I do not know the...

Lawnmower will not stop running! [ 2 Answers ]

My lawnmower will not stop running once it starts. I tightened the cable that runs from the handle to the engine, no luck. I saw a green wire that is loose - looks like it should be plugged into something. Could this be the problem - is this a ground wire? Do lawnmowers have ground wires?

Bath tub shower spout & head running water running at same time [ 1 Answers ]

I started with a slight dripping problem(sayko system).i decided to replace all 3 stem assemblies together as they all were about 18 years old.after reassembling the new stems(danko brand),turned on the water supply & checked faucets.hot & cold worked fine but when the shower was turned on,water...

View more questions Search