Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Greenvilleguy Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2006, 12:06 PM
    Water Dispenser not working
    I have a 3 year old GE SS refrig. The water dispenser stopped working. I determined that the water valve in the back was bad and I've replaced it.

Now, I'm getting water to the door (disconnect the tube in front, hit the dispenser lever and water flows), but not to the dispenser. I've tried to melt any ice that might be blocking it with a hair blower - no luck.

Is there another valve in the dispenser? Anything else that could have a blockage, i.e. does the tube just simply run up through the door to through the dispenser or is there something else like a filter, a reservoir or something?
    Kender Posts: 64, Reputation: 13

Oct 20, 2006, 06:25 PM
    It is an open tube running from the hinge of the door to the dispencer. Sounds like there is not enough insulation around the water line in the freezer door and the line froze. Normally it freezes where it goes behind the despencer because that's where the insulation is the thinnest.
    paulfreddie Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2007, 11:34 AM
    I had the same problem & through this website I found the answer(somewhat). The line is frozen somewhere in the door. I rigged up a small hose that would fit just inside the dispenser - then duct taped a small funnel on the other end & blew hot air from a hair dryer into it to defrost it. Then poked a plastic tie strap up the water line to break it loose & got water!! However - (see somewhat above) the next day it was frozen again & had to poke with the strap to get it going again. So now I know the problem but don't know how to prevent it

Apr 15, 2007, 04:09 PM
    Thanks! I also found that the problem was that the line was frozen behind the door dispenser. I've been able to use a hair dryer to defrost it by pointing the dryer at the plastic recess or "glass well". I heat it up pretty good and then leave it about half an hour. The water will flow then. Be careful though. The first time, I pointed the dryer in the tube and melted some plastic up in the "mechanism". Then I had to take it apart, reheat it and straighten out the damaged piece.

Like the prior post, I haven't found a permanent solution. It seems to freeze up about once every 3 months. I haven't been able to identify exactly what's different that causes it to freeze.
    quigsby Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Sep 4, 2008, 05:18 AM
    I had this Problem with a GE Model GSL25JFPA BS. I ordered a WR49X10173 which is the Dispenser Water Tube Heater Kit. I followed the instructions in the kit and bingo two hours later I have water.

1. Pry off plastic frame.
    2. Lift control board out.
    3. Disconnect the 3 wire harnesses from circuit board.
    4. Unscrew the dispenser unit. (4 Phillip Screws).
    5. Peel and stick the heater in the recessed area. See instructions from heater kit for picture on where the heater should go.
    6. Splice wires according to instructions that came with the heater kit. Splices are provided. Very easy to do. Just follow the directions. Splice one heater wire to the harness red wire (position 2) and the other heater wire to the (black&white) harness wire (position 6).
    7. Plug in the just the one harness to the control board and in 60 seconds you will start to feel the heater area getting warm. That's how you know it's working.
    8. Put everything back together and you are in business.

My water dispenser has not frozen up since I installed the heater kit. If anyone would like pictures of the process email me. quigsby

Nov 1, 2008, 08:19 AM

Thanks quigsby. For the past two years, I've been "defrosting" the line with a hair dryer every couple of months. A few weeks ago, the situation has deteriated to the point where it refreezes a hour or so after defrosting.

Obviously, this is a know problem if GE now makes a heater for the line. Heating water in a cold water dispenser sounds very wrong to me, but I can't figure out how to get more insulation in there either.

A quick word about the procedure above. Be careful when you pry off the plastic frame, the tabs are easy to break. I've used a putty knife to slide underneath to "feel" the tabs.

Nov 1, 2008, 08:53 AM

I've gone to the GE parts site and can't find part # WR49X10173. Also, I can't find anything that sounds like a Dispenser Water Tube Heater Kit.

I have model GSS25SGASS, but the freezer door diagram looks just like yours.
    jtashmore Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2009, 04:10 PM
    Does anyone have a copy of the installation process that quigsby is talking about? Either that or a copy of the installation instructions that comes with the kit?
    augiejoe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2010, 05:57 PM
    Greenevilleguy... the part number ends with "101173". You are short a "1".
    damsker Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2010, 02:47 PM

Yeah, which part do you "pry" off?
    moparmike Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2010, 02:19 PM
    I have a GE gss22wgpcww and the water in the door isn't cold? What could be the problem
    bustedrefrig Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2010, 12:58 PM
    Don't call a serviceman for this as you'll spend $200. It is a simple, $30 part that can be fixed in 15 minutes. I had this same problem and spent hours researching before I found the part. Apparently there are a ton of other people with the same issue so I created the blog post to help everyone fix it. Read it here.
    bustedfrige Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2010, 05:43 AM

This is a common problem with GE side by side refrigerators where the water line freezes in the door. It happened to mine and I spent good amount of time trying to fix it. Ya, it stinks that GE won't fix it but fortunately they have a water line heater that fixes it for $30 and 15 minutes. I noticed a lot of other people having the same issue so I blogged the symptoms, part and the fix. You can read about it here.
    Taucia Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2011, 09:51 PM
    Comment on quigsby's post
    Quigsby, how can I contact you to get pictures of the process? Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GE water dispenser won't stop! [ 5 Answers ]

When I went to get some water from my GE water dispenser, the water would not stop coming out. I had to finally pull out the refrigerator and turn off the shut-off valve. Can anyone tell me what is wrong and how can I fix the problem?:eek:

Brand new water heater: Starts hot, then water gets cold after few seconds [ 9 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new condo which has its own water heater. We went to take a shower this morning and the first few seconds of the shower were very hot, then it went cold after 10 seconds. We tried again after half an hour, same thing. There was enough hot water for my husband to shave but...

GE Refrigerator water dispenser intermittently working [ 229 Answers ]

I have a GE side-by-side refrigerator with a ice maker and water dispenser. In the last 3-4 months the water dispenser shuts off intermittently, but comes back to life on its own. I have changed the water filter as well as cleaned the water line, but haven't been able to identify the problem. The...

Can one shut off water main valve but leave gas hot water tank on? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if I go away for two days and shut my main water shutoff valve can I leave my gas hot water tank on. I saw two answers To a similar question and one answer said you can leave it on and the other Said you had to shut it off. I am confused now as to whether I can leave the gas...

Instant Hot Water dispenser vs. Side sprayer [ 2 Answers ]

I want to add an Instant hot water dispenser to my stainless steel sink. It already has a side-sprayer through the hole I want to use to install the dispenser. 1) Can I use that hole & 2) how do I defeat the side-sprayer hose and eliminate it under the sink?

View more questions Search