Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mudge Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2007, 11:30 AM
    Gfci outlet
    Hi,

I have installed a small pond. I called an electrician to put a GFCI outlet near the pond. He told me I could save a significant amount of money if I dig the trench for the line. Well... I had called Miss Utility before digging the hole for the pond and there is a Cox Cable line that is in the way. I am bummed about this. Even if I don't dig the trench... how is the electrician going to get around this ( there is actually no way around it literally). Thank you so much in advance. I would have called the electrician but he is out of town the next 4 days.

Thanks
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2007, 12:09 PM
    Why not just hand dig at the cable and run the new line above or below the CATV line, this is done all the time. You may need to be at least 6 inches away , but that should not be a problem.
    BigRed1500 Posts: 70, Reputation: 8

Jul 18, 2007, 12:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mudge
    hi,

I have installed a small pond. I called an electrician to put a GFCI outlet near the pond. He told me I could save a significant amount of money if I dig the trench for the line. Well... I had called Miss Utility before digging the hole for the pond and there is a Cox Cable line that is in the way. I am bummed about this. Even if I dont dig the trench... how is the electrician going to get around this ( there is actually no way around it literally). Thank you so much in advance. I would have called the electrician but he is out of town the next 4 days.

Thanks
    Why can't you dig by hand where the cable line goes and have the electrician run his conduit under the cable line?

EDIT:TK's answer hit the same time as mine, I was not trying to copy yours.
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2007, 12:11 PM
    No problem red, I do that all the time, great minds think alike.
    mudge Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2007, 03:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mudge
    hi,

I have installed a small pond. I called an electrician to put a GFCI outlet near the pond. He told me I could save a significant amount of money if I dig the trench for the line. Well... I had called Miss Utility before digging the hole for the pond and there is a Cox Cable line that is in the way. I am bummed about this. Even if I dont dig the trench... how is the electrician going to get around this ( there is actually no way around it literally). Thank you so much in advance. I would have called the electrician but he is out of town the next 4 days.

Thanks
    Thanks for the insight. My husband has been in Iraq and he usually has my answers for me. I am a little clueless when it comes to this stuff. Thanks again!
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2007, 02:47 AM
    We here in AMHD salute you and your husband, and realize the sacrifices your family have made.

Please do not hesitate to use Ask Me Help Desk for any problem or question you may have until your other half gets his backside back home.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 Questions about updating to a GFCI outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I recently attempted to update a basic 3-prong outlet to a GFCI outlet (so that I could connect a do-it-yourself, low-voltage, exterior lighting kit to this outlet). It seemed to work for the most part, but I have three issues of concern. 1) The breaker for this circuit (and this outlet seems...

Must you re-wire outlet to outlet? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi there. Great site. I am rewiring my 1950's house with plaster walls, older wiring had no ground. Because it is one story, and extremely tight in the attic on the outer walls, I ran a 12/2 home run for the outlets, to a big (1900?) junction box, then "spidered" out to each individual...

Gfci [ 5 Answers ]

How do you install GFCI Recepticles properly with old wiring in a house?

120 volt outlet from 240 volt outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I understand that it is possbile to wire a 120 volt outlet from a 240 volt outlet. My 240 volt outlet has 3 wires in, white, black, and a ground. Do I wire the 120 volt outlet from the either wire and the ground? My voltage meter indicates that connection is 120 volts. Is there any down side to...

Gfci [ 1 Answers ]

Is there ever a situation where it makes sense to have a GFCI outlet on the same circuit as a GFCI breaker? Will having a GFCI outlet on the same circuit as a GFCI breaker cause any damage? I recently bought a house and found the situation noted above.

View more questions Search