Ask
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2008, 08:54 AM
    Prescriptions to stop smoking
    Has anyone taken prescription drugs to stop smoking
    Or know someone who has?
    Did it work?

Have you or someone you know successfully quit smoking?
    If so, what method was used?

Thanks
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Feb 18, 2008, 09:12 AM
    I was once a very heavy smoker: two to three packs a day of L&M menthol.
    Somewhere along the way, many years ago, I saw a picture of two lungs. Both were from 48 year old males, one that had died from smoking related illness, the other was a motor vehicle fatality.
    The stark contrast between the two made me put down the cigarettes immediately and forever.
    Cold turkey was my way. It is within you to control your mind.
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2008, 10:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich
    I was once a very heavy smoker: two to three packs a day of L&M menthol.
    Somewhere along the way, many years ago, I saw a picture of two lungs. Both were from 48 year old males, one that had died from smoking related illness, the other was a motor vehicle fatality.
    The stark contrast between the two made me put down the cigarettes immediately and forever.
    Cold turkey was my way. It is within you to control your mind.
    Hello cap.
    I truly believe in mind power 100%
    And was able to leave smoking behind without a second thought during my pregnancies.
    I was an idiot to start back up ( both times) because I found quiting much harder this time around.

I was always to afraid to look at a smokers lungs because, well, I smoked.
    But I googled it after I read your post.
    The sight made me sick to my stomach and I'm mortified that my lungs could look like that - absolutely disgusted that could be in my body.

I called my husband and he picked up the patch for me and brought it straight home.
    I heard it didn't work, but I threw out my cigarettes and I'm wearing the patch right now and haven't smoked all day since I saw those pictures.

When ever I feel the urge to smoke, I look at those pictures and get grossed out. I don't want my lungs to look like that.

I had 2 cigarettes this morning before I read your post, but non after.
    I am the only person that smokes in my whole family, so I have no influences to hold me back which is a plus...
    Oh my goodness wish me luck... I'm doing this!!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2008, 11:38 PM
    Great, meaningful and effective dialogue going on in the above posts! I just wanted to say that many years ago, I knew a person who just decided to quit and did so cold turkey. I don't think that he has had a cigarette since. That would have been over twenty years ago.

I do agree that the visualization of the conditions of the lungs or even something else that has been affected by smoking can be a definite aid to someone quiting. The more things that you have to use to help you quit, the better, in my opinion.

Did you ever have pictures in driver's ed where they showed you the difference between the brain of an alcoholic and a non-drinker looked like? I know that seeing those images had a definite effect on me!
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2008, 10:42 AM
    I've never seen the brain of an alcoholic, but aside from an occasional glass of wine (or 2 LOL) I would hope my brain looks OK.
    My lungs I'm worried about though and hope that its possible for them to heal.

I haven't smoked today, but I'm feeling it today more so than yesterday.
    I feel very shaky and anxious - I just keep looking at rotten lung pics reminding myself that I don't want that in my body...

Thanks for the support.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Feb 19, 2008, 05:55 PM
    Been away visiting, but I hear you, Kae.
    The first few days are usually the most diffiecult. I am far removed from the habit, but I still remember what it was like. You're doing good and I admire that!
    Stay strong! It's worth the effort!
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2008, 06:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AKaeTrue
    I've never seen the brain of an alcoholic, but aside from an occasional glass of wine (or 2 LOL) I would hope my brain looks ok.
    My lungs I'm worried about though and hope that its possible for them to heal.

I haven't smoked today, but I'm feeling it today more so than yesterday.
    I feel very shaky and anxious - I just keep looking at rotten lung pics reminding myself that I don't want that in my body...

Thanks for the support.
    AK, I am so happy and proud of you! You go girl. Anything you need, we will be here to help you out! Good luck and stick with it... mind power AK POWER!! :D
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2008, 05:33 PM
    Anything, visulation of reality, drugs, stop smoking aids, call centers, all are going to help us... to a certain degree,. it it indeed what we want to achieve that is how we end up. I have tried the patch, doctors, pills, and everything else in between, and I don't even inhale, yet I want to smoke! We have to try so hard and want it to end, I'm still fighting it, I either do really well, or I smoke,. but it's my dumb decisions and choices that make me a failure, at this point.
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2008, 06:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lovelesspa
    Anything, visulation of reality, drugs, stop smoking aids, call centers, all are going to help us..... to a certain degree,.... it it indeed what we want to achieve that is how we end up. I have tried the patch, doctors, pills, and everything else in between, and I don't even inhale, yet I want to smoke! We have to try so hard and want it to end, I'm still fighting it, I either do really well, or I smoke,..... but it's my dumb decisions and choices that make me a failure, at this point.
    You're not a failure, just a woman trying to over come smoking... which is really, really hard.
    So good for you for trying, like you said, some days you do really well, which is better than not doing well at all.:)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 20, 2008, 06:41 PM
    I am currently on Chantix and I LOVE it!! It changes the receptors in the brain so that I get over the craving very quickly. And when I do light up, it is the nastiest taste I have ever put in my mouth. There is NO enjoyment from smoking anymore.
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2008, 06:54 PM
    AKaeTrue;
    Thank you so much, for your response, I put the cig I was smoking down and threw the pack out,. (breaking the remainder cigs into too small pieces to smoke,, ) sometimes, words help so much! And J-9 I know there's so many options out there, which I hope to be my last resort, of course, I'm anti dug to a certain degree as you know, but sometimes I guess we have to do what we have to do, I tried the Patch, even worked for awhile, but when stress enter the picture and someone has a cig, I'll do it, even though I'm so pisssed at my lack of resistance. I can cut out cholestrol, donuts, fries, but cigs... dammmmm, I'm on the cig wagon as of right now... again. Thanks to AKaetrue, just need words of wisdom, sometimes
    wnk_1001 Posts: 46, Reputation: 4

