Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JAGman1988 Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2008, 03:39 PM
    Computer stops repsonding when booting
    Okay I have a major problem that I have no idea how to fix at this point. When I turn my computer on, it will stop responding every time. I tried putting in my windows xp disk to reinstall it but it won't even get that far because it just stops and won't respond. My keyboard stops working and pretty much my computer freezes. It still detects my hard drive is there so I have no idea what is going on in that thing. Help please!!
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2008, 03:47 PM
    Can you get into the BIOS? If so, try and set default settings and restart to see if that helps
    Post back

Jun 9, 2008, 03:53 PM
    I did what you said and it let me to got this screen that said something along the lines of start windows xp(bootscreen) or just start windows xp, something like that. Now it won't even get that far... :/
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2008, 04:03 PM
    Any changes that either happened or that you perhaps made to your computer around the time that the problem started; particularly any software or hardware that you installed or setup.

Did it just start happening, Try tapping the F8 key when starting the PC to see if you can make it to the boot menu option screen, if you get this far, choose Last known good configuration option

In your bios, make sure the cd rom is set to boot first and see if you can do a repair installation - it seems you have tried this but make sure cd rom as first boot device

Repair Installation
    A Repair Install will replace the system files with the files on the XP CD used for the Repair Install. It will leave your applications and settings intact, but Windows updates will need to be reapplied.

A Repair Install will replace files altered by adware and malware, but will not fix an adware, malware problem.
    Perform a Repair Installation

Jun 9, 2008, 04:35 PM
    OK sorry for the wait. I got to the screen you talked about and choose last known best config and it took me to a black screen and didn't do anything else. I'm starting to think that the longer I leave my computer off, the further it lets me go until it freezes on me, just a thought. Now there are two things I did do that might cuase a problem. I was changing my whole computers theme around to a half life theme(a game) I did change my boot screen I think, maybe just my login screen, I don't remember. Second thing is I slaved a 20 gig hd to my computer when I first shut it down after changing my theme around. I don't know if either of these would cause it to freeze but there you go.
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2008, 04:46 PM
    Does the BIOS see the 2nd drive connected as ? When you attached the 2nd drive, how did you "slave the drive" the same ribbon cable or another cable> what type of drive is it IDE?

Disconnect the 20 gig drive and try to boot to see if that may be the issue

Jun 9, 2008, 04:53 PM
    I used the same connection cable to connect both drives. As far as your other question on the ide, I have no clue because I disconnected it once the problem arose thinking that might be causing it. Only my original drive is connected at the moment. Which it is detecting that one thankfully. I know this isn't too much help for you but this is all I know. Its freezing a lot on me and I have no clue why, at this point, I'm OK with erasing my hd if that's the problem but I don't think it is because I unplugged all hard drives one time and it still froze on me.
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2008, 05:01 PM
    Try tapping the F8 on startup to get to the boot menu and choose safe mode, if you can get into safe mode see if you can uninstall the theme that you added, hopefully it won't come down to reinstalling, not sure how you added the theme through and install program or used the appearance option in display settings

Safe mode, right click desktop , properties and the theme tab - see if you can change it back to the one you had

Of the 2 options above, see what will work for you, see if you can uninstall theme or change theme

Jun 9, 2008, 05:09 PM
    I clicked safe mode and it started I guess checking or loading files on this black screen, then about 5 seconds into it it frooze on me again, it just won't let me get into my computer at all, just keeps freezing, like my processor is freezing which its not because I put it in this computer at it worked flawlessly...
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2008, 05:12 PM
    Well, if you are able to make it to the boot menu you should be able to boot the computer with the cd in the drive and attempt the repair installation

Make sure cd rom is set to boot first and then see if you can do the repair installation posted above

But if you can get to that menu, you should be able to boot to cd rom

Jun 9, 2008, 05:18 PM
    I'll try it, but the more you help me, the more I start to think it's a problem dealing with another part of my computer instead of the hard drive simply because it freezes just the same when my hd isn't connected... but I'll give it a try and post again in about 20 minutes
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2008, 05:27 PM
    The problem sounds like the OS cannot start whether you are trying normal mode or safe mode the OS is just freezing, just trying to eliminate possiblilites. Does you PC have a floppy drive or do you have a portable flash drive. If so you can try to boot with one of these with a startup disk. To be able to do this you would have to set your bios to boot to the floppy or the usb if your PC supports that.

