Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2008, 10:41 AM
    I've never been bit by snakes, but got a pretty big scare once. I was tossing some fish back into the water, as I was putting them back, a very large snake came up out of the water and grabbed a nice sized fish in its mouth. It was at least four to five inches across at the point where it came out of the water. I saw orange markings on it and a lot of brown. That was in northwest Ohio in an old stone quarry that had filled with water.

I still enjoy trying to catch the big catfish, but noodling is not for me!
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2008, 09:51 PM
    Dead of winter and I am wanting to go hunting for treasures. I sure would enjoy some stories of special "finds" from any one viewing this thread. I need to keep my enthusiasm up so when warm weather starts creeping in before the little critters start creeping about, I will get out there and be ready to find treasures. I look forward to reading of more adventures, stories of adventures from ancestors past down through the family, etc. :)

Oneguy, I have always heard that stone quarry's are filled with snakes more so than other bodies of water. Do you know if this is true? Since getting bit, I am just not quite as adventuresome in just hitting the brush whether hunting, fishing, or hunting for special finds. I don't like that about myself. I use to never worry, just always figured if I got bit, I got bit. Don't feel quite the same about that now.
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2008, 09:01 AM
    I don't know if the snake thing is true or not. Perhaps if you consider length of shoreline as a comparison? One of my cousins got a snake bite in their backyard pond. Doctors claimed it could not have been poisonous but she was hospitalized to detox her system... seemed to be the perfect cover for her drug use and therapy... family secrets and all, but it went on for years of illness and hospitalization always being blamed on the snake bite as the source of all her problems.

On a positive note, I purchased a couple of books at a Goodwill store for a quarter each, and sold them for $10 and $8 respectively... nice mark up to help pay for the other 100 or so that I have sitting around...
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2008, 07:20 PM
    Jrebel, Some of my searches help with the season, In winter with no leaves you can see better and farther. When it is dry, you can cover areas that would be more difficult if wet or soggy. Also got a couple of old books on Oklahoma from Ebay. Didn't ralize the History Behind the Panhandle(No Mans Land). When Texas and Oklahoma were States, that still belonge to Mexico. US had no Jurisdiction, Sounds like a wild place.
    Did you ever mess with the Google earth and Geocashing. Curious
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2008, 08:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    Jrebel, Some of my searches help with the season, In winter with no leaves you can see better and farther. When it is dry, you can cover areas that would be more difficult if wet or soggy. Also got a couple of old books on Oklahoma from Ebay. Didn't ralize the History Behind the Panhandle(No Mans Land). when Texas and Oklahoma were States, that still belonge to Mexico. US had no Jurisdiction, Sounds like a wild place.
    Did you ever mess with the Google earth and Geocashing. Curious
    Glad to see you posting again! Been missing our fun information on areas. I am liking winter more and more after getting bitten by the snake. LOL Although, in Oklahoma, well, in the area I live in, on warm days, it is not unusual to run onto a snake sunning themselves on top of a bush, which I did or just under a rock's edge.

The Panhandle still seems like No Man's Land. The area is flat and very windy most of the time. The only trees you see are basically down in the gullies. Oklahoma only became a state in 1907, the year my father-in-law was born. :) Just a bit of trivia! LOL I live in an area called "Green Country" where we have many lakes, rivers, natural springs, etc.

I did look up longitude and latitude of my house. I went to Googlearth and from there I could not seem to follow your instructions. I printed them out. I asked my son to help me and explained why I wanted to do it but he lives in KCMO and has been working on the end of a programming deal for Adidas. Hopefully, he will come home before long and be able to do it for me. I hate even admitting on this open forum that I could not figure this out. I am such an A to Z person. Once I do learn a program, for instance, I know it very well but those first steps seem to be difficult for me.

I have looked in my book I got on Ebay somewhat. As with other things, I am finding it a bit hard to make sense of some of it. There is a lot of information there and I am so thankful for the information on which one to purchase.

