Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lind Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2006, 11:04 AM
    Bitmap into ole object field in MS Access
    I have an Access 2000 database table with an OLE object field, into which I insert a bitmap image. (This is an existing database whose design I am not authorized to change). When I do this on the system in my office, everything is fine. The image is properly displayed on the form. However, when I repeat the process on the client's system, which I access through PCAnywhere, the image displays a small square icon with no real image, just occasional white pixels in a solid black box, with the file name below the icon. In the table, the OLE object field contains the word "Package".

What might be causing this problem and how do I fix it? (As I mentioned, I am not at liberty to change the design to a text field with a path to an image file. There are hundreds of these databases out there and two of them don't work. I'm expected to fix the two that don't work, not redesign the process)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 14, 2006, 12:45 PM
    I see you understand that things were designed incorrectly. In which case you should recommend fixing the design.

However, I suspect the issue may be in using PC Anywhere. Has someone tried the process on the specific machine? It could be that PC Anywhere is suppressing the image display for performance purposes. Bitmaps are large and take time to transmit.
    Lind Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2006, 12:53 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion, Scott.

The bitmap is on the on the user's machine. Everything is on his machine. All we are doing is going in and trying to insert it into the field. It is done this way in a couple hundred installations, almost all of which are accessed through PC Anywhere. It's only these two with which we are having trouble. However, I will look into it to see if anything is different about their PC Anywhere installation.

I've only been here since the beginning of the year and the database has been around for at least 15 so I'm not exactly in a position to tell the man who designed it how it "should" be done.:D
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 14, 2006, 06:14 PM
    Frankly, if this is an Access databases that was first conceived 15 years ago, then the designer should not be upset to find that recommended procedures have changed over the years. I am friendly with a number of Access designers, including several who are Microsoft MVPs. I don't know any of them, that would recommend embedding pics using OLE fields. This causes database bloat and other issues. You would be doing the designer a favor by pointing this out to him. I can show you were to document this recommendation if you want.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Access loads a bitmap into a OLE object as a package [ 2 Answers ]

My client has 3 aging Access 97 dbs that run the production floor of a large plastic manufacturing plant. These are in the process of being replaced by much more robust, professional grade manufacturing control systems. The client is investing millions in the new systems, so redesign at this point...

Object in nose [ 8 Answers ]

:eek: Does anyone have any advice on getting an objecrt out of a child's nose? One of my son's stuck a bead in his nose and he is too young to blow, so it won't come out. It is not blocking his airway but I don't think it should stay in there. If nothing comes up I think I am taking him to the...

Can't Save Images as jpg, only bitmap [ 2 Answers ]

All of a sudden this week, the computer I'm using at work won't let me save images from the internet as .jpg anymore. It only gives me the option of bitmap. What changed and how do I change it back? I was able to save .jpg images all the time before.

View more questions Search