Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2021, 02:49 PM
    What did you learn in college that helped you throughput your career?
    I was an Animal Science major. I never really went into that field since jobs were few and far between at that time and I was too uncertain of myself to really pursue it well, but when I started teaching science, much of it was very useful. My masters program for becoming a school principal was rather poorly done. Thankfully I worked as an assistant in an inner city school for three years with a principal who was very good. I learned more in that time by far than I did in the college courses.

But bear in mind that this thread was really about what is being done in Oregon in removing all testing requirements for high school graduation. It really amounts to child abuse.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 13, 2021, 03:11 PM
    And that's pretty much what happened when I was in college -- "So Oregon announces that reading, writing, and math are no longer important. But they will, as I understand it, enforce new testing centered around cell phone proficiency and transgender pronouns."

Of course, the three Rs are exceedingly important important subjects that should be taught at the elementary level -- PLUS proper cellphone use and LGBT issues.

My undergrad curriculum had dissolved into courses that we would "need" in order to successfully answer questions on "Jeopardy" (which I am able to do), rather than manage and teach a classroom of 30 children. Years later, when I attended a Catholic university's secular master's program, I learned so much during my two internships (18 month's worth) and the very informative yet practical coursework.
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2021, 03:15 PM
    But they will, as I understand it, enforce new testing centered around cell phone proficiency and transgender pronouns."
    That was actually sarcasm.

I think we might agree that there are some things which are difficult to teach in a purely classroom setting. Surgeons, for instance, do classroom work but also do a LOT of surgical work. Teaching is the same way. I went right from being an animal science major to teaching school. I figured most of it out on my own because I had to. What I learned in courses afterwards added very little.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2021, 03:23 PM
    so, if I understand you, you are self made man, and a very flawed example of your handiwork
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2021, 03:31 PM
    Could very well be. Depends, I suppose, on who you ask. However, since you started your sentence with a lower case letter and ended it with no punctuation mark, then I guess it can be said we are quite similar in being "flawed examples".

Is that how it's taught in Australia? Or could it be a result of the high school dropout rate??
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2021, 04:52 PM
    Well by your definition I am a high school drop out but with two fellowships and a higher degree. What you do in your teens doesn't define your life. I have sailed before the mast, pioneered a vineyard, and been a leader in my endeavours. So my punctuation isn't always PC here, but then I didn't have the benefit of a US high school education where you are taught to look down upon others because they don't meet your standard of perfection. When I was at school, there wasn't the same emphasis on finishing secondary school as there is today, because jobs were plentiful and the attraction of earning money was strong. In any case, I was the child of a working class family living in an industrial area. a family that had lived through the great depression. There are no longer any high school drop outs here, a standard of secondary education is mandated, not optional
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2021, 07:15 PM
    There are no longer any high school drop outs here, a standard of secondary education is mandated, not optional
    No high school dropouts in Australia? That has already been shown to be a ridiculously false claim.

I didn't say you were a high school dropout. I do question your writing skills, but this is just a message board, so perhaps you are simply being overly informal.
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2021, 05:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    No high school dropouts in Australia? That has already been shown to be a ridiculously false claim.

I didn't say you were a high school dropout. I do question your writing skills, but this is just a message board, so perhaps you are simply being overly informal.
    let's call it lazy, shall we and a tip of the hat to not being PC and following your incredibly bad spelling and grammar rules
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2021, 06:37 PM
    Lazy? Well, I wouldn't go that far in your case. It's bitterness, jealousy, and hatred that's really the big concern.
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2021, 06:35 AM
    Not for me, I wouldn't be in your shoes if you paid me. You see I don't believe the myth, they don't serve koolaid here
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2021, 06:51 AM
    Do you have anything other than myths and shoes? At least you aren't contending that there are no dropouts in Australia. That's progress of sorts.
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2021, 06:07 PM
    You know, you are like our legendary monster, the Bunyip, you keep popping up in unexpected places. No I take that back, you are like that other monster that inhabits the shadows, the Yowie.

oh to be by the billabong when the Yowies are in bloom. Yowoeeeee!
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2021, 07:45 PM
    Hmm. This is still appropriate. "Do you have anything other than myths and shoes (and Yowies)? At least you aren't contending that there are no dropouts in Australia. That's progress of sorts."
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2021, 08:56 PM
    The only dropouts we have are the dropbears that terrorise Yankee tourists
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2021, 09:07 PM
    That's already been shown to be untrue.
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2021, 10:51 PM
    How do you know? Have you ever been here? This is a delightfully place, full of protected species, Koalas, emus, dingoes, aboriginees, just one big national park and barbquearea. I look our my window to the far away hills and thank God I am so blessed
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2021, 04:22 AM
    How do you know?
    Because there is an abundance of reference materials out there that show otherwise. I've already posted them. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showth...60#post3872860

I'm glad you like your country. I'm sure it's a wonderful place in many ways. I have no idea why you cannot love and appreciate where you live without constantly tearing down and criticizing where I live. There's a bitterness there that is hard to explain.
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2021, 03:17 PM
    I've told you before, I don't like the actions of your government, I'm sure the landscape is beautiful, the people warm and loving, but, something gets lost there somewhere
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2021, 03:45 PM
    Sure looks and sounds like bitterness at work. Just sayin.
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2021, 05:00 PM
    No I just an observer, I wish I had something else to observe but your actions dominate the news cycle

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collector's Guild LTD, NY- "original etching" "Pour Roby" Picasso "Star Scene" J Moro [ 0 Answers ]

Both pictures have stickers on the back stating with a "certification seal" that the Picasso is a original etching and the Joan Miro is a lithograph. Moro looks real to me but I can't take the frames off to feel if the paint is real or maybe I don't know what a lithograph should feel like just a...

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

How do I override or clear the "leave" and "return" functions on my thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

I just installed a Honeywell TRH7500 programmable thermostat. The installation went smoothly, but I cannot figure our how to override/clear the "leave/return" schedules. The thermostat comes with 4 daily program settings: wake, leave, return, sleep. I only want to use wake and sleep but I...

View more questions Search