Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 30, 2010, 05:09 PM
    Cutlery up or down after a good meal?
    I googled this and couldn't find a satisfactory answer.

Last night my husband and I went out for a very nice dinner. After dinner he placed his cutlery down (fork prongs facing the plate and spoon facing down) on the plate.

I asked him if he didn't enjoy the meal. He said it was very good. I then questioned why he had placed his cutlery down, as that signified that he wasn't pleased with the meal. He disagreed.

I have always been told that after a good meal, to show that you are pleased, you should put the cutlery face up, as it signifies that you would love to have more.

So who's right, hubby or me?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 30, 2010, 05:53 PM

Niether if you didn't cross it when left on the plate :)

(quote)
    To signal that your are done with the course, rest your fork, tines up, and knife blade in, with the handles resting at five o'clock an tips pointing to ten o'clock on your plate.

Ref:

Dining Etiquette Guide, Dinner Party Manners, United States Dining Table Manners, Dinner Etiquette, Restaurant Dining Etiquette, Food Etiquette Guide
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 30, 2010, 07:04 PM

It's cultural. In most restaurants below four stars it won't even be noticed.

Four and above speak a European language if you finish tines down.
    Pets Expert

Apr 30, 2010, 09:20 PM

Wait, so Calidad says tines up and Cats says tines down?

Do we have a tie breaker?
    Pest Control Expert

May 1, 2010, 05:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Wait, so Calidad says tines up and Cats says tines down?

Do we have a tie breaker?
    Playoff: Do you fork with your left hand or right?
    Pets Expert

May 1, 2010, 12:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    Playoff: Do you fork with your left hand or right?
    WT? ;)

I use my right hand. My parents were horrified. I can't cut with my right hand for some reason, even though I am right handed. I'm a freak. ;)
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

May 1, 2010, 02:18 PM

Hmm.. I've heard that you are supposed to place the utensils face down at the rim of the plate with the handle resting on the table. The waiter/waitress then knows that you are finished the meal and takes your plate.
    Pest Control Expert

May 2, 2010, 03:48 AM
    WT? ;)

I use my right hand. My parents were horrified. I can't cut with my right hand for some reason, even though I am right handed. I'm a freak. ;)
    Dad wins. You've become Americanized in your dining habits. No slurs on your place of residence, I can't spell Canadiananananized(see?).
    Pets Expert

May 2, 2010, 11:31 AM

Okay, hubby and I talked about it and we're coming up with our own system of etiquette with respect to fine dining.

If you like the meal you place the cutlery on the plate at the 10 and 2 position, fork on it's side, knife with blade part pointing in, napkin folded in the shape of a swan and placed gently at the 12 o'clock position.

If you don't like the meal you stab the waiter with the fork and run like hell. :p
    Internet Research Expert

May 2, 2010, 12:03 PM
    Okay, hubby and I talked about it and we're coming up with our own system of etiquette with respect to fine dining.

If you like the meal you place the cutlery on the plate at the 10 and 2 position, fork on it's side, knife with blade part pointing in, napkin folded in the shape of a swan and placed gently at the 12 o'clock position.

If you don't like the meal you stab the waiter with the fork and run like hell. :p
    Speaking of not likeing the meal. I have left a penny for a tip before because the service during the meal was horrid. What's a good one for that? Besides stab and go go go..
    Pets Expert

May 2, 2010, 12:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Speaking of not likeing the meal. I have left a penny for a tip before because the service during the meal was horrid. Whats a good one for that? Besides stab and go go go ..
    You could always throw the pennies at the waiter. I hear that ticks off prostitutes, so why not crappy waiters? :p

I'm kidding! Put the penny down! :eek:

Personally I think that fancy restaurants where this fork and knife etiquette thing might actually be noticed, should write the standard procedure in the menu. It would come in handy for those of us that dine at McDonalds and don't usually use cutlery. ;)
    Pest Control Expert

May 2, 2010, 01:22 PM
    Speaking of not likeing the meal. I have left a penny for a tip before because the service during the meal was horrid. Whats a good one for that? Besides stab and go go go ..
    Standing up, yelling obscenities and throwing your plate on the floor might clue the server that you're not pleased.
    Internet Research Expert

May 2, 2010, 03:01 PM
    Standing up, yelling obscenities and throwing your plate on the floor might clue the server that you're not pleased.
    Either that or your getting a handicap discount for turrets.
    Pest Control Expert

May 2, 2010, 03:12 PM
    Either that or your getting a handicap discount for turrets.
    Then there's the superglue for the penny. It works better when they don't have tablecloths.
    Pets Expert

May 2, 2010, 03:16 PM
    Then there's the superglue for the penny. It works better when they don't have tablecloths.
    But then you have to stick around and video tape. :)
    Pest Control Expert

May 2, 2010, 03:18 PM
    But then you have to stick around and video tape. :)
    Tip the bartender for the security footage with what you would have spent on a decent server.
    Pets Expert

May 2, 2010, 09:16 PM
    Tip the bartender for the security footage with what you would have spent on a decent server.
    You've done this before. ;)
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 2, 2010, 09:41 PM

Did the cleanup crew use a crumber?
    Pets Expert

May 2, 2010, 09:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    Did the cleanup crew use a crumber?
    I didn't stick around for that, but the waiter came around with fresh pepper and the napkins were real. :)
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 2, 2010, 09:47 PM

Check the references for instructions: Crumber - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It would have been used during the meal, between courses. I've only been to ONE restaurant that used one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cutlery with date 1867 [ 1 Answers ]

I have a flatware set dates 1823 gold on sterling silver

Antique cutlery [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know the value of a Baron Solingen cutlery set, from Solingen Germany. It has bone carved handles with a rabbit on the fork and an deer on the knife.

Diabetic meal? [ 8 Answers ]

Hey everyone! My grandmother is a diabetic and she has done so much for us over the years. My grandfather just got out of the hospital and we want to cook them am meal. It has to be a diabetic meal, so my grandmother can eat it. Thanks! rubberduck10

Any good meal recipes? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello! I was wondering.. do any of you have healthy dinner recipes that you could let me know of? Me and my boyfriend have been dieting together for a little over a month now and we have been eating basically baked chicken and salad for dinner since then, because we don't know of any good healthy...

Price your meal [ 1 Answers ]

What are the cons and the pros of the idea of "bidding your meal online" like eBay auction, except this bidding is for restaurants only. Members login to my website and start to bid their meals offered by restaurant participants. Any good name for my online business? I was thinking "RESTOBAY" as...

View more questions Search