Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dmc22 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2009, 10:36 PM
    My P-trap for me new vanity does not align with my wall drain
    I installed a vanity and sink and the drain is a good 1 1/2 to 2 inches, left of my p trap, I messed with the existing p-trap, extending,turning and I can't get it to align.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to try next?

Thanks again
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 1, 2009, 03:49 AM

What kind of piping do you have coming out of the wall?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 1, 2009, 03:55 AM
    Hi all...

If it is an adjustable PTRAP as you are suggesting DMC22 then you may be able to purchase an 1-1/4" flexible tailpiece... see image.

You may need to cut the tailpiece coming out of the pop-up assembly to make this work, but it should work. They are available at all home improvement stores.

While at the home improvement store pick up a new 1-1/4" nut and washer or an 1-1/2" x 1-1/4" nut and washer... depending on the size of your PTRAP nut, of course. It is best to replace the old nut/washer now.

Finally, you could also purchase a whole new flexible PTRAP... see image, but only if you have a removable trap.

Hope that helps...

MARK
    Attached Images

Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 1, 2009, 05:15 AM

Yes, you are correct: it usually does not line up. You can utilize swing of the P trap to compensate for the misalignment.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 1, 2009, 05:38 AM
    If the trap doesn't swing far enough to make a connectrion then use Marks flexible tailpiece to make your connection. Good luck, Tom
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 1, 2009, 06:14 AM
    Milo...

You may want to re-read the question he asked... ;) DMC clearly stated that he "messed with the existing p-trap, extending,turning and I can't get it to align".

The flexible tailpiece is most likely his best option!

MARK
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2009, 06:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Milo...

You may want to re-read the question he asked...;) DMC clearly stated that he "messed with the existing p-trap, extending,turning and I can't get it to align".

The flexible tailpiece is most likely his best option!

MARK
    Assuming he's dealing with plastic DWV piping, then what about gluing a street 45 or 22 to the stub-out?
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 1, 2009, 06:23 AM
    Hmmm... If he "messed with the existing p-trap, extending,turning and I can't get it to align" then it is either a tubular metal trap or a tubular plastic trap so I'm betting that he doesn't have plastic DWV piping... ;)

Of course, it could also be a PVC or ABS union Ptrap... and if that is the case, offsetting with fittings will work great!

Hopefully, DMC will pop back and let us know...

MARK
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 1, 2009, 06:26 AM

Mark, that is a great suggestion ! Thank you !

Jul 1, 2009, 01:31 PM
    I am sorry for not filling in all the details, this is the first time I've ever messed with pvc drain pipe, or plumbing in general. I can remove the nut off the pipe coming out of the wall pipe. Someone told me to replace that with a straight pipe, and then get a adjustable p trap.

So off to home depot I am I'll let everyone know how it works out, and thanks again for all the help
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 1, 2009, 01:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dmc22 View Post
    I am sorry for not filling in all the details, this is the first time I've ever messed with pvc drain pipe, or plumbing in general. I can remove the nut off the pipe coming out of the wall pipe. Someone told me to replace that with a straight pipe, and then get a adjustable p trap.

So off to home depot I am I'll let everyone know how it works out, and thanks again for all the help
    YES !

PS: If you post photo of your situation before you leave for HD, we could be bit more helpful...
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 1, 2009, 03:45 PM
    Purchase the 1.5" PVC tubular PTRAP with a flexible neck if possible...much like the picture I posted earlier.

You should also purchase a new 1.5" chrome nut and rubber washer for the connection to the pipe coming out of the wall. Hopefully, the new 1.5" trap comes with an 1.5" x 1.25" nut and washer to attach to the 1.25" pop-up tailpiece.

MARK
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 1, 2009, 03:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dmc22 View Post
    drain is a good 1 1/2 to 2 inches, left of my p trap,
    Okay, when you say p-trap, do you mean sink tailpiece. If so, an adjustable p-trap will cover roughly three inches either way. A pic as Milo suggested would help immensley here.

Iamgrowler had a good idea about using a 45. If the pipe going into the wall is pvc, and you have enough pipe sticking out of wall to cut off the existing trap adapter, then cut it off and glue on a 45(may need a coupling and short piece of pipe to get the 45 far enough out to were it will line up with an adjustable trap). This only pertains if you can't get enough swing in a tubular adustable trap. Just to help make things more clear for me and the others please post a pic of your setup. Good luck.

Jul 1, 2009, 05:30 PM
    Okay,

I purchased a 1 1/4 tube extension for the wall (came with nut and washer) and a 1 inch pvc pipe with (nut and washer) to fill the gap from the bottom of the plastic drain coming from the vanity to the original trap. Then I attached the flex. Extension into the wall and all seems fine.

How do you had pictures in here, without creating a link?
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 1, 2009, 05:43 PM
    Save your image to your pictures library... Then click at GO ADVANCED, then click at MANAGE ATTACHMENTS, then click on BROWSE in the new window and find your image and then double click on the image and then click on UPLOAD at the browse window and then click SAVE CHANGES and it will post here... ;)

Sounds like you're all set to me... :)

MARK

Jul 1, 2009, 06:35 PM
    Here is the drain from the 1st step to the 3rd to last step I'll upload the last 2 in the next post.
    Attached Images

Jul 1, 2009, 06:37 PM
    Last 2 with the finished product.

Thanks for all your help guys really helped me out!!
    Attached Images

Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 1, 2009, 06:40 PM
    Nice job! I wouldn't change a thing!

MARK

Jul 1, 2009, 06:44 PM
    Thanks a lot, this whole thing scared me at first I thought I was going to have to move the vanity over 2 inches and off center of the wall.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2009, 06:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Nice job!! I wouldn't change a thing!!

MARK
    You don't see a problem with him telescoping 1-1/2" into 1-1/4"?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wall Drain and sink trap [ 8 Answers ]

I replace my original sink with a new sink that is much deeper. The problem that I have is that the wall drain is now higher than the sink trap approximately 2.5". Is there a trick of the trade to fix this or do I need to lower the wall drain completely that is in the wall? I hope not as this will...

Reposition P-trap, waste line to accommodate new vanity shelf [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, It seems that this has been a common problem for many. But the problems that are posted have not exactly been identical to mine, thus I am still on a quest to find a favorable solution. I am remodeling my half bath on the first floor. The new vanity has a fixed shelf measuring about 15.5...

Vanity Sink trap [ 4 Answers ]

I'm installing a bathroom sink with very little clearance to place the trap below the waste pipe. Will this present a problem draining water or causing gas fumes? There will also be extra bends involved. Please refer to my sketch. Thanks. Jay

New vanity: trap won't reach wall drain stub [ 3 Answers ]

We replaced a vanity top and sink with a new vanity top having an integrated sink. The new sink is offset horizontally about 1 inch from the old one. Turns out the old sink was at the limit for trap reach; the new one is over further still, so it seems impossible to line up the j-bend portion...

New faucet drain tailpiece does not align with existing pipes [ 1 Answers ]

I simply installed a new faucet & drain pipe for my existing bathroom sink, but now the drain tailpiece does not align with the existing pipes. This doesn't make sense to me, since the drain tailpiece is a straight pipe, but whatever. Do I have to replace the trap, etc. now to make everything...

View more questions Search