Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iwsntpreared Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2008, 08:46 PM
    I want to move to Texas and I am on probation
    I just recently got a DUI in Ohio on October 5,2007. I got put onto probation in November. I am on probation for a year. I wanted to transfer everything to Texas and continue my probation there. I can't find a job or anything here in Ohio. I have a place to stay in Texas and I know it would be a great start to straighten up my life. I have never been into trouble before. So, basically I was wondering what the odds would be of them letting me move to Texas to live. Is it possible? My mother is kicking me out of my home and I don't associate with anyone here in Ohio anymore. Moving to Texas really is my only hope. I lived there for fifteen years and still talk to many people there. So what are my chances??
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2008, 09:07 PM
    Ask your Probation Officer first before you go moving anywhere. Generally, you will have to have a place to live and a job in Texas before anyone in their right mind in the Court will transfer anything for you. Transferring probation is more a chore than you'd think and PO's are not interested in going out of their way for you.

When you are on Probation you are not allowed to leave the state without permission or you will be violated. If you do move out of where you are now, let your Probation officer know asap where you are living as they can and will violate you if they find out you are living elsewhere and they don't know about it.

Jan 6, 2008, 09:21 PM
    Ah, see its really complicated twinkiedooter, My probation officer quit, so they brought in this guy that was retired... awesome. Well like you said they do not enjoy going out of their way for you. I can understand that considering it is my mistake that I made. I don't want to just pick up and leave because I don't want to get into trouble! It is just my only option. My probation officer said that it is possible it just takes a long time. How could I get a job in Texas if I don't live there? I do have a place to live down there though. I just know I could really get my life together there. I can't find a job here in Ohio to save my life. Is there anything else I should know?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2008, 10:01 PM
    When they said a long time, believe me they mean it. The probation office person can either work for you or against you... it all depends on you and your attitude and how well you get along with them. Although DUI is not a huge deal to be on probation (for them that is) it is and should be for you! Since you said you have a place to live down there, tell the PO about it and see what, if anything, he can do for you. Some of the PO's are human and will help you out and others are really nasty and won't listen to a thing you have to say. Ask them and see how they feel about you moving there since you will have a place to live. They just might go for it and transfer you to a different state.

In either case, keep looking for a job. Try the Ohio State Employment web site for a job. Lately there have been more employers posting job there. Also try Careerbuilders.com and Monster.com. The local newspapers have few and no jobs to offer. You should have better luck now that the holidays have come and gone and more employers are back to business as usual and hiring new people.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2008, 04:45 AM
    Hello I:

At the top of the criminal law page on a "sticky note", I wrote a thing called transfer of probation. You should read it.

excon
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2008, 07:35 AM
    I am just curious, because my husband just got a DUI in Ohio. He goes to court next week. Was this your first one? What was the punishment? (Obviously probation :) )

I am really just trying to prepare myself for what could lay ahead. I am having trouble coming up with the retainer fee for his lawyer - so I know the fine is going to be tough.

Any advice/insight would be great - thanks

Jan 7, 2008, 10:48 AM
    Hi "nowwhat" well it was my first DUI. I had gotten pulled over because my taillight cover was smashed and they were letting me know. Well I was in a college town where there are many many bars. They asked if I had been drinking, I said yes sir I had a beer before I left. I saw no reason to lie. Well I blew a .141 when the legal limit is .08 It blew me away. I got arrested and had to go to court. I pleaded not guilty at first because that's what someone told me to do. I got a public defender which was $25.00 It didn't do my any good that's for sure. What they gave me was 180 days of a suspended license, I have to attend a 72 hour DUI school which costs $350.00. 16 hours of community service, One full year of supervised probation which is $50.00 a month. They will randomly test you. My fine came out to $357.00. I have to get insurance in my name but I have to have a job to do so. I can't drive to get a job unless I can drive so I am rather stuck on that one... I really just depends on the Judge. Depends on where he got the DUI, what happened when he got it, what he blew... I hope I answered your questions dear, feel free to ask away.

Jan 7, 2008, 10:52 AM
    Twinkiedooter,

He seemed very nice. Just not wanted to be there considering he is retired. So he told me to cal around in Houston and find things out, but when I did so they told me that's not my job that it was his job. So on the 1th I will meet up with him. I just hope this works it would mean the world to me. Thank you for your help.

Jan 7, 2008, 12:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello i:

At the top of the criminal law page on a "sticky note", I wrote a thing called transfer of probation. You should read it.

excon

Since I live in Ohio in a small town I cannot find jobs to same my life. If I do not have a job in Texas where I want to be transferred to, could they still possibly approve for me to go there? I just know my life with get straightened out if I do move there.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2008, 12:34 PM
    Hello again, I:

Maybe. You'll have to see what the rules are.

