Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nyezoo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2005, 05:46 PM
    Weedeater
    I have a Weedeater model XT 20T. A month ago when it last worked the engine would konk out. I was able to finish the job after several restarts. Finally wouldn't start at all. I replaced the deteriated fuel line, put a new spark plug in it, used fresh gas, and cleaned the air filter. Still won't start. When I remove the plug and I can get a spark when grounding the electrode. Repair place here charges $50 minimum fee. I paid $90 for it new in 1990. Don't want to throw it out but don't want to put $50+ into it.

Any ideas?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2005, 05:13 AM
    Weedeater
    Hi,
    It probably needs a new coil, of some type, that supples the electricity spark to the spark plug. If you don't want to spend the $50 on it to repair it, then you have no choice but to trash it.
    Personally, I wouldn't put money into something that is old, when a new one doesn't cost that much more.
    I do wish you the best.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2005, 01:31 PM
    Doesn't sound like the coil just yet, try a little gas mix, or a little starting fluid in the carb, or down the spark plug hole... put the spark plug back in tight of course. If it starts, the carb sounds like the fault... you said the fuel line was deteriorated... take the carb off, check the little inlet screen on it, it's a mesh screen, that can get clogged, and probably from fuel line bits. If you don't feel like hassling over it... wal mart does sell them pretty cheap. A poulan really isn't worth putting a lot of money into it like that when it gets of age.
    nyezoo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2005, 10:23 AM
    Weedeater
    Thanks briggsdude for the suggestion to clean the inlet screen in the carb. Started right up after, then plugged again. Back to taking it apart and cleaning the screen again. I had changed gas once. Changed it again. Make sure you get the rubber gasket right side up-I think I made that mistake and had to take it apart a 3rd time. My 15 year old Weedeater now purrs like a kitten. Not sure it was worth all the time though.

This is a good lesson for anyone who spends the time to replace the fuel line. Your only half way home. If it doesn't start right away-clean that little screen that is buried in the car.

nyezoo
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2005, 03:14 PM
    Glad to help, and also glad you got it going again

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

WeedEater FeatherLite [ 5 Answers ]

I have a WeedEater FeatherLite gas trimmer and last weekend it just stopped working as I it was in use. I tried to start it up and the pull string won't move an inch. Any ideas as to how to fix this? Thanks

Weedeater Featherlite Plus help [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all I have a Weedeater Featherlite Plus and has been a good tool to me. I have a problem, though. Lately, when I crank the weedeater up and place the lever from half choke to full choke, the weedeater goes from its usual roar, to a hum, even when I push the throttle down all the way, and...

Help with Weedeater [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I have a weedeater LT-7000, that has been giving me trouble lately, it runs real rough and wants to stall at full throttle, after cleaning the carb, muffler and port,and air filter,I recently discovered the fuel lines that run through the gas tank are broken inside the tank and I am not...

Hedgehog Weedeater [ 1 Answers ]

I have a GrassHog model #GH 600 ( Black and Decker ) electric weedeater that recently quit feeding and seems like the line is starting to shred from heat?? Any suggestions?? :confused: :)

Featherlite weedeater [ 1 Answers ]

My mother has this weedeater and wanting to do something nice for her I was going to us it and weed eat around her place. The thing is this doesn't look like the weedeaters I'm used to I can't find out how to get the bloody line in. My mom not knowing either. I read about it being bump and go,...

View more questions Search