Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    emily1016 Posts: 5, Reputation: 0

Jun 28, 2007, 08:23 AM
    How do I find top dead center
    I have a mtd riding mower with a 14.5 briggs and stratton engine. It breaks shear pins every time I try to start it. I need to set the overhead valves on it. I know how to set valves with the feeler gauge but I'm not sure what the procedure is for finding top dead center before I set them. Please help! Thank You!
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Jun 28, 2007, 10:17 AM
    Remove spark plug and bring piston all the way to the top, by the way a loose pulley under the engine will cause the same problem.

Don

Jun 29, 2007, 09:03 PM
    You asked how to find TDC< what don't you understand. The answer is bring the piston to the top. If you are still confused clarify what you would like to know.

Don

Jun 30, 2007, 04:10 PM
    After Moving Piston To Top Of Cylinder Do I Set The Valves On The Exhaust Stroke Or Intake Stroke? Thanks

Jul 1, 2007, 09:43 PM
    Sorry, let me clarify. Rotate engine until both valves are compltely closed and piston is on top. This is where you would set the clearance. Compression stroke.

Don

Jul 2, 2007, 05:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by newaukumdon
    Sorry, let me clarify. Rotate engine until both valves are compltely closed and piston is on top. This is where you would set the clearance. Compression stroke.

Don
    TO DON, THANK YOU VERY MUCH
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2007, 09:35 AM
    Hold On Her, Emily, They Are Wrong, You Can Find Tdc That Way,(both Valves Closed, And Piston Closest To The Opening Where You Screw In The Spark Plug, However, You Must Turn The Flywheel 1/4" Past Tdc On A Briggs And Stratton To Set The Valves Correctly.
    Please Rate My Answers.
    Thanks,
    Mowerman2468

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

XP Security Center [ 9 Answers ]

I run avg anti virus and xp in my security centre it says no anit virus found but avg is running fine all updates are done what is the problem

Can I back up my desk top onto my lap top? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a desk top and a lap top which have wireless connection to the internet. My lap top has no ethernet port and my desk top has no infra red. Can you suggest how I can use my lap top to back up my desk top? Would USB to USB work?

Center of Gravity [ 4 Answers ]

A man is doing push-ups. He has a mass of 68 kg and his center of gravity is located at a horizontal distance of 0.70 m from his palms and 1.00 m from his feet. Find the forces exerted by the floor on his palms and feet.

Find the center of a circle? [ 1 Answers ]

I need to find the center of a circle passing through the points A(-3,1), B(2,4), and C(5,-2). I need to express my answer as an ordered pair. My teacher said that you can use the distance formula for each one but that it would take a long time and he said that their was an easier way using...

View more questions Search