Feb 20, 2008, 08:47 PM
    I also am on Chantix. I have tried several other methods of quitting before this, but nothing seemed to work. Chantix however, works. It is an oral medication therefore, there are side effects. I suffer from IBS and the Chantix can aggravate this at times if I fail to drink A LOT of water. I must also eat a full meal before taking the medication, otherwise I get vertigo and nausea. Also included have been the strangest and most disturbing dreams I have ever had. I cannot say that these things will happen to you, but they did happen to me. However, I am extremely sensitive to most medications. No matter the side effects, the benefits of this medication are worth it. You have a really good chance of quitting indefinitely with the Chantix, as you already have a desire to quit. Good luck, and do yourself the favor of speaking with your physician about getting a prescription. It was the best thing I ever did for myself.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2008, 04:29 AM
    So, how are things going today for you, AKaeTrue?
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2008, 08:29 AM
    Ak, how are you sweet stuff?
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2008, 11:43 AM
    I'm feeling it... and it's rough,
    But I haven't smoked...
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2008, 11:46 AM
    Oh good, Ak have you tried the deep breaths and the keeping busy? You are so awsome! Keep up the good work, it will get easier with time, I promise!
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2008, 04:52 PM
    lovelesspa, your welcome:D I know you can do it, we all can.
    Even if it means we need to come here for a little support and encouragement.

J and wnk_1001, thanks for telling me about Chantix.
    I looked it up and read how it works and I have a question.
    Have there been any withdrawals from nicotine since it's being blocked from
    The receptors?
    And because it changes the way you receive the dopamine,
    Did either of you get the blues, or depressed at all?
    Or does it not matter how the dopamine is released/received? (hope that makes sense)

Clough and start thank you for asking how I'm doing.
    It means a lot to know that I have support.
    Still haven't smoked today:D
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 21, 2008, 05:41 PM
    Withdrawals? Nope, not for me. I also have very little side effects if any. I have strange dreams, most are very colorful and musical, taking place around amusement parks for some reason.

But, I have had no withdrawals. Cravings, yes. But I get over those in about 10 minutes if I refocus myself.

I do love the dreams though. It's like watching a movie, but I am one of the actors. Too bad I can only take it for another month and a half.

did either of you get the blues, or depressed at all?
    I did not get depressed, although this is now considered a major side effect. I have noticed that I need to do more with my hands, such as cleaning, and over cleaning, but this can be bad too for some people.

Rather than quitting 100% after the 7 day mark, as Chantix is prescribed, I have worked with one of my health care providers in tapering down slowly over the 3 months, which tends to curb the depression that can be associated with Chantix.
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2008, 07:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Withdrawals? Nope, not for me. I also have very little side effects if any. I have strange dreams, most are very colorful and musical, taking place around amusement parks for some reason.

But, I have had no withdrawals. Cravings, yes. But I get over those in about 10 minutes if I refocus myself.

I do love the dreams though. It's like watching a movie, but I am one of the actors. Too bad I can only take it for another month and a half.

I did not get depressed, although this is now considered a major side effect. I have noticed that I need to do more with my hands, such as cleaning, and over cleaning, but this can be bad too for some people.

Rather than quitting 100% after the 7 day mark, as Chantix is prescribed, I have worked with one of my health care providers in tapering down slowly over the 3 months, which tends to curb the depression that can be associated with Chantix.
    It sounds like you're doing very well J, keep up the good work.
    Thank you for sharing your experience on this medication with me.
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2008, 08:58 PM
    lovelesspa, your welcome:D I know you can do it, we all can.
    Even if it means we need to come here for a little support and encouragement.

J and wnk_1001, thanks for telling me about Chantix.
    I looked it up and read how it works and I have a question.
    Have there been any withdrawals from nicotine since it's being blocked from
    the receptors?
    And because it changes the way you receive the dopamine,
    did either of you get the blues, or depressed at all?
    or does it not matter how the dopamine is released/received? (hope that makes sense)

clough and start thank you for asking how I'm doing.
    It means a lot to know that I have support.
    Still haven't smoked today:D
    You still haven't smoked today, I love those good words! Nice job AK! Really, nice job sweet stuff!;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Any medicines out there to help stop Smoking? [ 14 Answers ]

Dear Expert Any one have a good method to helping people to stop smoke ? Have any medicine can help ?Is expensive ? Thanks Dick

Why won't it stop? What would make it stop? [ 6 Answers ]

I don't know why But I can't let go of my ex. I don't care about anyone else I just want her. It has been going on now for 3 months. People say time will heal, how long of time? It is beginning to destroy my life I don't even want to get out of bed. I feel that I cannot be full again with out her?...

How to make some one stop chain smoking [ 4 Answers ]

Hey there, I'm kaushal here.. now I have one big problem there.. my brother is becoming chain smoker now a days... and I don't want that.. so if any suggestion would help me to stop him even smoking... I want him to stop smoking completely... please ans me...

I want him to stop smoking. [ 2 Answers ]

Hey everyone.. I want to ask is smoking bad to ones health?? I know a guy he is smoking since sckool dayz and now he is 27 yesterday I talked with him our topic waz smoking he says no one dies from smoking.. is this true?? I want to stop him from smoking what should I tell him.. when ever I say...

View more questions Search