If you do have floppy or flash disk that can be booted to, copy the files in the link below to either a floppy or the flash drive and try to boot machine with either the floppy or USB and have your XP disc in the cd rom drive

The files in the download are starup files that will give you cd rom support at a DOS prompt

If your cd rom is d:, at the DOS prompt type, d: <enter>
    Then type setup, this should start the setup for XP
    Now try to do the repair install from there

RapidShare: 1-Click Webhosting

Name of file: Startup_Disk.rar

The file is safe, I had uploaded it myself
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2008, 06:01 PM
    Any luck

Jun 9, 2008, 06:01 PM
    OK I went there, got the file, unzipped it and put every individual file into a floppy disk, there was another zipped file within that temp folder(the original zip file) so I took the files out of it and put them in temp folder with the other files, is that what I should have done
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2008, 06:04 PM
    All of the files in the temp folder should be the only files on the disk you copied to, leave the cab file as is

Jun 9, 2008, 06:09 PM
    Sorry I want to make sure I get this right to the t. all I do is extract the files to the floppy, now do I leave the cab file in there or do I take it out, and should I leave them in the temp folder or should I just have them openly on the floppy?
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2008, 06:16 PM
    No temp folder on the floppy, just the files themselves, when you click on A: drive you should have 18 files including the cab file (18 files total)

Now with the BIOS set to boot to floppy drive first, restart or start PC with xp disc in cd rom the comp should boot to DOS promt with cd rom support

Jun 9, 2008, 06:26 PM
    OK I put the floppy in and its taking me automatically to the window that says safe mode etc.. . what should I pick or should it even be taking me there

Jun 9, 2008, 06:30 PM
    Whoa OK... something is happening that is new. Right now its saying ntldr is missing press any key to restart, and when I press any key it keeps saying the same thing BUT my computer hasn't frooze yet and its been like that for over a minute now which it hasn't gone half that long without freezing on me. This is new so it means something is kind of going right in a sense haha hmmm
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2008, 06:30 PM
    You have to make sure in the bios that the floppy drive is the first boot device

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computer stops at a black screen with a flashing cursor [ 2 Answers ]

I have an HP Pavilion 743g. When I turn on my computer, the HP logo flashes on the screen, then it goes to a black screen with a flashing cursor. I have tried to hit f8 to put the computer in save mode, but the windows advanced options menu doesn't come up. Also I have hit f10 to do a system...

Computer keeps booting [ 4 Answers ]

I have a computer that keeps booting after the xp logo goes off. You see the screen flash on and off a couple of times and it goes back to the beginning. I've tried disconnecting everything and still the same. I've hit the F8 key and tried to go into safe mode and that quits after it shows safe...

NTSF on booting up computer [ 3 Answers ]

When my computer is booting up, it goes to a blue page that says Disk Check C and if I hit any key within 10 seconds it will skip this. One time it went through 5 folders for disk check on C program and I had to let it finish. How do I get rid of this when I turn on my laptop? I don't know what...

Computer reboots by itself/Windows stops responding or freezes [ 8 Answers ]

I am an owner of a MAXDATA PC (FAVORIT 3000 I M08 UK) and I am facing two major problems at the moment: 1. I cannot enter Windows XP 2. The computer reboots by itself just before entering Windows I don't really know much about computers, and I am scared to do anything... Can anyone help...

Computer not powering off or booting up [ 3 Answers ]

The led light are flashning but PC not booting or powering off need help on what to check .first thanks guys . All I can tell adout the specs are it has a M7VIG 400 mother board , KVR 333 mem / 256

View more questions Search