Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sacha Posts: 94, Reputation: 7

Jul 31, 2007, 08:57 AM
    Being sued for debt
    OK I had a capital one card that I have not paid for proly a year now, only because I was not able to. I received a notice in the mail from law office of cohen and slamowitz claiming they are getting ready to sue me if I don't pay my debt. I currently owe $1800. I have called to try to come to an agreement on payments I can do monthly, but they are not being reasonable. The woman I spoke to on the phone had a horrible attitude, and wasn't really cooperating with me. She didn't care that I was a college student and that I didn't make that much money. We agreed with paying 200 a month, and I signed papers that came in the mail saying that I agree to do such a thing. I post dated a check for 200 on July 5, but when I checked my account 2 days later, and they have not taken the money yet. I started to get worried, because they had my account and routing number, and didn't take the money when they were supposed to. I didn't want them to think they had the freedom of taking the money whenever they felt like it.so I put a stop payment on the check and I opened a new account at a new bank. 200 is way too much for me to pay. Now I got a letter in the mail from them stating that if I don't send them a replacement check, they will exercise their rights by the law. Can they really sue me for debt? What should I do? I am very scared
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 09:00 AM
    Yes they can. You enter into a contract with the credit card company when you signed that application.

Only thing I'm confused about is there were no collection calls? It went straight from you not paying to being sued?

Jul 31, 2007, 09:02 AM
    Yes there were numerous calls before it got to this point, but I always avoided their calls
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 09:05 AM
    Ouch. You never avoid a debt. But I guess you've figured that out now.

I would send the check again via certified mail so you will know it has been received. You need to show some good faith here. I would call them and say that you were scared when the check wasn't cashed and you panicked and stopped payment.

Jul 31, 2007, 09:08 AM
    I guess I will try again, but it might be too late because they wanted a replacement check within 10 days, it is past that now. And I realistically cannot pay 200 a month. I'm still in school
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 09:14 AM
    Well you should call them and work something out or else you will have to pay court fees et al. This won't go away you have to do something. This is a pretty bad mark on your credit report and it will stay for a long time.

Jul 31, 2007, 09:16 AM
    I have told the lady on the phone that I will not be able to give them a check until September for the debt, but she didn't want to wait till then. This was in the beginning. I really don't know what to do. I have no money till then
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 09:23 AM
    Unfortunately, you are probably out of the negotiation phase with them. The collection agency could have worked something out. I would call back and say I have no money I don't know what to do. Can we arrange something like $20 until I can pay the full amount. See what they say.

Again you cannot ignore this because they will take you to court and it will be much, much, much worse.

Jul 31, 2007, 03:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GlindaofOz
    Unfortunately, you are probably out of the negotiation phase with them. The collection agency could have worked something out. I would call back and say I have no money I don't know what to do. Can we arrange something like $20 until I can pay the full amount. See what they say.

Again you cannot ignore this because they will take you to court and it will be much, much, much worse.
    I just want to say thanks for suggesting that I call the debt collector to work a deal. I called and we did come up to a certain agreement, and no she didn't allow me to pay at least 20 dollars, although that would have been perfect, lol. But you if I didn't get your advice I wouldn't have called her and I proly would have been sent to court. Thanks
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 05:24 PM
    No problem. I always believe that life hands you lessons they just tend to be the most expensive ones to learn. Good luck with everything
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 31, 2007, 05:50 PM
    Do NOT send them a personal check. Send Money orders.

Aug 1, 2007, 06:56 AM
    You, I definitely learned my lesson. Lol. Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Debt & Being Sued [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I have a problem. In 2001 I had an onset with RA (Rhuematoid Arthritis). I do have all types of paperwork about my illness. Will it help? I could not work and by 2003. I was better and starting working full-time again. I was later sued and got a judgement against me in FL....

Being Sued for a Debt I owe [ 6 Answers ]

I have been sued by an attorney hired by who I thought was a friend to gain $3650.00 that I do owe him. We had an arrangement I thought but that isn't the case now. The attorney sent me some papers to sign with a payment arrangement but I am reluctant to sign these papers for fear that I won't be...

Getting sued for a 10 year old debt [ 5 Answers ]

I received a letter from a lawyer saying I had a 10 year old mastercard with $5000 outstanding. I called the credit card company and they know nothing about it. I vagley remember something about it but thought it was all taken care of. The law firm is very aggressive and have a million horrible ...

Being sued over old debt [ 2 Answers ]

I just received a lawsuite against me from a credit card company, from debt incurred a few years ago. I'd like to know if: I should go through paying an attorney and the whole process, or, should I wait and see what happens? Would it be wise for me to send a lump sum to the attorney and see if...

View more questions Search