Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2010, 04:21 AM
    The 2011 $1.12 trillion Budget Passed
    I bet you didn't know that or hear it in the news. I bet you are wondering "what budget ? I never heard of a budget bill on the table. " I bet you are saying to yourself "I don't recall a budget coming out of committee ;or being debated on the House floor. I bet you are wondering when did all this happen . :confused:

It was a pretty cool sleigh of hands ,in fact in the history of the budget process it had never happened before.

On the eve of the Independence Day weekend celebration ...you know ;that day we celebrate our break from unrepresentative governance .... the House Dems added the whole 2011 budget onto a procedural vote for a war funding resolution. But that isn't the worse of it. The rider they added said that the House "deemed the budget passed"..the so called "Self-Executing Rule" . Cool eh ? They pass the budget without going on record as voting for it to avoid a direct, recorded vote on a budget.The Dems are now the Deems.

Democrats passed the measure 215-210. No Republican voted for it and 38 Democrats crossed party lines to vote no .

They of course are taking a page from the President's playbook . He deemed the economy recovered ,jobs created ,the border secure ,and the hole plugged .

Rep. Paul Ryan issued a statement about this action by the Dems.

What House Democratic leaders call a “budget enforcement resolution” is in fact just another “deeming” scheme – one that concedes they cannot meet their most fundamental governing responsibility: writing a congressional budget.

This is far more than a failure of procedure or politics. It is an abdication of a fundamental responsibility by a Majority that is losing both its will, and its ability, to govern - and it is threatening America's prosperity in the process.

http://www.house.gov/budget_republic...getjun2010.pdf

What's next ? Will the Dems "deem "themselves winners in the 2010 elections?
    Look ,I already know that "deem and pass " has been used in the past on a number of occasions . But it has never been used before to bypass the passing of a budget. It would be an interesting case to challenge the constitutionality of the whole procedure.At very least , I think Rep Ryan is 100% correct when he calls it an abdication of responsibility .
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2010, 04:26 AM
    Well isn't that good an elected government actually got on with the business of government
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2010, 04:34 AM

Nope ,they weren't elected to be cowards. They weren't elected to be dicatators . They weren't elected to be unaccountable.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2010, 07:42 AM

The deems, that's about right. This regime is full of illusions, that's a pretty good trick trick to pass a non-existent budget without passing it.
    Just_Another_Lemming Posts: 437, Reputation: 211

Jul 5, 2010, 03:01 PM
    Hello all.

I can't believe there isn't more hollering going on about this. This is all I found about what you have posted http://www.uncoverage.net/2010/07/house-democrats-pull-a-deem-and-scheme-before-holiday/ Bottom line, only blogger stuff.
    I am not surprised to find that the committee on the budget's web site is not reflecting it. Who knows when they will update the site. But there doesn't appear to be any confirmation even from Fox Nows. I guess we can forgive RL for not jumping all over this yet since he is still in honeymoon mode but Beck's skimming over it & nada mentions from Fox News is a bit surprising to me. I guess everyone is still kicking back and enjoying their bar-b-ques? I am wondering when, and if, it will be picked up by the media. I hope this week delivers a bit more insight.
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2010, 04:05 PM
    Human Events seems to be the only one on the ball here. Every other mention I've found tracks back to Connie Hair's post. I wonder if the WH press corpse has/will bring it up.
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2010, 04:57 PM

Ezra Klein at the Compost reported on it.

He pans it because the process they took prevented the passage of a jobs amendment to the budget.

Ezra Klein - Are Democrats setting themselves up for failure in 2011 by not passing a budget?

The way Klein sees it If you can't get 51 votes for a budget when you have 59, you sure can't get 60 votes for controversial legislation when you only have 52.

The Heritage Foundation has an article on the process also.
    Little else of substance in the news.
    House “Budget Enforcement Resolution” Dodges Accountability | The Foundry: Conservative Policy News.

Jul 6, 2010, 04:11 AM
    Thank you both for posting those other sites. Later on today, I am going to do another search to see if anything else pops up. If I find anything, I will post a link. Hopefully by then I will have the time to figure out why my previous one didn't show up as a direct link.
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2010, 04:35 AM

Michael Steele putting his foot in his mouth dominated the weekend news cycle. No time for trivia like the spending of the taxpayer's money.
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2010, 07:37 AM
    Did another news search today and besides Klein's post, the only thing that turned up were several articles and blogs on "fixing" the Senate and ending the filibuster. Apparently, Pelosi can't understand why some of her colleagues won't vote for spending that isn't paid for if it won't get past the Senate:

Pelosi said the prospect of Senate GOP obstruction hangs over progressive legislation like a pall, because conservative Democrats don't want to take a tough vote for a bill that won't become law. "I can get a great deal accomplished from my members -- we never lose -- but they get discouraged to do big spending bills, unpaid for, unless there's some thought that the Senate is going to do something... They don't really want to be target practice for all the people saying 'You're a big spender, big spender, big spender,' and nothing came from it," she said. "It has become like the ghost."
    I've read that about six times now and I'm still amazed. Did she really say that the only reason some of her members have a little difficulty spending lots and lots of taxpayer dollars they don't have is they don't have the Senate to cover their a$$?? How about not robbing us blind because you have a conscience, a spine and a little integrity?
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2010, 07:58 AM
    Duplicate post
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2010, 08:04 AM

I think she believes this . Remember ;the House Deems passed 'Cap and Tax 'and watched the bill die in the Senate when they had a filibuster proof majority.

