Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests

Sep 11, 2014, 02:24 PM
    Experience with a mirror lens
    Do any of the photography regulars (or anyone else for that matter) have any experience with using a mirror lens? Obviously you get what you pay for... but I'm just curious if anyone on here has any hands-on experience and advice about them. Thank!
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 11, 2014, 05:50 PM
    What type of "mirror" set up are you talking about?

Sep 11, 2014, 06:03 PM
    Generically a 500mm f8 lens, though they are also common in 800mm and some also go down to f6 I believe. Obviously the mirror setup makes it an entirely different lens. Some people complain a lot about it's bokeh and difficulty of use. Was hoping to hear from someone who has actually used one before.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 11, 2014, 08:08 PM
    Here are my thoughts on it. They are ok for some things but you do need to handle them more carefully then a regular lens. The advantage to them is if the design is based on the Schmidt Cassigrian style you can get 3 times the focal length in a relatively short lens. The other down side is it depends on what your using it for as extreme magnification can lead to artifacts near the center of the lends.

Another downside is the a mirrored lens doesnt last forever like a multiglass lens. The mirror can degrade over time and will need replacing to remain at top quality.

Sep 12, 2014, 07:30 AM
    Hmmm, good point. I also never considered the mirror degradation. Still, with price tags well under $200 I guess that should come with the territory. Obviously this isn't an action lens. Was hoping to do some light birding with it. Thanks. If I do get one and I get some decent shots from ill post them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A mirror movie that wasn't about magic in the mirror or the cabbage patch kids. [ 5 Answers ]

The movie was about a young girl that found a mirror and there was a passage or another world through the mirror.. In the end she had to destroy the mirror to stop the jagged teeth monster things from escaping... I'm so having a brain fart I uused to watch this when I was younger. That was only...

Girl walks trough mirror, someone moved the mirror and she could get back [ 0 Answers ]

I want to ask about a movie... It's also about a girl that walks trough a mirror, but I remember that there was this made (I'm not sure) that moved the mirror and the girl couldn't get back to her world :( this is all I can remember

How to replace mirror only ,not mirror assembly for 2002 ford explorer [ 0 Answers ]

Somebody clipped my side mirror while I was parked at a farmers market . I own a 2002 Ford explorer and I need to put the mirror only back in to take off place . It did not break the mirror or the assembly it just popped out the mirror only .

Experience? Does my previous work count as actual bookkeeping experience? [ 10 Answers ]

I have done work that required , I kept all records for a friends pharmacy delivery company mileage, orders,submitting this info for payment from company's and reconciling company's statements with her stubs to make sure she was paid correctly for all work she did. Also did similar work for a...

Half covered lens and mirror [ 1 Answers ]

A cancave mirror and convex lens is half covered with black paper. Will it produce any image? Justify with ray diagram.

View more questions Search