My niece and her husband and a couple of friends just rode the "Trail of Tears Remembrance Ride" ride on their Harley's a few months ago. I rode with them on my little Honda once they got into town. They started in N. Carolina, back to Tenn. Where they live, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas and Oklahoma. I think they said there were 1,500 riders but I may be off on that. I will check. A route was formed for the riders to take them off the interstate and through some back roads, smaller towns. It was along ride, with patrols ever so often. I can't imagine walking it as the Indians did. I know my niece and her dad's picture (he lives in Okmulgee, Ok) was on line after the ride. I will check to see if I can find the link and post it later. The "Trail of Tears" was where the five tribes, Choctaw, Cherokee, Chickasaw, Creek and some Seminoles made the trip where so many died. A large portion of Seminoles escaped and ended up in the Everglades of Florida. Just got a call so will check back in with you later! :)
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2008, 11:47 PM
    Strat, I thought you and other's might enjoy seeing this link. Welcome to the Official Trail of Tears Motorcycle Ride Web Site is the link with the photo of my niece and her dad. It is flashmaker I believe it's called and I didn't see where the slides were numbered. You scroll about half way down the page and on the left, you will see photos revolving.
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2008, 12:08 AM
    I wanted to post that as of this morning, I found documentation that I am part Cherokee!

It has been part of the family oral tradition for years, but I had no evidence of where it came from as far as official documentation.

There is a James Adair who was an Indian trader with the Cherokee back in the early part of the 1700's... He is a famous author about the Cherokee people, and I believe was even made a chief... but that may have been his son... I don't have the papers in front of me... Anyway, I was able to trace this back to me!! I'm very excited... I am descended through his son who was 3/4 Cherokee...

I also know that I have a lot more Shawnee blood through my great grandmother who was at least half... but I am still having hard times finding the documentation...

Anyway, I think it is neat that it all seems to tie into this thread... with the Trail of Tears posts... and my earlier talk of genealogy...

I have thought about getting more into that lost part of my family history, but I don't look anything like a native american... more like German or British European mix... so I'm not sure if people would think I was too odd??

One of the websites stated that many people consider if you have one drop of Cherokee blood, then you are Cherokee.
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2008, 12:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by oneguyinohio
    I wanted to post that as of this morning, I found documentation that I am part Cherokee!!

It has been part of the family oral tradition for years, but I had no evidence of where it came from as far as official documentation.

There is a James Adair who was an Indian trader with the Cherokee back in the early part of the 1700's... He is a famous author about the Cherokee people, and I believe was even made a chief...but that may have been his son... I dont have the papers in front of me... Anyways, I was able to trace this back to me!!! I'm very excited... I am descended through his son who was 3/4 Cherokee...

I also know that I have a lot more Shawnee blood through my great grandmother who was at least half...but I am still having hard times finding the documentation...

Anyways, I think it is neat that it all seems to tie into this thread... with the Trail of Tears posts... and my earlier talk of geneology...

I have thought about getting more into that lost part of my family history, but I don't look anything like a native american... more like German or British European mix... so I'm not sure if people would think I was too odd???

One of the websites stated that many people consider if you have one drop of Cherokee blood, then you are Cherokee.
    Oneguy, this thread is just full of surprises! :p I am so happy you were able to get the documentation of your families Cherokee Heritage. Timing on this thread is just unreal. Pretty cool. I know what you mean about not looking Indian. I do not have documentation but my great grandmother was 1/2 Cherokee, she is the one whose mother was forced to fix a meal for Jessie James gang I mentioned earlier?? My brother and sister are both tall, black hair. I am 5 ft 2 inches tall, and blonde. Go figure. Anyway, I am proud of that part of me and always have felt that heritage. I have a friend, I think I mentioned her also earlier, that is Cherokee and is taking the language in college to teach emersion classes in the language. She has taken classes on how to make the authentic Cherokee pottery by digging and processing your own clay, firing it in a hole in the ground, etc. Both of her sisters look Indian. She does not and feels displaced. She always tells me I have "Indian Humor" and that is why she loves me so much as her friend. I think she is being a little bit prejudiced there but a great sense of humor is part of the Indian Heritage. I do have that. We laugh all the time and talk about odd, I probably am. My grandfather's dad's brother's came over on a ship from England and we have Irish heritage also. I am proud of all the parts for that is what makes me, me. LOL We have Indian on both sides of the family, both Cherokee but was missing the spelling by an 's' on the end of a last name. That kept us from getting the documentation we needed as proof. I have never felt I fit anywhere in the family looking different than siblings and having more spunk and being more chatty and lots of other differences. Maybe I am just a misfit :confused: But I am a happy misfit. :p I find the statement you made at the end to be true. It has not always been so. I am happy it is now.

