Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    educatedhorse_2005 Posts: 500, Reputation: 78

May 24, 2006, 11:14 PM
    If you were president
    If you were president what would you do to fix the Untied States problems.
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2006, 11:33 PM
    Well I guess I'm not really answering your question exactly, because I have no idea how I would do this, but... if I was the leader of any country, my goal would be to make medical care and education (including university) equally available to everyone, regardless of their financial situation. There are many very intelligent and worthy people both in the United States and Canada who can't get a higher education because of their life circumstances. I think if more people were properly educated (and thus could get better jobs, etc) and had better health care, a lot of problems would solve themselves.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2006, 05:30 AM
    Hi,
    What would I do?
    STOP the Gov't wastfull spending, like "pork" spending. For example, in WV, Senator Byrd appropriated millions and millions of dollars for a military base, and it was built. Never been used; and this was years and years ago!
    STOP spending so much money in other countries (of course, not all of it), and start spending more money in America, such as finding Health Care for all Americans here in the United States.
    Other countries have Health Care for their citizens, and as a Gov't, we don't.
    Stop signing Bills into law that contain waste, and start bringing down the National Debt fast.
    Today, we are heading for a housing overload; too many houses not selling... sure signs of an economy in trouble.
    Start telling auto makers they have 2 years to reduce auto emissions to practically nothing, to try stopping the Global Warming, which is real. Auto emissions are the major cause, and start working with other countries, making this a priority, before it's too late.
    Stop the lavish spending by Congress members, using private jets, taking Gov't paid vacations, having a retirement fund spending more money, and life-time health care.
    Start going back to a simpler life for those in Congress. Money is completely out of hand.
    Write new spending laws for the Military; get rid of $100 toilet seats, and $75 hammers!
    These are just some of the things that need changing; with the person responsible for every category made public with how to contact them by the public.
    Best wishes.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 25, 2006, 05:39 AM
    I am no political guru, but the first think I would look at is how to stop how much money a candidate has from being such a big influence on who wins.

I have no clue what the solution would end up being, but I am quite sure that when Abraham Lincoln was elected president it was NOT because of how much money was in his campaign fund.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 25, 2006, 07:22 AM
    The problem with this question is that there are many things known to the occupant of the White House that are not known to the general public. Also, there are many things a President might want to fix that they can't because of political issues.

I will say, if I were in the White House, my concentration would be the economy. A simplified tax code, that would have everyone paying their fair share. Less pork in the budget. Much more stringent oversights on contracts and spending. Keeping the budget balanced against revenue.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 25, 2006, 06:01 PM
    Sadly the President can't really do much, he does not have line item veto of bills, so he can't stop the excess spending, he can not sign certain bills, but the congress can still pass them with enough votes.

He does not declare war, it is congress, and they could stop the war tomorrow by stoping the funding for it.

So you set in the pretty white house, give speeches and try to talk people into passing things your party wants passed.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 30, 2006, 04:16 AM
    I would make lobbying a federal offense and sequester congress until they; solve social security-immigration-jobs-health care-Iraq-term limits-balance the budget-eliminate the irs-reduce gas prices forever-find all the homeland security money(EVERY CENT)-solve anything else I can come up with! Install two port-a-potties in the house and senate chambers one for democrats and one for republicans with a 2 minute time limit! Independents are on there own! They could not leave the chambers until all the work was done to my satisfaction.They can eat cake! :cool: :eek:
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

May 30, 2006, 04:37 AM
    President wouldn't be enough, I would have to be queen at least! :eek:

LOL
    Jonegy Posts: 166, Reputation: 37

Jun 3, 2006, 06:59 PM
    Looking at it from this side of the pond - Who in their right mind would WANT to be president after the deep 'doo-doo' Dubya's is going to leave it in.

I think his parting words to the new incumbant will be "Pick the bones out of THAT !!" :D
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2006, 06:39 AM
    Hello Demonspeeding:

I would end the drug war.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Female president [ 32 Answers ]

How come we never have a girl for a president?

Bush: The WORST President in History? [ 67 Answers ]

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/profile/story/9961300/the_worst_president_in_history?rnd=1145910812680&has-player=true&version=6.0.8.1024 When Bush's lips are moving, he's lying to us, misleading us, or engaged in Orwellian doublespeak. The willfully blind citizens of this country play...

President beliefs [ 1 Answers ]

Hey guys, so I can't really find anything on what these presidents believed in politicaly, so yeah could u help me out? Name- Political Beliefs- George Washington- _____________ John Adams- _____________ Thomas Jefferson- _____________ James Madison- _____________ James Monroe- _____________...

From congress to US President [ 3 Answers ]

Who was the last person to go from US congress to US President? Thanks in advance Fred :confused:

President vs. Congress [ 0 Answers ]

Should the President or Congress lead the country? Why? Is it possible to have both lead at the same time? If yes, how? If no, why not?

View more questions Search