Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cookie123 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2005, 03:50 PM
    He can't make up his mind
    In October 2004, I met a guy at university and I haven't been the same person since. I completely adore him and I can't think of anything I wouldn't do for him. He doesn't feel quite as strongly back though.

We have been dating on and off for around a year and it is always him who does the dumping and re-initiating. When we break up, it's because 'we get on too well and it's freaking him out' and when we get back together it's because 'he misses me and can't live without me'.

He is a complete commitment-phobe and seems happiest when we are hanging out, being loved-up but without the girlfriend/boyfriend label. I however would love to be his proper girlfriend again.

Altogether, he has dumped me five times and we are not officially back together at the moment (but casually sleeping together). The first time he broke up with me was to see whether he could get anyone better than me, the second because he did actually find someone better (it didn't last because she was pretty but deadly boring), the final three times because he was freaked out about committing to one person.

My self-esteem is on the decline because of this constant blowing hot and cold, and I never know where I stand. I feel as though he is ashamed of me or that I am inadequate. I am miserable without him, but miserable with him.

Any ideas? :confused:
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Dec 10, 2005, 04:04 PM
    I feel sorry for you, do not let him do this to you; anymore move on please, you will only miserable with out him for a little while. You said it yourself “My self-esteem is on the decline because of this constant blowing hot and cold” if he is dragging you down drop him. There are other people out there for you. Be positive talk to your friends parents siblings see what they think. I hope this was in some way helpful to you, and good luck, Donna
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 10, 2005, 04:45 PM
    Idea
    Yes, dump this jerk, you will be much better off finding someone who will not blow with the wind to any pretty girl that goes by.

Next stop sleeping with someone that you at least don't have a commitment with.
    momincali Posts: 641, Reputation: 242

Dec 10, 2005, 06:02 PM
    Please forgive me for saying because it's going to sound a bit harsh. Casually sleeping with this guy without a commitment is kind of like being an unpaid whore. Think about it, you give what is expected, what is wanted, what is not is rejected and there is no money involved.

I know nothing would please you more than to have a lasting and serious relationship with this guy but that's not what he's offering you. You are not a yo-yo to be pushed away and reeled in at his will. Let me ask you, would you introduce your daughter to a man like that? "Here honey, here's this guy who wants to hang out with you and do you but will give you nothing in return..." I would imagine not.

If you want others to respect you, you must respect yourself first. Taking anyone back five times is a joke!

I promise you that if you move on and don't look back, no matter what, you will find someone who is willing to give you everything. Someone who has the same desires you do and see's and loves what you have to give.

It's hard. Yeah, so what. Anything is easier said than done. Brushing your teeth is easier said than done but it must be done if you don't want your teeth to fall out right, it just requires effort. Every time you think of taking this guy back repeat to yourself outloud, "Taking him back means taking 10 steps backwards in my life and wasting more of my precious time." Taking him back puts you that much farther away from the man who is waiting to commit to you without requiring you remove your underwear first.
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Dec 10, 2005, 06:13 PM
    He is a loser. Period. End of subject.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2005, 07:42 PM
    At this point, I'd back off and let him be alone for a while so he can think things over. Get out with new friends or contact some old ones. Start dating some other men. So far he's been in complete control of this relationship and everything's been on-again, off-again at his conveinience.Above all, no more "casual sleeping together." He gets no more "action" until he's made a real commitment to you. Ever hear the old saying "Why buy the cow if you can get the milk for free?" Unfortunately this is a classic example of just that sort of thing. You need to take back your power in this whole situation. Make him miss you and want to pursue you. I think that if you become a little more aloof towards him you'll find him paying much more attention to you. Then the ball will be in your court and you'll have the power which is what you want. Good luck!
    rkim291968 Posts: 261, Reputation: 34

Dec 11, 2005, 12:21 AM
    One more vote for dumping the selfish boy. Dump him to look for a boyfriend, dump him again when you find a better boyfriend, dump him 3 more times just because. Seriously, you appear to be young and still in univ and meeting young man of your dream shouldn't be that hard. Well, it can be hard but trying is half the fun, no?

:cool:
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2005, 04:50 AM
    Dump and back
    Hi,
    He has "dumped" you 5 times?
    "Casually sleeping together?"
    You must really like this person, or be in love with him. Love "blinds" people sometimes, because I have been there and done that! At 63, married 28 yrs, I can look back and see where this happened to me many yrs. Ago.
    Look at the first two sentences.
    This guy is only out for sex with you. I do hope you will can begin to recover from him, and maybe meet some new men. Talking with others is the best way to being "healing" from him.
    You don't need him, and I sincerely hope you will stop seeing him, don't communicate with him at all.
    It takes some time, but eventually you will meet a man who respects you, cares for you, and wants to please you (not himself all the time). I do wish you the best, and please start looking elsewhere, and time will help you get over him.

