Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ImFrNH Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2006, 07:21 PM
    Ceiling Fan Light Kit
    I've been trying to figure out how to do this and I'm slowly getting there. I wasn't able to buy just the light switch itself, I had to buy the whole unit with one black wire and one white wire coming out top. I'm assuming that has to go back up into the fan unit but I'm stumped as to how I get the bottom part removed to get at the wires underneath. There's 4 screws around the perimeter and I tried to unscrew without any luck. You have the (4) blades for the fan and underneath that is the enclosed unit that contains all the wires. I'm trying to figure out how to get that off so I can reroute the wires from the ceiling fan light kit...

Thanks in advance...
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2006, 02:24 AM
    Ok, I'm a little bit unsure as to what you are trying to accomplish. Are you attaching a light to a fan that didn't have one before?

Dec 3, 2006, 05:23 AM
    I'm trying to fix a broken pull chain light switch. Chain broke off, and Home Depot only had a ceiling fan light kit which I'm trying to REPLACE an existing one. The light kit wires have to be rerouted back into the light fixture so I'm trying to figure out how to reverse engineer the process to get to the original wiring that goes back into the ceiling fixture.

The light kit has one black wire and one white wire which then has to be rerouted from the light kit back into the ceiling fan so I have to take something off to expose the wires that are underneath now...

Hope that explains it a little better?

Dec 3, 2006, 08:29 AM
    I finally figured it all out. The housing unit that contains all the wires was on with (4) screws and they were almost stripped so I had to use a wrench to twist them off. Finally exposing the wires that I needed to get to. Now I can rewire the new ceiling light switch unit to the existing wires and put it all back together. Once I got the step ladder out and was able to look at it from a better angle I started to remove screws and finally got to the exposed existing wires... I basically rewired black to black, white to white and now I'm putting it all back together.

Thanks...
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2006, 11:38 PM
    You know you can just buy a new pullchain switch, very cheap.

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/c...and-repair.php

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Light Kit for Ceiling Fan [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought I Home Essentials ceiling fan from K-MART and I wired the fan portion just fine. The wires were nice and color coded Black to black, red to red, white to white and green to bare copper for the ground wire. I turned on the power and it works fine. When I shut the power back off,...

Ceiling Fan light kit won't work [ 1 Answers ]

:( I bought 2 light kits for our lightless ceiling fans and neither will work. We took the black and white wires from the fan labeled "live wires; for light kit" and hooked them up to the wires from the light kit. Black to black; white to white. Nothing works; we redid the wiring with different...

Ceiling fan with light kit on separate switches [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently replaced a ceiling fan with light kit with a newer model. I hooked up the wires from the new fan/light to the same wires in the ceiling box that the old fan was hooked up to. There are two switches on the wall plate, one for the light and one for the fan. When I hooked up the new...

Light kit for ceiling fan [ 1 Answers ]

I just purchased a Harbor Breeze 52in. Helix II Ceiling fan. The light kit came with the fan. There are 5 G9 blubes that came with the light kit. My problem is that the fan works properly but the lights will not come on. The instructions say to "connect the black wire plug from the fan to the...

Ceiling Fan - Light kit removal [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan - model CC 52HD. It currently has a light kit attached to it and I'd like to remove it, but need the "cap" that should fit over where the light kit currently is attached. Anyone know where I can find one of these? Are they standard?

View more questions Search