Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brunette375 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2008, 11:40 AM
    Cost of Goods Sold (Multi-step Income Statement)
    Hello, I'm new to this site. I have a homework question that I am confused about. I was wondering if someone could possibly help me with it.

The question asks to find the beginning and ending balance of the cost of goods sold on the multi-step income statement for each fiscal year and I'm not sure how I would find that.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2008, 11:10 PM
    That's a really weird question. There's no such thing as a beginning balance for that accounts. It's an expense account, and expense accounts "close out" to zero at the end of each year, and therefore start over again at zero. So I don't see how you could possibly find it.

And anything found on an income statement should be an ending balance. If they literally mean "find" it -- it's under the net sales. If they mean to calculate it... um, are you doing perpetual method?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Multi-Step Income Statement & Classified Balance Sheet Help! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm new in studying accounting. I have quiz coming up tomorrow and I was wondering how I set up a Certified balance sheet and a multi-step income statement. The example we received was this. On may 1st, 2006 Jane Win began the Jane Win Co. which owns a business selling gift items. She ivested...

Multi-step income statement [ 2 Answers ]

Bug-Off Exterminators provides pest control services and sells extermination products manufacture by other companies. The following table contains the company’s unadjusted trial balance as of December 31, 2005, the end of the company fiscal year. BUG-OFF EXTERMINATORS - December 31, 2005...

Single step and multi step income statement [ 0 Answers ]

I have to make single and multiple statement out of the followng accounts. How can I arrange the following and also I don't know about the last four items (where they will come on the income statement) Sales Revenue item ...

Adjusting Trial Balance for Multi-Step Income Statement [ 1 Answers ]

I have been attempting this problem for about 4 hours, read through the chapter 3 times, and yet I can still not complete this question. :confused: Here is the excel template I looked up to view the format, which also includes the question: Kimmel, Weygandt, Kieso: Financial Accounting:...

View more questions Search