Dec 11, 2005, 05:02 AM
    It's so hard though
    I'm finding it really difficult to take everyone's advice. His father died when he was about 16 and he has said he finds it hard to bond with people for fear of losing them. But on the other hand he has said that he doesn't want to get to 45, look back and realise he wasted his youth by spending it with me. I have tried speaking to him about everything, but he just changes the subject and makes a joke out of everything. I am there for him through everything, but he doesn't want to know.

It hurts so much. The university I attend is tiny and I see him everywhere. I get on well with his friends and they think I'm weird if I blank him, then talk to him on and off all of the time. I am pretty easy to get along with, but I find myself getting angry with him and he doesn't understand why.

I'm completely lost. :confused:
    dimples Posts: 256, Reputation: 9

Dec 11, 2005, 07:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie123
    I'm finding it really difficult to take everyone's advice. His father died when he was about 16 and he has said he finds it hard to bond with people for fear of losing them. But on the other hand he has said that he doesn't want to get to 45, look back and realise he wasted his youth by spending it with me. I have tried speaking to him about everything, but he just changes the subject and makes a joke out of everything. I am there for him through everything, but he doesn't want to know.

It hurts so much. The university I attend is tiny and I see him everywhere. I get on well with his friends and they think I'm weird if I blank him, then talk to him on and off all of the time. I am pretty easy to get along with, but I find myself getting angry with him and he doesn't understand why.

I hate to say this but what kind of self esteem do you have? Do you love yourself well enough? You let him treat you like a rag & you still want him? C'mon, you can do better than that. The first thing to loving someone is loving yourself first. I learned that the hard way. When you want to be respected, respect yourself first. Let him treat you the way you want to be treated. When he knows he can just throw you aside like a ragdoll, he will. And men do not want pathetic women to begin with. There is beauty in strength, missy. When you can stand on your own two feet & not depend on a man for your happiness, that is when you really feel free. So, do yourself a favor & forget about this commitment phobic jerk who will just make your life miserable.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2005, 12:07 PM

It's sad that he lost his father at such a young age. BUT, do not, I repeat DO NOT make excuses for him or allow him to make excuses for himself. Those things that he's said to you are just that ; excuses and nothing more. He needs to get his act together and grow the "hello" up and make some decisions. Until he does he isn't worth the time of day. Franakly, I don't even know how he's surviving at university. Does he give sob stories like that to his professors every time he misses a class or is late turning in an assignment? I think you know the answer to that as well as I do. Remember, YOU make the rules and the ball is in YOUR court. If he wants to be with you, then it's on YOUR terms and only your terms. Take back your power in this relationship NOW. Cut off any and all contact with him until he comes around and starts playing it straight with you. If you want a firm commitment from him, then a firm commitment it is and you settle for nothing less. He'll come around sooner or later, one way or the other. It may not turn out the way you want it to, but if it doesn't then ultimately it's in your best interests and you walk away from this one. If he really wants to be with you, then he'll accept your terms and conditions.
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Dec 11, 2005, 05:12 PM
    In October 2004, I met a guy at university and I havent been the same person since. I completely adore him and I can't think of anything I wouldn't do for him. He doesnt feel quite as strongly back though.

We have been dating on and off for around a year and it is always him who does the dumping and re-initiating. When we break up, it's because 'we get on too well and it's freaking him out' and when we get back together it's because 'he misses me and can't live without me'.

He is a complete commitment-phobe and seems happiest when we are hanging out, being loved-up but without the girlfriend/boyfriend label. I however would love to be his proper girlfriend again.

Altogether, he has dumped me five times and we are not officially back together at the moment (but casually sleeping together). The first time he broke up with me was to see whether he could get anyone better than me, the second because he did actually find someone better (it didn't last because she was pretty but deadly boring), the final three times because he was freaked out about committing to one person.

My self-esteem is on the decline because of this constant blowing hot and cold, and I never know where I stand. I feel as though he is ashamed of me or that I am inadequate. I am miserable without him, but miserable with him.

Any ideas? :confused:
    Walk away from this guy. You cannot make someone love you. People who are afraid of commitments start each new relationship with high, and usually unrealistic expectations. But it doesn't take long for them to feel suffocated and trapped by the thought of a long-term commitment. There is nothing you can do about this, he has issues that he needs to work through. You have to start building up your self-esteem, it's important that you feel good about yourself. You will eventually get over this guy and you will find someone who will treat you good. Just take one day at a time and make it the best it can be.
    momincali Posts: 641, Reputation: 242

Dec 12, 2005, 12:36 PM
    [QUOTE=cookie123] ... realise he wasted his youth by spending it with me." If that doesn't send you running, I don't know what will.

Cookie, this guy is an egotistical jerkwad. Stick around and be treated like a punching bag. He does not love, value or respect you in any way, shape or form. His dad died when he was young….and that is supposed to pardon his rude and selfish behavior??? On what planet?

"...I find myself getting angry and he doesn't understand why."

He doesn't understand the anger because he is not chaining you to his bedpost, you're free to go at any moment. The anger you feel I think is really directed at yourself because what you put yourself through with this guy is your choice, completely under your control.

"...I'm completely lost."

