Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    miamibeachjohn Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2006, 12:46 PM
    watercolor paper
    I am curious to know what different weight paper is about. I see advertised 80 lb, 140 lb and 300 lb paper but wonder what effect this will have on my artwork... also coldpressed and hot pressed. I think I understand that one is grainy and rough surface and other is smooth... I prefer a little texture and the paper also must be strong because I make changes and need to blot with fresh clear water... sometimes/often :)

also what about long term (10 years, example) concerns for future value of my watercolor art work and what will maintain color and like-new look the best, assuming artwork is not framed or vacumm sealed somehow.

I like yassy russian pans to work with because colors are intense and have an attitude, (much like me):D
    ruthmarx Posts: 41, Reputation: 10

May 28, 2009, 10:10 AM

I was reading about the hot vs cold press paper just last night. I'm a novice so take this post with the intent to share information.
    The advice is from Barbara Nechis' book "Watercolor; the creative experience' page 11. I don't recommend this book, I would just look for it in the library.
    'D'arches 140 pound cold press can take a fair amount of scrubbing for correction, and it's smooth but absorbent surface is ideal for fluid washes.. . Hot-press surfaces are totally non-absorbent. They are ideal for ink, line, and painting where crisp edges or scrapeouts are needed.. . Rough paper is excellent for stressing testure. Graded washes take a little extra effort in that the white bumps of the paper tend to reappear unless they are strenuously covered... '
    Somewhere I read that the higher the weight, the more water the paper can absorb and the longer the painting can be worked during one sitting.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need help on history paper [ 4 Answers ]

Hi and thanks whoever is going to help I'm having a subject on Vietnam war and I need sources with various pictures. Yes I need a lot of PICTURES, not documents. Thanks.

Research paper help [ 2 Answers ]

I am doing my first research paper and I am attempting to explain the positive effects on society from a. edgar allen poe b. mae west c. industrial rock And how these groups are examples of different types of controversy that are positive to our culture Do you have any suggestions on how I...

I remember a paper cut... [ 2 Answers ]

Please help me figure out the title of this movie; I think it's from the 80s. Here is what I remember: Some sort of soldier or officer wakes up and is told that the war has been over for awhile and they need to debrief him about his role in it. People are asking him all sorts of questions. ...

View more questions Search