Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    roysm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2016, 09:54 AM
    Leaf shedding vs Leaf removal
    Indigenous trackers are able to tell by looking at a fallen leaf as to whether it was natural shed or was traumatic removed by a passing animal. I presume that this was done by examining the petiole of the fallen leaf and in particular the abscission zone. I have examined many leaves both shed and removed and cannot see a difference. Do you have any hints as to how this differentiation is made?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 6, 2016, 03:25 PM
    No idea. I often read native (US) pages on Facebook. You could ask one of them.
    I have always found the state ag divisions of any state to be very knowledgeable.
    The botany department of a college or university.
    I would imagine that you might find some clues in the entire leaf and the entire plant - time of year, health of plant, dryness of leaves, spots and signs of disease, if any other leaves fell....
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 6, 2016, 04:18 PM
    I don't think it is that complicated. What type of plant (perrenial) deciduous tree, forest environment, are u referring to. A residential area of maple trees, shrubs, what ?
    if you examine the petiole and it seperates easily, it is either from trauma at the root, not enough water or over watering. It is a grab bag. If it has seperated from an animal passing through, then, it will be a tear.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaf invaders [ 1 Answers ]

I am located on long Island in the state New York, I have a japanese dogwood tree, and have noticed that something is laying eggs on the back of the leaves, it seems like there is only one egg sack to a leaf. I am attaching some photos. Does anybody know what this is? 20630 20631 20632...

Leaf diseases [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 new cucumber plants in my greenhouse but the leaves are turnung white can you tell me why? >Moved from Forum Help<

Leaf Blower [ 2 Answers ]

I have a leaf blower and I think I ran it with too little oil and now the cord will not pull through to start the machine. Is there anything I can do to fix that?

Leaf guards [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone have any opinions on the leaf guards or gutter helmet products that are meant to keep debris out of the gutters? Which are the best at keeping out leaves and debris and easy to install and remove if needed as of my reading none of the products are perfect and need some maintenance from...

Turning over a new leaf [ 4 Answers ]

I am doing research for an upcoming sermon and would like to know if the saying "turning over a new leaf" is figurative or literal? Does something happen when you turn a leaf over? Is there a reason for doing it? Any info you can provide would be great.

View more questions Search