Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    etorres208 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2010, 04:46 PM
    Is my dining table antique?
    I have an old dining table that has this etched on its underside: VIIII.

I would like to know if it is antique or not. Thanks in advance for your help.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Jun 11, 2010, 05:03 PM

Well, that would be the roman numerals for '9.' it may be a makers mark of some kind, a mark for a particular line of furniture, or something that was put there later.

Can you post pictures? Do you have ANY idea how old it might be?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 11, 2010, 05:17 PM
    An antique has to be 100 years or more.

Does the mark say VIII or VIIII? VIII is the Roman numeral for eight and might mean the number of chairs that will fit around the table (versus IV that means four). VIIII isn't really the Roman numeral nine; IX is nine.

Is the wood mahogany or cherry or walnut? Can you tell?
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Jun 11, 2010, 05:26 PM

Although IX is more common for 9, VIIII can be used, as well. In fact, it seems like roman numerals aren't as clear cut as I thought they were.

Roman Numeral Dates | Conversion Guide
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 11, 2010, 05:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hheath541 View Post
    although IX is more common for 9, VIIII can be used, as well. in fact, it seems like roman numerals aren't as clear cut as i thought they were.

Roman Numeral Dates | Conversion Guide
    I agree that both have been used to represent "9." I Googled but haven't come up with anything yet. The public library has books on collectible and antique furniture and identification marks. Maybe call or visit the library.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2010, 12:07 AM
    Hi, etorres208!

The number VIIII could mean any number of things. I use those kinds of numbers to mark the parts for furniture when I refinish them. I etch them onto the undersides of the pieces. I know that other builders and refinishers also do the same thing.

Images would be helpful here.

Also, "antique" is a word that is very subjective. For instance, American furniture built in the style and finish from the 1950's is now outdated, although can still be popular in some homes. Such furniture can be considered to be "antique" as can those from the Art Deco period.

Because of there being so many reproductions of different periods of furniture, what's underneath that table; what the castors are like, if there are any; what any fasteners are like; and, if the original batting is still in the chairs, if there are chairs, is going to more likely reveal more of a story than the overall outward appearance of the table and hopefully, set.

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Selling Stickley dining room table? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Stickley dining room table. On the sticker on the dining table it reads Cherry Valley Stickley Fayette Ville NY. I want to sell this table but have no idea what it would sell for. I do know it was refinished at one time... still looks good now I'm not going to sell the chairs just the...

Displaying/Using Wood Dining Table [ 1 Answers ]

We recently purchased a beautiful dark wood dining table with patchwork inlays. We do NOT want to cover with pads or tablecloths. Is there something equivalent to a gymnasium finish that we could put on the table that would not ruin it but allow us to use it without scratching the surface?

Untreated oak dining table [ 8 Answers ]

I have recently bought an untreated oak dining table and although I like the appearance of it I am concerned that I should treat it someway before use to avoid staining etc. Any advice? :confused:

Dining table surface [ 2 Answers ]

I have a formal dining room wood table with a cherry finish. Something seems to have etched itself into the finish, either a cleaning product my wife used or something else. There are streaks that look like the table was washed with a dirty cloth. Without completely stripping or sanding this...

Height of swag off a dining table? [ 1 Answers ]

The light over our dining table is not centered over the table. I want to swag the lamp and do not have enough chain to swag to the center and need to know what a (S.W.A.G)height off the table would be? Scientific Wild Ass Guess Wayne

View more questions Search