Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mamabear96 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2012, 02:22 PM
    The mother of my sons baby says she got full custody of their unborn baby... we live I
    My sons baby mama says she got full custody of their unborn baby. We live in ca. Is this even possible? No notice no court date no violence no restraining orders WTH.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 1, 2012, 02:27 PM
    Are you on the birth certificate ? Since you mention not having been to court and if your name appears nowhere then by default she has it until you move forward through the courts. You should do so right away.
    mamaof2boys Posts: 220, Reputation: 25

Feb 1, 2012, 03:01 PM
    The baby isn't born yet right? Meaning there is no birth certificate.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2012, 03:07 PM
    No one has custody of an unborn child -
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 1, 2012, 04:43 PM
    Judy is right until the child is born no one has custody. Your son will need to register with the state's Putative Father's Registry. Once the child is born, he will need to file in court for joint custody and visitation.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 1, 2012, 04:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    No one has custody of an unborn child -
    Semantics.

Although she doesn't have "custody" she has, as opposed to the father, complete decision-making authority with respect to the unborn child. Because, as dictated by SCOTUS, the fetus is considered a part of her body, and does not have rights of it's own, until birth.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 1, 2012, 05:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Although she doesn't have "custody" she has, as opposed to the father, complete decision-making authority with respect to the unborn child.
    Good point. We don't know what this girl actually said to the possible father. Its possible she simply said (or meant) that whatever she decides to do with the child until its born is her decision. And that is the fact.

But once the child is born, the father can apply for custody.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2012, 05:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Semantics.

Although she doesn't have "custody" she has, as opposed to the father, complete decision-making authority with respect to the unborn child. Because, as dictated by SCOTUS, the fetus is considered a part of her body, and does not have rights of it's own, until birth.

I absolutely agree BUT I don't think the OP is thinking in these terms. Of course the mother has custody and control of the "baby" (or fetus or whatever anyone wants to call it) until it is born.

I never go into these details because I don't know that people asking for custody/visitation in advance think in those terms. It is a good suggestion, though.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Custody laws in ma? Do mothers have a right to their unborn baby [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 16 and I'm 12 weeks pregnant. The father and I are no longer together. Do I have to give the baby his last name? Just because it is his baby doesn't mean he's goiing to be there and support it, id rather do it on my own. If he were to take me to court to fight for the costody would he have an...

I'm about to have a baby and the father is not around will I have full custody [ 1 Answers ]

I live in nh and he lives in mass. Will I need to file for custody or do I have full until he fights me?

How I Take the custody of my unborn baby [ 2 Answers ]

My name is Christoper n I want to know if is a way that I can take d custody of my unborn baby if her mother is abusing of drugs n drink she is 7 months n two weeks :(

Custody of my unborn baby? [ 9 Answers ]

Got married in February I found out I was pregnant in March and My husband is now living with his mother because he says " he will never put nothing before her" She is "the most important thing, the only person who stood by him for 13 years that he was in prison" Our baby is due in November and...

View more questions Search