Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eclipseego Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2008, 10:35 PM
    My friend has shown symptoms of anorexia
    Hi, the reason I'm posting is that my best friend has been showing the starting symptoms of anorexia. She does realize what's happening and she is afraid of falling into it, what should I do to try and help her stop these symptoms. By the way, she feels that she is obese and she isn't, she is just a little bit above her ideal BMI, she doesn't eat good all the time, she is sometimes depressed or tired, and she excercises a lot. What should I do to help her overcome these symptoms and become normal once again?
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2008, 10:38 PM
    What are these symptoms you're seeing?
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2008, 02:11 PM
    To me that is a really scary one to deal with. If on the one hand you tell her parents of your concerns and they let on, she will likely hate you. On the other hand if you don't and she dies because of this you will feel bad for not telling someone. Personally I think you should confront her and suggest some counselling. If that fails, and you are not worried about losing a friend, tell her parents. Someone responsible needs to step into this situation and get her some professional help.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2008, 04:44 PM
    Tell her to take vitamin B complex once a day after her biggest meal.
    They can help increase her appetite and help her depression and tiredness.
    mwilliams15 Posts: 172, Reputation: 24

Apr 25, 2008, 05:05 PM
    Honestly, there is nothing you can do to change her perceptions of herself. Anorexia and bulimia are diseases that can only be congrolled through therapy and guidance. It's somewhat like alcoholism.. once an alcoholic-always an alcoholic.. she will have to go through a program in order to lessen her symptoms and stay healthy. What you need to do is suggest that she seek professional help. Tell her you are concerned about her and you love her. You don't want to see her hurt herself by giving in to anorexia. Suggest that she talks to her parents or maybe a school counsler about this issue. If she refuses to do this and you notice her getting worse, you need to tell an adult before she ends up being really caught up in the disease.. her life could even end..
    Be mature, make the best decision you can.
    Good luck =)
    nakiapet Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2008, 10:21 PM
    Well if you're her true friend, then you shold help her get better, have a healthy diet. My friend had signs of eating problems and we had a spa day twice a week, it helprd her calm down and relaxe, she still struggles, but if it gets surrieous, I would go get a doctor before it gets worse.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Anorexia. Symptoms [ 6 Answers ]

What are some symptoms for anorexia that if it gets bad enough you have to go to the ER?

Anorexia or just another phase? [ 6 Answers ]

Okay yeah so basically my whole family thinks I'm anorexic, I mean its not like I stop eating or anything like that. I mean.. I feel guilty and all after eating a lot, and I try like every fad diet out there at 15, and it feels like all I think about is my weight. I also feel depressed all time,...

Define Anorexia [ 1 Answers ]

I'm an overweight person myself but I'm struggled with eating disorders all my life. I have been anorexic. But since I'm overwt, and starving myself constantly, and starting to lose wt, am I considered anorexic or is there a name for this?

Can't get over anorexia? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, 4 years ago I became anorexic, its hard to even remember why it happened, I just know every time I weighed myself or looked in the mirror I was fat! I was only 16 and didn't think any thing of not eating for a week and then only eating 500 kcals on some days.I didn't think it would harm my...

Anorexia [ 3 Answers ]

I like a girl A lot but she thinks she is fat. She doesn't has no fat on her. She has that like tiny bit of what I would call skin around her belt line in stomach. But she does not have a belly. She has already been put in a hospital for not eating. And talks about passing out like its nothing. She...

View more questions Search