I will be looking forward to hearing more about your journey learning about your family history. Adair is a name we hear around here a lot. Maybe you have relatives here! :) There is an Adair, Oklahoma also. I can just feel your excitement not only of finding out this information but also the timing of the "Trail of Tears" being brought up here today. What timing we have. Love it... just love it. Best go to sleep now but when I read this, just had to respond tonight.
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2008, 12:57 AM
    I'm pretty sure many of the Adair line stem from the Indian trader back in North Carolina... He had 4 Indian wives and an English one or two. His son did as well. Many Adair descendants went on the trail of tears, and others into hiding... or married into other families...

Bed time for me too...
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2008, 07:53 PM
    Here is the latest "find" in my genealogy stuff...

My mom found a website that traces one branch of the family tree back through the royalty of Europe... to people who assisted the Apostle Paul! (Rufus Pudent and his wife Claudia, along with Claudia's brother Linus... Siblings of King Cyllin of Siluria?) The story is that the Apostle Paul baptized Saint Cyllin's father (Bran) and grandfather(Caractacus)...

The lines go back many generations before that as well, and in numerous directions. I guess now I'm going to have to become familiar with historical stuff of a different era... Up to now, I have been mostly interested in the American history related to the family line in the early colonies...

Some of the names mentioned are names that I'm sure many people have heard of but as in my case... don't really know much... Ole King Cole is in there along with King Lear... and a Caractacus. It might take a while trying to sort all of this information out but it sure was some mind boggling news for me tonight!

I just had a strange thought... I hope that posting this on this board about archealogy, won't bring too much attention from any secret societies! I suppose that there are at least a million and a half other people who have the same ancestors as well... and given all the "milk men" that are likely to have paid a social visit through the years, my information is more for speculation than anything else...
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2008, 10:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by oneguyinohio
    Here is the latest "find" in my geneology stuff...

My mom found a website that traces one branch of the family tree back through the royalty of Europe... to people who assisted the Apostle Paul! (Rufus Pudent and his wife Claudia, along with Claudia's brother Linus...Siblings of King Cyllin of Siluria?) The story is that the Apostle Paul baptized Saint Cyllin's father (Bran) and grandfather(Caractacus)...

The lines go back many generations before that as well, and in numerous directions. I guess now I'm going to have to become familiar with historical stuff of a different era... Up to now, I have been mostly interested in the American history related to the family line in the early colonies...

Some of the names mentioned are names that I'm sure many people have heard of but as in my case... don't really know much... Ole King Cole is in there along with King Lear... and a Caractacus. It might take a while trying to sort all of this information out but it sure was some mind boggling news for me tonight!

I just had a strange thought... I hope that posting this on this board about archealogy, won't bring too much attention from any secret societies! I suppose that there are at least a million and a half other people who have the same ancestors as well...and given all the "milk men" that are likely to have paid a social visit through the years, my information is more for speculation than anything else...
    Hey there! WOW! You just keep on keepin' on finding out goodies. It may be as you say, "milk men" but as I think of archeology and genealogy, they have one thing in common and that is the anticipation of finding a treasure, either something one can define and hold and research it's beginnings or documentation of family lineage, realizing the continuity of life and the treasures that each "Find" holds for each of us searching. Keep us posted on any finds, family history or special artifacts, both are special to us. I would just like to know if certain family stories past down through the years are fact or fiction in our family. As the older ones pass on, it seems less likely to be able to know for sure but as I say, the anticipation makes it interesting. Thanks for sharing. I thought I had some photos of other finds but haven't located them yet. I will and will post later. I know we found a flint thumb scraper in our garden, fully worked. Just holding these artifacts in my hands, gives me such an appreciation for all who have passed before us.
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2008, 10:15 PM
    I've found that the family stories have a lot of truth in them. The dates and names might be off, but just about always, there is some evidence to support them, and they also can give a lot of clues about the family history.

Great Gramps might have forgotten the name that was involved in some story, but a lot of the details remain.

Reminds me of a story my grandfather told about two old timers...

They were sitting around telling stories when one of them said, "You know, you ain't never gonna believe me, but I saw a man swimming across the Ohio River with a woman and a cookstove on his back." He went on to say, "You can call me a liar if you want, but I know what I saw."

The other old timer spoke up and said, "Now I aint about to call you a liar. Infact, I'm glad you told us what you saw because I was afraid to tell you before now that the man you saw was me, and that was my wife cooking my breakfast so it would be ready when we got to the other side."

