Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lewiswolk Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2008, 01:42 PM
    How to fix sillcock valve that keeps turning and turning
    Hi ,
    I have searched high and low but can not seem to find anything related to my own problem.

I have a sillcok valve that just can not be shut off and with winter coming I am starting to think I will need a plumber but wanted to try myself first.

I removed the screw that holds the tap and then all I have is what looks like a valve and when I remove that I am still left with the piece that connects the tap and there is no bold anywhere to remove the stem assembly.

I thought that all I had to do was remove the bolt holding the assembly and the entire inside would slide out to replace the washer. At least this is what home depot told me to do.

However the faucet piece turns both clockwise and counter clockwise indefinitely so I have no idea how to remove this in order to put a new washer at the end of the stem.

I am thinking I do need a plumber but figured I would take a chance here first.

Any suggestions ?

Sincerely,
    Lewis
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2008, 02:29 PM

Does your valve looks like this see the Image?

John
    Attached Images

Oct 26, 2008, 02:46 PM
    No it looks like this :)

And another angle

Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2008, 03:00 PM

Hello lewiswolk,

See the image below you need to remove the stem and replace the washe at the end, good luck.
    Attached Images

Oct 26, 2008, 03:11 PM

Hi I did remove that and there was no washer behind it. However the problem is the piece in front of where you indicate turns in both directions indefinitely .

So not sure adding a washer where you said will resolve the problem correct ?

By the way really appreciate your time and help.

Lewis

One more thing when I remove the part you state all that comes out is a bolt. I would have been good if the entire stem came out :)
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2008, 03:19 PM

Can you post a picture of this bolt.

You will need to shut off water to the sillcock valve, remove the stem and the nut take it to a plumbing supply they will help with the parts you need, good luck.

John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My shower faucet keeps turning and turning. [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, my shower faucet has to be almost entirely turned around before it comes on. This just happened today. . Only the cold water.. is that a bad valve er something? Thank you in advance:(

How to turn on gas valve behind gas oven after turning off? [ 1 Answers ]

Turn on the valve ehind my gas stove?

AC not turning on when it gets hot [ 1 Answers ]

I have a programmable thermostat set to 77 F but, in the past two days, it has gotten well into the 80's and the heat pump is not kicking on. If I shut the stystem off and turn it back on a few minutes later, it will kick on fine. Any ideas what might be going on?

Tv not turning on [ 4 Answers ]

Hello I Need Help... My Samsung Widescreen Tv Will Not Turn On Anybody??

View more questions Search