But, I doubt it... They know it's tough to find work, so they don't want you unemployed in THEIR jurisdiction. They'll be happy to take you if they don't think you'll be a problem.

excon

Jan 7, 2008, 12:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello again, i:

Maybe. You'll have to see what the rules are.

But, I doubt it.... They know it's tough to find work, so they don't want you unemployed in THEIR jurisdiction. They'll be happy to take you if they don't think you'll be a problem.

excon

Oh I really hope so. I'm not a bad person. I have never been into trouble and I don't have a bad attitude with anyone. I have tried finding jobs here in Ohio, it just is not working out well at all! I look in Houston though and I see many many many, so I apply for those like crazy. I guess all I can do it hope for the best right?
    MetalJuggalette Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2008, 02:25 PM
    Wow its so WEIRD I am on the EXACT same level as you, I got on probation for a year and a dui in November also. Plus I was 19. I am also in Ohio wanting to move to Texas in may (when I get my Ls back.) I have a friend that is willing to get me a plane ticket to move there with them. I still have to do that $350 school thing by feb. And got to pay that $50 mo. I just thought this was so weird because I relate to this 100% hah. I just realized I also got this retired guy.. do you go to the place in ravenna?

Jan 8, 2008, 03:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalJuggalette
    Wow its so WEIRD I am on the EXACT same level as you, I got on probation for a year and a dui in november also. Plus I was 19. I am also in ohio wanting to move to texas in may (when I get my Ls back.) I have a friend that is willing to get me a plane ticket to move there with them. I still have to do that $350 school thing by feb. And gotta pay that $50 mo. I just thought this was so weird because I relate to this 100% hah. I just relized I also got this retired guy.. do you go to the place in ravenna?

Ah I sure do!! Please continue to talk to me... we both need to figure out a way to get to Texas!
    MetalJuggalette Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2008, 07:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by iwsntpreared
    Ah i sure do!!! please continue to talk to me..... we both need to figure out a way to get to texas!

That's crazy hahh Well, he would probably be like why do these people both want to go to Texas

Do you have a myspace or aim

Jan 8, 2008, 07:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalJuggalette
    That's crazy hahh Well, he would probably be like why do these people both want to go to texas

do you have a myspace or aim

Yeah Im me at iwsntprepared
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2008, 07:21 AM
    Okay, you guys live in portage county, Ohio? Weird. Me too. So, from what you are telling me - these orders came down from a judge my husband could have. So, now I know what they are issuing.

Did you have attorneys?

Jan 9, 2008, 11:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NowWhat
    okay, you guys live in portage county, Ohio?? Weird. Me too. So, from what you are telling me - these orders came down from a judge my husband could have. So, now I know what they are issuing.

Did you have attorneys?

I had a public defender... which did absolutely nothing.
    If he has Judg Plough... it will possibly not be too good.
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2008, 11:27 AM
    No, Judge Watson. We are hiring an attorney. So, hopefully things will go well.

Jan 9, 2008, 12:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NowWhat
    No, Judge Watson. We are hiring an attorney. So, hopefully things will go well.

Well good for you. Not having Judge Plough will hopefully help out a lot. He might not get probation. Judge Plough is the only one who does probation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trying to move to Texas [ 1 Answers ]

I am a single mother of 2 daughters. One is my ex husbands, she is now 2 yrs old. I would really love to move to Texas with them. We will be able to start over with our lives and I will have a wonderful job with benefits which I currently do notr have now.. I am a little scared he will try to...

Colorado probation transfer to Texas [ 1 Answers ]

I have a domestic violence case on me, pending if I complete 1 year probation anger management classes and parenting classes. I spoke with my probation officer to get a transfer back to Texas, he told me to get a job and not to worry. Well I get in contact with the probation office here in Texas...

Probation transfers in Texas [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering how long it would take for someone with a felony to be transferred fron Texas to Montana?

Job needs me to move out of state but on probation. [ 5 Answers ]

Ok, so I'm needed to move out of state VERY QUICKLY to another state for my job but I'm currently on probation here in AZ. My PO has said that it's possible to get the probation transferred, but that that process could take up to 6 months. I need this done in about 2 weeks. Are they are any options...

Does Texas law require 30 or 60 days notice to move out [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter signed a one year lease due to expire on June 10th. She is moving to another state and gave notice on May 9th, which is 30 days. She was told that her contract said 60 days notice is required, so she would need to pay another 2 month's rent (approximately 1200.00). She has fulfilled...

View more questions Search