Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gsol3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2010, 03:35 PM
    Convering non profits to for profits
    Will converting your organization from Non profit status to for profit status actually cost you more in taxs than you will gain in access?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 21, 2010, 07:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gsol3 View Post
    Will converting your organization from Non profit status to for profit status actually cost you more in taxs than you wil gain in access?
    Access?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 21, 2010, 07:45 PM

Sorry what will you gain ? My non profit can do anything it wants ( to my knowledge) it has to pay taxes on any income that is not from the non profit work
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 22, 2010, 12:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    sorry what will you gain ? my non profit can do anything it wants ( to my knowledge) it has to pay taxes on any income that is not from the non profit work
    Possibly. But since a non-profit doesn't have stockholders, to whom would the "profit" be paid?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 22, 2010, 12:05 PM

Most non-profits do not pay income tax - only those that have activities not directly related to their non-profit purpose, and then only if the activity generates more than $1000 in income. For example, it can be an an issue for museums that sell a lot of items from their gift shop. This is called an "unrelated business income tax." But activities using only donated labor (such as if a church youth group that runs a car wash fund raiser), or that involves selling only donated items are exempt from this tax.

But to the OP's question - obviously converting to a for-profit can trigger income taxes which a non-profit would avoid. But please clarify what you mean by "access."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Non profits websites [ 5 Answers ]

Good Day We are in the process of creating a website for our Nonprofit in Georgia. The Focus of this site will be for the Afrikaans Speaking Community in the USA. We have been told that the whole website must be in translated Engilsh also. Is this true ? Thanks Dirk

Tracking Profits [ 1 Answers ]

How do I rewrtie =48+22 in the standard form of a quadratic equation

Non profits. [ 8 Answers ]

Where are the best places to find jobs with charities foundations and non profit organizations?

Maximize profits [ 1 Answers ]

Kappos Company sells a single product that has variable costs of $14 per unit. Fixed costs will remain constant across all levels of sales: Units Sold-80,000; Price per unit-$35; Units Sold-90,000; Price per unit-$33; Units Sold-100,000; Price per unit-$31; Units Sold-110,000; Price per unit-$29;...

View more questions Search