Not surprised they want to change the filibuster rules. But remember the howl of protest when the Republicans threatened to use the "nuclear option " ? My have times changed !
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2010, 08:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    spending that isn't paid for
    Hello again, Steve:

Couple things. To clarify, you don't mind spending that isn't paid for, as long as it's WAR SPENDING... I didn't hear a peep about it from you when BUSH was doing it. Therefore, given that SPENDING isn't what bothers you, but WHAT it's being spent on does, diminishes your argument significantly...

Next, is deem and pass. It's legal. As right wing law and order folks, you should be TRUMPETING it. But, you're selective there too, huh?? Do you think I'm not watching?

excon
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2010, 08:20 AM

Next, is deem and pass. It's legal.
    Like I said in the OP . It would make an interesting test case in SCOTUS. I think it stinks no matter which majority party does it. We aren't electing dicators on a 2 year cycle. Anyone who thinks it's OK to pass a blanket budget without any itemizing and not even a decent debate at all does not believe in government transparency or "democratic " governance . Hugo Chavez would be proud.
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2010, 09:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    I didn't hear a peep about it from you when BUSH was doing it.
    So just because the GOP spent recklessly we should let the Deems spend even more recklessly? Dude, that makes no sense.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2010, 09:43 AM

Hello Steve:

I wasn't commenting on the Dems. I was commenting on YOU. As I said earlier, given your flip floppedness, you don't really believe deficit spending is going to send us to hell. You believe DEMOCRAT deficit spending is going to send us to hell.

excon
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2010, 09:57 AM

First, there is no "flip floppedness" to report, and even if there were it's irrelevant to my point on the flippant, offensive, reckless attitude of Nancy Pelosi and her Deemocrat charges.

Jul 7, 2010, 04:42 AM
    I ran a search worded a bit differently this a.m. Here are the hits I received
    http://budget.house.gov/PRArticle.aspx?NewsID=1766

http://appropriations.house.gov/

Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2010, 05:39 AM

Some friends in the military emailed me and called it the "don't ask don't tell " budget .
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2010, 07:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Some friends in the military emailed me and called it the "don't ask don't tell " budget .
    Typical for the "don't ask don't tell" regime.

Obama Bypassing Congress on Medicare Job

What, Bush loved recess appointments you say? This is Obama's 18th such appointment compared to Bush's 15.

He wouldn't have to if Republicans would get out of the way you say?

Mr. Obama decided to act because “many Republicans in Congress have made it clear in recent weeks that they were going to stall the nomination as long as they could, solely to score political points”
    Truth is, Obama doesn't want Berwick to face the Senate because of his love for British healthcare and wealth redistribution. Berwick famously said, "Any health care funding plan that is just equitable civilized and humane must, must redistribute wealth from the richer among us to the poorer and the less fortunate. Excellent health care is by definition redistributional.”

If they can't ask, he won't have to tell.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When was the latest date that a federal budget was ever passed? [ 2 Answers ]

When was the latest date that Congress passed a federal budget?

My grandparents has passed and my mother has passed what am I entitled [ 7 Answers ]

I live in New Orleans my grandparents died and my mother passed, what am I entitled to because there are houses and money due to my mother, but I do not know much about Louisiana law as far as inheritance. My aunts and uncles are just sitting on the property because they are fortunate enough, but...

A day late and about $3 trillion short [ 5 Answers ]

After spending trillions of dollars on failed bailouts, TARP and economic stimulus that hasn't stimulated anything, Obama has been watching the polls. These polls show that while his personal approval numbers are at around 67%, the support for his POLICIES is at about 30%. Eventually, he...

Ten Trillion Dollars [ 43 Answers ]

This is not a political debate, this is a question, How can people feel comfortable with this number as our national debt? And with no real plan to ever pay it down, only to ever increase. This is a question I can not wrap my head around. I can't help but entertain the idea that by the time...

What can you buy with $1.5 TRILLION!? [ 9 Answers ]

A SHED load of bad debt and bankrupt companies!! BBC NEWS | Business | US Fed announces $800bn stimulus So that's $800 BILLION on top of the $700 Billion already thrown down the money pit of the banks own design. How much further will the US authorities go? Now with all of this "cash"...

View more questions Search