Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Leeboy Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Feb 22, 2008, 07:52 PM
    Computer Slowing.I am posting the processes
    Lately my computer is bogging down... IEXPLORER keeps popping up in processes... I have no idea what most of the apps/processes are so I am posting them. When nothing is running but my outlook, here is how it looks. If you see something wrong, could you let me know please.. Thanks!
    Attached Images

vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Feb 22, 2008, 08:06 PM
    The svchost processes indicate you've probably got spyware on your computer. That's most likely what's slowing it down. I recommend running AdAware at least weekly, as well as Spybot S&D; both will clean off the spyware (they sometimes find different things). Both are free. You should also be running an antivirus application; the best free one for Windows is probably AVG. Finally, if you're using Internet Explorer for everyday browsing, switch to either Firefox or Opera and you'll be much less likely to pick up spyware and adware. Both of them are free browsers.
    TechEmperor Posts: 93, Reputation: 8

Feb 23, 2008, 04:32 AM
    What makes you think Svchost in his task manager indicates spyware? I have 6 instances of svchost running right now and I guarantee my system is spyware and virus free. He would probably have better luck running CCleaner to speed his system up. The anti-virus and all is still a good idea. But will be unlikely to speed your system up in this case.
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Feb 23, 2008, 08:32 AM
    I answered too quickly without looking closely at his problem - none of the svchost processes are using a lot of CPU time, so they don't indicate spyware. However, I've seen many instances of PCs slowed down to a crawl with spyware and adware, so I stand by my advice. He should have course run CCleaner as well.

Feb 23, 2008, 09:02 AM
    HAHA, I actaully started to stop the Svchost apps and my computer went into some kind of critical shut down mode... I will try CCLEANER, I hope it is easy to use. Thanks for the tips! Another thing I should have told is, my computer is normally really fast. I did a re-format once( My neighbor did it) and he didn't delete all my c-drive, he left a bunch of files and stuff under the Docs and settings. So I have double of a lot of things... I want to delet them, but I'm afraid I will ruin everything. Example. I have a allusers.window folder, a default users folder,a defaultusers.windows folder, a leeboyfolder, and a user folder. I was thinkning maybe this is comfusing the C drive...

Feb 23, 2008, 09:17 AM
    I just ran the CCleaner and it removed almost 1/2 a gig of garbage. My question is should I run the registry cleaner as well or leave that one alone?
    Da Bigchamp Posts: 360, Reputation: 18

Feb 23, 2008, 11:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeboy
    HAHA, i actaully started to stop the Svchost apps and my computer went into some kind of critical shut down mode.......I will try CCLEANER, i hope it is easy to use. Thanks for the tips! Another thing i should have told is, my computer is normally really fast. I did a re-format once( My neighbor did it) and he didnt delete all my c-drive, he left a bunch of files and stuff under the Docs and settings. So i have double of alot of things.....I want to delet them, but im afraid i will ruin everything. example. I have a allusers.window folder, a default users folder,a defaultusers.windows folder, a leeboyfolder, and a user folder. I was thinkning maybe this is comfusing the C drive.....
    I don't think you can confuse the C drive by having a lot of folders with similar names. But since you said your computer is slow and used to be fast, I would recommend the antiviruses that the other guys said.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My computer is slowing down. [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, When I make any action "like changing a web page" my computer slows down and in my Windows task manager it shows that my CPU usage history spike all the way to the top. I haven't added anything new to my computer lately and in fact I have gotten rid of a few things to try to speed it up. I...

Processes [ 2 Answers ]

When I check the processes. I can delete some of them for the one session but they are back on again. How do I get rid of lots of these processes for good. Without costing money for programs? Thank you in advance! I do not know if it matters but I am running xp pro. Joe

Processes [ 8 Answers ]

Can anyone explain why a single processor system can only have one process in the running state at a time? I've tried to find the answer in my textbooks, but they just state the obvious and don't answer why this is so. Does it have to do with scheduling? Resources? Thanks in advance to...

What is slowing down my computer? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm running a 3.0GHz EMT64 CPU, 1GIG of dual-channel memory, Windows 2000Pro (hyperthreading turned off) and a 64-bit capable motherboard of course. When I close or a window such as IE, I can't reopen it from the taskbar although I can still see it open down there. After about 15 seconds, it goes...

View more questions Search