Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mlenfert Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2007, 09:52 AM
    Fan and light kit are on the same switch. Want to change it.
    Hi,

I just purchased a new construction home and I am wanting to figure out the easiest way to put the fans and light kits on separate switches or controls.
    I have a large vaulted rectangular living room that has two fans with a light kit on each fan. Both of the fans and the light kits are connected to one switch so that when I flip the switch everything will power on and then if I want to adjust anything I go and pull on the pull chains on each fan. I am really wanting to somehow put the lights and the fans on separate controls. Is there an easy way to do this besides having to run a new wire to both fans and back down to the switch? I have already checked in the switch box and it was not wired with an extra lead wire from the switch to the fans.
    Is it possible maybe if I switched out the fans and lights with a different model fan and light? I really want to get this done but fishing wires is something that I want to avoid.
    Thanks for any insight or help.
    Matt
    ZCCG Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

May 4, 2007, 10:06 AM
    Well, you would have to get a second wire up to the fan.
    1 to control the light and 1 for the fan control.
    Since it sounds like you want to avoid pulling in any new wire, maybe you might want to look at a remote controlled fan/light. They might make a remote control unit for your model fan that can be added on. Otherwise you would have to buy one that has a remote built in.
    The way I wired my fans at my house are that I control the fan via the pull chain and the light is worked off the switch in the wall.
    Don't know if this helped you out, but I hope it did.
    C'ya
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 5, 2007, 01:58 PM
    Pull switch cover off and switches out. Look at wire coming off fan/light switch does it have(hopefully green , white, yellow for light and orange for fan is very common. You could luck out and have spare? Switch leg capped off.
    Electricians who don't pull an extra switchlegs are wimps. I would have pulled 2 yellows and 2 oranges for a variety of options.
    Remotes may be you option if pulling one wire out and 2 wires in, is not possible because of lack of conduit,
    They make a light/fan switch combo that will fit in one space.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

May 7, 2007, 04:11 PM
    They make kits with a receiver that fits inside the fan canopy, and a switch that mounts in place of your wall switch, that will cotnrol fan and light separately with no addditional wiring. These are more reliable than the wireless remote kits.

He already said there wasn't a second hot lead ran. That surprises me. Usually in new construction, they always run two hot leads for fan and light. We get a thousand questions here when people buy remote fans but have two hot wires.

Ceiling fan remote controls - help and FAQ- Ceiling Fans N More

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Light Kit for Ceiling Fan [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought I Home Essentials ceiling fan from K-MART and I wired the fan portion just fine. The wires were nice and color coded Black to black, red to red, white to white and green to bare copper for the ground wire. I turned on the power and it works fine. When I shut the power back off,...

Ceiling fan light kit [ 1 Answers ]

I went to replace the light bulb in my ceiling fan and it keeps turning around so I can't get the bulb out. How can I fix it so it won't spin like that?

Ceiling Fan Light Kit [ 4 Answers ]

I've been trying to figure out how to do this and I'm slowly getting there. I wasn't able to buy just the light switch itself, I had to buy the whole unit with one black wire and one white wire coming out top. I'm assuming that has to go back up into the fan unit but I'm stumped as to how I get...

Ceiling fan with light kit on separate switches [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently replaced a ceiling fan with light kit with a newer model. I hooked up the wires from the new fan/light to the same wires in the ceiling box that the old fan was hooked up to. There are two switches on the wall plate, one for the light and one for the fan. When I hooked up the new...

Light kit for ceiling fan [ 1 Answers ]

I just purchased a Harbor Breeze 52in. Helix II Ceiling fan. The light kit came with the fan. There are 5 G9 blubes that came with the light kit. My problem is that the fan works properly but the lights will not come on. The instructions say to "connect the black wire plug from the fan to the...

View more questions Search