Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thomas27 Posts: 25, Reputation: 5

Nov 2, 2005, 12:56 PM
    Anti freeze leak
    I have a 99' chrysler lhs leaking anti-freeze. Its not a slow leak, I am constantly adding more around once every other week. I can't figure it out where it is going. No puddles or spots, not in the oil, it's just disapearing. I have high miles (151k) and I am fearing the worst. Is it leaking into my engine? Head gasket? Loose hose? Resivoir? Where is it going? Keep in mind I don't know much about cars plus these chryslers are hard to "get to" which makes it hard to work on and hard to diagnose the problem. What are the possibilities? Should I trade or could it be "worth" fixing?
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Nov 2, 2005, 04:03 PM
    I can tell you my experience.

On my '90 Honda Civic, I had a coolant leak. When the winter came, I noticed that when I stopped at the light stop, white smoke would rise from under my hood. I checked the temp gauge, and it was fine. I just thought that perhaps it's snow that's thawing since the hood is warm. I popped the hood once and noticed that the radiator is leaking. I bought a new radiator and fixed the problem.

It had a tiny crack at the top, so no water could drip out, it could only escape by evaporating.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2005, 06:33 PM
    You could be lucky like Cro. With colder morning, are you getting more white exhaust than you remember? Does it smell white? Pull the plugs. Do any of them have a lump of crud? All bad signs of a leaky head gasket. One other thing, is to open the hood and look around good with both a cold and hot engine. Some leaks show up with one but not the other.

Nov 2, 2005, 09:46 PM
    Thank you for your help so far
    No exhaust but I do smell the coolant at all times it's a pretty strong odor. I need to check the plugs tomorrow when I have some daylight then I'll get back with you.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2005, 06:32 AM
    Radiator leak
    Hi,
    I know this might sound dumb, but have you put in a container of "Radiator Stop-Leak"?
    There are different brands and names on the market. Try a container, see if it works.
    It just might stop the leak, and doesn't cost very much to try it.
    About trading cars; your car is about 6 yrs old. I keep mine, both car and pickup truck, for at least 10 yrs, maybe longer, depending on what has to be repaired. Short of putting a new engine in it, I would keep your car, have the leak fixed. You can always get an estimate before any repairs are made.
    Even trading yours for another "used vehicle" means losing money. Personally, I don't buy "new" vehicles anymore... lose too much money in the process.
    DAVE231 Posts: 91, Reputation: 9

Nov 3, 2005, 08:48 AM
    One place that may leak and be hard to detect is the heater core. If you get a strong smell inside the car, especially when the heat is turned on, check it out. Just a guess because that happened to me once.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2005, 04:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi,
    I know this might sound dumb, but have you put in a container of "Radiator Stop-Leak"?
    There are different brands and names on the market. Try a container, see if it works.
    It just might stop the leak, and doesn't cost very much to try it.
    About trading cars; your car is about 6 yrs old. I keep mine, both car and pickup truck, for at least 10 yrs, maybe longer, depending on what has to be repaired. Short of putting a new engine in it, I would keep your car, have the leak fixed. You can always get an estimate before any repairs are made.
    Even trading yours for another "used vehicle" means losing money. Personally, I don't buy "new" vehicles anymore.....lose too much money in the process.
    I wouldn't try it though, unless your getting ready to trade it in, just think about it, say bars stop leak... stops small leaks, which is essentially a tiny hole, then think about your radiator, heater coil, thermostat, hoses, water pump... the radiator and especially the heater coil have tiny holes inside to carry around coolant.

Though I would expect myself, a heater coil.

Nov 7, 2005, 08:35 AM
    I pulled the plugs and didn't see any crud.
    Van Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2005, 04:14 PM
    I think you may need an compressor test on your cooling systems the find out hidden leaks. I have the same problem on my Ford Falcon. The radiator only shown the leak under pressure. Since replaced the radiator I do not have to top water daidy. Good Luck.
    :)

Nov 25, 2005, 06:45 PM
    Under pressure
    I've had a coolant pressure test... nothing showed up... cost $90. The crysler place told me it would cost at least another $90 to see if its in the head gasket or manifold. I told them to f@#k off. I can't keep putting money into their not-so-diagnostic tests.

Dec 5, 2005, 02:53 PM
    Now its making noise... not knocking but it sounds like something is loose.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Intermittent freeze up revisited... [ 6 Answers ]

To all: To summarize: the intake, the outflow, freon, etc. have been determined to be fine. I guess what I'm really trying to evaluate is the blower motor itself. It is a multi-speed type, although only 2 speeds are used (med & high). Has anyone experience a motor that intermittently doesn't...

HP Freeze [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I'm having trouble with my computer freezing up after 10 min. running. I did a system recovery, but did not help. The problrm began when I was up and running online and I moved the computer an inch or two to hook up speakers to the back. The only way I can shut it off is to hold the start...

My Win Me freeze during start [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, my computer freezes when I start my computer. When I open my computer it gives choices such as run windows in NORMAL, SAFE MODE... but when I do in any, it just hangs, with the win screen but no start bar and no shortcut. I don't know what to do. Can anyone help me, please.

Computer freeze [ 3 Answers ]

Am using win xp, when I open start menu on my desktop and then for e.g. programs-accessories- system tools, or any other program comp freezes up,can only access task manager by using ctrl alt del,which shows nothing happening, moving cursor over this window brings up egg timer icon, then have to...

View more questions Search