Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vamosj Posts: 31, Reputation: 2

Mar 26, 2006, 11:52 PM
    Jumpstart and Knowledge adventure problems
    I have some older software from the jumpstart and knowledge adventure series of educational games that my kids use on my win xp system. I am having problems with these even after using the instructions provided by each of the software's websites. I have placed the programs in both win 95 and 98 compatibility modes with 256 color and 800 x 600 resolution. I am having an array of different issues from being able to use the cd to boot, but the game doesn't recognize the cd in the drive for playing purposes to a screen being completely black as it goes to the main screen of the game(sound can be heard). If anyone has any knowledge of these two software sets and knows how to fix this problem (other than buying another computer and loading win98 on it) please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Vamosj
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 27, 2006, 12:50 PM
    I'm afraid, if compatbility mode doesn't work, then going backwards is your best option. You should be able to pick up an old PC real cheap. Anything Pentium III or earlier P 4 will do the job fine and probably cost under $200.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2006, 02:29 PM
    Hi, Vamosj,
    "If anyone has any knowledge of these two software sets and knows how to fix this problem (other than buying another computer and loading win98 on it) please let me know."
    I am sorry, but do not have any knowledge of the particular programs you are asking about. After running the XP compatibility testing, and trying the Compatibility Mode, as the answer before mine says, there is probably no other option than to set up it on an older computer with Win 98/98SE.
    I am still using Win98SE, not upgraded to 2000, or XP, because my wife has some very good photo/graphics programs that will not run with 2000. Using the Windows 2000 install CD for Compatibility shows it is not compatible.
    I have yet to find any of those programs, that do what they do, with Texting, circles, etc, without getting into programs with very steep learning curves!
    I do wish you the best.
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

Mar 27, 2006, 07:56 PM
    Install win 98 on a separate partition and run the program from there might work
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 28, 2006, 06:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommyp!972
    install win 98 on a separate partition and run the program from there might work
    I thought of recommending that, but you can't just do that. Win 98 needs to run from the C partition. That means, that the PC would have to be repartioned and reformatted. Then Win 98 installed and Win XP installed on a separate partition with dual boot. Seems a lot of work to play some old games.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2006, 07:23 AM
    Hi,
    I did some research on these particular educational programs, and they are available in newer versions. However, they are very costly; depending on how many levels one wants to purchase! It might be worth the time, depending on someone's budget, to dual boot.
    Here is a link with some pricing:
    http://www.campustech.com/c/campust/...?mv_arg=KNA104
    I am sure there are other pricings as well on the web. These educational programs do seem quite good.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Asking for knowledge! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi thank you so much that U answered my quseting. So I have other questions hope I get answer to them. 1\ What is the advantage of using a low pressure switch to control Compressor operation? 2\ What should I do to set low pressure swith in order to maintain A cabint...

An Adventure Movie! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I Am Looking For This Movie And This Is What I Remember It To Be About, There Were People On A Party Ship They Were All Celebrating The New Year And This Huge Tidal Wave Comes And Turns The Ship Completley Over Most People Die But There Are Some Survivors And Throughout The Whole Movie They Are...

Increasing knowledge [ 5 Answers ]

Dear Sir / Madam, I would like to enhance my 6 year old daughter's overall knowledge. I send her to the best school in the area, but still I would like her to have more knowledge than she acquires from her school. What should I do? Please help me in this regard.

Knowledge repository [ 1 Answers ]

Hi can anyone tell me what a knowledge repository is. Can you tell me what one is and can you give me an example of one. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

View more questions Search