You're not lost or even confused about what to do. The truth is you know exactly the right thing to do but you refuse to do it. Why? I guess only you know the answer but my best guess would be because you feel a little unlovable maybe? You may fear the unknown, you feel comfort knowing that although he may not treat you well, at least you know what to expect. May I kindly suggest you see a therapist about those notions because they are irrational.

In the meantime, keep your distance from him as though your life depended on it because it does. Right now, it is in this pitiful state of purgatory and you can not go forward until you understand yourself a little better. I know you said it is a small university but it can be done. Whatever it takes, change your number, your email address, get a big hungry dog and let him loose if he should come within 50 feet of you…I would wish you luck but luck has nothing to do with it. You’ll either take a stand for yourself and stop playing games with this guy or you won’t.
    jeffatl Posts: 489, Reputation: 83

Dec 12, 2005, 03:54 PM
    You know that saying "why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free"? Its true. You are letting this guy get exactly what he wants, all of the perks of having a relationship, but without actually having one. This guy has you on a string and you are doing whatever he wants you to. He isn't sleeping with you to get back with you, he is sleeping with you because he can. I hate to see girls get caught up in this because it sucks! This guy has zero respect for you, drop him while you can... he is a loser. :rolleyes:

Jan 7, 2006, 01:32 PM
    Thank you
    I just want to say thank you to everyone who replied to my message. I still haven't found the strength to walk away... I keep on giving him that one last chance... but bit by bit our little relationship is dying off, hopefully it won't be long until it fades away altogether.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the input,

Cookie123xxc :o
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2006, 01:42 PM
    Do not let him do this to you again. Sounds like he is playing with you. Do you want to be played or do you want to be with somebody that really truly wants to be with you and treat you right.

Joe
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 7, 2006, 01:49 PM
    Strength
    What strength, what you are doing is saying I am stupid enough to let this guy do this to me again.

Merely telling him that you are worth more than this and that he does not deserve someone like you.

A man who prefers to lie and tell you what you want to hear and then do nothing ( maybe for a week or two) is not worth the time to take out the trash.

Remember, just one more time, is just one more time next time and the next time. If you are going to leave him do it or you are merely saying you like being treated this away, since you know how he is
    jeffatl Posts: 489, Reputation: 83

Jan 7, 2006, 01:49 PM
    ARG! This guy will never just "fade away" if you don't let him, now you are just hurting yourself and have nobody to blame but YOU. It obvious you know this is a BAD situation for you to be in, yet you keep getting knee deep in it... WHY! He doesn't want a 2nd chance or he would have taken it by now... WAKE UP!! This guy sounds like a real jerk, and he does only like controlling you sweetie. Jesushelper is dead on here. If you like this masochistic relationship, keep it up. All it will do is make you bitter, mean, and not trust anyone ever again. *SIGH* Just stop talking to him, and let this guy go, once and for all!!

Jan 7, 2006, 02:05 PM
    I know, I know
    I do get it, I get what everyone is saying to me. I get what a complete loser I am being by allowing myself to be strung along by this guy. It's just hard to switch off all of my feelings and be cold to him.
    cfablemaster Posts: 30, Reputation: 4

Jan 7, 2006, 02:41 PM
    Lifes what u make it
    DO WAT U FEEL IS RIGHT FOLO UR HEART I'm ONLY 13 AND I KNOW A lot ABOUT LIFE!! DO WAT U FEEL IS RIGHT NOT WAT OTHERS THINK IS RIGHT!
    I followed my heart and so far I've ended up bak at the beginning but...
    Someday I hope and KNOW I will do the right things. Not becus of what som1 else suggested but by following my heart. If you believe in what I'm saying reply to this...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Going out of my mind! [ 3 Answers ]

Hey I need some help finding the name of a song I just don't know. I heard it awhile ago, it had something to do with "if you had to walk in their shoes", some one was a prostitute or a drug addict. I am not sure who sings this song or what the title is but I am sure it was a make singer. It had a...

Can't get her off my mind [ 5 Answers ]

Many of you have read this earlier in different strings but I can't get her off my mind. I met the most amazing woman 15 years ago but our lives were on different paths. There was a definite chemistry between us. However we never got together. Recently after a painful divorce for me and the...

Fan has mind of its own [ 5 Answers ]

I switched on my Carrier 58GS075-BA last weekend to cool down my house, and the fan never stopped running. The thermostat is in the off position, and the fan kept running, doesn't seem to matter if its on heat or cool. I stopped the fan with the on/off switch on the side of the furnace. Last night...

The power of the mind [ 8 Answers ]

Wasn't sure where I could post this. This was a bulliten posted on Myspace.com. I had seen it before but Im glad it came around again... I always thought it was fascinating. No, there's no question here... I just wanted to share

I have a mind of my own! [ 14 Answers ]

I am 17yrs old and I am going to get married to the most wonderful man I have ever met. He treats me well and is very mature (he is also 17, but will turn 18 in 2 months). He told my dad of my plans and he flipped! He thinks that I am doing it because my boyfriend said so. He raised me to be a very...

View more questions Search