Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    guest2 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2012, 05:59 PM
    Samsung Refrigerator RFG297 ice maker stopped
    I have a Samsung refrigerator model RFG297 . The ice maker has stopped making ice, I can fill it will Ice from and other source and it will crush and dispense fine, but it will not fill with water and make it's own ice. I have changed the filter and tried to reset the unit but still no go. Also when I press the "test button" on the ice maker unit nothing happens . Thank you for your advice and help. The freezer temperature is -2 F so I know it is cold enough. What is wrong is it the water valve and I can switch the water source from the water dispoenser to the ice maker line to check it , or could it be the touch panel gone bad or what else. Thanka again.
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2012, 07:56 AM
    It sounds like you could need a water valve, but since there are several ways they can fail you need to check the coil with an ohm meter, first. You should read between 1-3 kilo-ohms; if it's open or grounded it's no good. Here are some manuals: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8010163/Sams...rigerators.zip

May 29, 2012, 01:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by drtom4444 View Post
    It sounds like you could need a water valve, but since there are several ways they can fail you need to check the coil with an ohm meter, first. You should read between 1-3 kilo-ohms; if it's open or grounded it's no good. Here are some manuals: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8010163/Sams...rigerators.zip
    Thank you, I will let you know how it goes.

May 29, 2012, 02:45 PM
    I looked at all of the links and there was not instructions for my model RFG297, so I do not know which procedure or codes to use. Do you have a link for model 297? Thank you.

May 30, 2012, 04:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by guest2 View Post
    I looked at all of the links and there was not instructions for my model RFG297, so I do not know which procedure or codes to use. Do you have a link for model 297? thank you.
    Codes are 88 and 89 the 89 code flashes, but I have no idea what the code means. Please help. Thank you for assistance.

Jun 16, 2012, 04:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by guest2 View Post
    codes are 88 and 89 the 89 code flashes, but I have no idea what the code means. Please help. Thank you for assistance.
    Can anyone give me some help with this or even another website to get some help to fix this?
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2012, 08:12 PM
    Use a meter 2 find out what is wrong.

Jun 18, 2012, 03:34 PM
    Use a meter 2 find out what is wrong.
    Thank But I need instructions on what to check wuih the meter and what readings I should get!
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2012, 07:31 PM
    You will need to check the water valve solenoids which have two wires that plug onto each one. You measure where the wires plug onto the solenoids and should read 1-3 kilo-ohms. The microswitch is inside the ice maker and has a button that rides on a cam. Remove the switch and depress the button while pressing the little button and see if the reading goes from zero to infinity on the meter. It's really easy and you can do nothing without learning how to do this. Here is a manual on how to use a meter: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8010163/Whi...e%20Manual.pdf
    Using a meter should be taught in school, it's so basic and necessary.

Jun 18, 2012, 07:51 PM
    You will need to check the water valve solenoids which have two wires that plug onto each one. You measure where the wires plug onto the solenoids and should read 1-3 kilo-ohms. The microswitch is inside the ice maker and has a button that rides on a cam. remove the switch and depress the button while pressing the little button and see if the reading goes from zero to infinity on the meter. It's really easy and you can do nothing without learning how to do this. Here is a manual on how to use a meter: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8010163/Whi...e%20Manual.pdf
    Using a meter should be taught in school, it's so basic and necessary.
    Thank you , I do know how to use a meter, I just do not know where to check the button. I know where the wter valve is but which button are you talking about ? The ice maker test button? Thank you for your help.
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2012, 09:42 PM
    When you pull off the end cover to the ice maker you will look inside and see a plastic cam about 1 1/2" around that rides on a red or brown button on a little rectangular micro-switch that has three wires plugged onto it, usually. Remove that micro-switch and test it. It has a common and a normally open and normally closed switch contact, as all switches of this type have. Test that switch by pressing the button. When you press it NO will close and NC will open.
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2012, 08:00 AM
    When you pull off end cover of ice maker you will see the micro-switch with a button riding on a big plastic cam. That's the one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GE refrigerator ice maker GSS25JFPDWW stop making ice after a new motherboard bought [ 0 Answers ]

I purchased a new motherboard cause it was burned and I got the parts and its working good until the ice making doesn't work it just keep dispensing water and it leaks. What could be the problem?

GE Gold refrigerator ice maker leaking into the ice tub [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 3 year old GE Gold stacked refrigerator/freezer. The ice maker is leaking into the ice bin. The leak is a slow, constant drip that freezes into an icesicle. Annoying. Any advice would be appreciated ! :confused:

Ice maker not making cubes my ge profile ice cube maker has stopped making ice [ 1 Answers ]

Ice maker not making cubes my ge profile ice cube maker has stopped making ice

Whirlpool ice maker stopped making ice [ 2 Answers ]

This happens every few years it seems. The side by side freezer stops making ice. I checked all the water feedlines and they do not appear to be blocked. The unit cycles all the time but it never fills with water... any other items I should be checking? Is there a filter that could get clogged?...

View more questions Search