Wish I could have been there to hear those men talking! Kind of tells me about the story telling that was passed down in the family...
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2008, 10:34 PM
    Great story telling is such an art. That is one gift with which I wish I had been blessed.

As you and your family continue your search, I have no doubt you will find a lot of documentation down the way. Those who persevere accomplish much. Do you have any family now that you know of that live in Europe? You might just have to make a trip before to long to track down details. :)
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2008, 10:54 PM
    No family in Europe since mid 1800's... Right now, I can't imagine ever getting to Europe. Maybe someday.

I was thinking about a dream my grandfather told me that he had.

Once, he dreamed that he fell off a mountain, so he had to quickly run all the way down to the bottom so he could catch himself before he hit the ground. In trying to analyze his dream, I think he must have been trying to cover/protect himself... for some reason... as in protecting himself from the consequences of what might happen to him... He only told the story as a funny dream and never talked about what meaning it might have had for him.

Given his life style of moonshining, shootouts, and other illegal activities I can understand those feelings he may have had. Kind of makes me relate to it given my situation with my employer... Anyway, just more to add to how family stories can relate from one generation to the next.
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2008, 07:48 PM
    My daughter just went to Paris and used her flyer miles. I think round ticket cost $76.00. She met nine other gals there and just stayed a few days. I was astounded that she was able to get such a great price on her flight. So you never know, you may find a great deal and take off for parts unknown to find family that might still be in Europe.

I enjoyed hearing about your grandfather's dream. It was interesting. I dream so much that some nights, I feel I don't rest... my dreams are very vivid, with many details. I use to try to figure them out and still do some of them. Do you find it interesting that you recalled this story about the time you were going through stuff at work? Everything seems to connect if we just allow it.

I have been going through my book that Strat told me about on e-bay. I know that the areas probably have been searched out for years for the cache of treasures that are supposed to be buried around the area. Where I live, three rivers come together as you saw on the map I attached earlier. That is an area of great interest. Story after story mention "Where the rivers come together" so guess it was a great way to remember where one hid one's loot. LOL Now, if I could just locate it. They have widened the river to allow barges down now. Hope during the process, they didn't just dump it in the river without realizing it. I saw another show on panning for gold the other evening. Just not enough time to do what I would like to do.
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2008, 02:11 PM
    We live near an old Fort. There is an original stone well there. The stockade inside the fort is kept up. A map like the one I posted is in one of the officers quarters. I know this is not something I found on my own but if any of you would like, I could take photos of the Fort and the structures surrounding it. I didn't want to post them if there is no interest. I have missed hearing from all of you. Maybe spring time will allow us better weather to discover new treasures!
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2008, 10:40 PM
    Hey friends!

A new poster "Ace High" posted a question regarding an item called "Greek Wall Clip". I let the poster know I would post here as someone on this thread might have knowledge of the item. Ace is not even sure this is what it is called. It is an interesting piece. I will not post all the images but Ace was appreciative to find answers anywhere possible.
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

May 2, 2011, 11:28 AM

Great information. I am providing a link that might prove interesting.

Is this legal?
    RE: the Carter Clause

Most of our pieces have been found in our garden each year. Some along the rivers edge after a big rain and then the water recedes. The couple who provided pieces to us went through a legitimate Archeology group who logged each arrowhead, pottery chard, etc. found with the State University in which state they were working. They had permission to do so. Each piece is listed by description, given a number, etc. They could retain the pieces as long as they were logged and they also later built a museum to house them which is a great credit to them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Operation Arrowhead Ripper [ 9 Answers ]

A major battle is taking place in Baquba ,a city in Baghdad's northern "suburbs" . Multi-National Force - Iraq - Task Force Lightning strikes al-Qaeda {Operation Arrowhead Ripper } The NY Slimes reported that 2000 troops are involved .They are wrong . There are no fewer than 10,000 US...

She is 12, he is 15(?) and are active... [ 1 Answers ]

While throwing away my "junk mail" yesterday I stood in front of the dumpster and heard some noise behind it. I went about my business as if not noticed. They realized they were caught and began to cloth them self's. I called my mgr. of the apts. And said what I believe to be the actions of the...

Active x [ 3 Answers ]

My friend is having trouble getting into certain sites--even becoming a member of Yahoo. I couldn't log into Yahoo on his computer with my ID and password. What is the problem with his computer? Does the following message that popped up on his computer have anything to do with the problem? He...

View more questions Search