Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sapper Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2005, 05:40 AM
    Atapi Dvd-rom 16 Max
    Hello,, I have just noticed that my dvd-rom drive is not showing up when I open 'my computer', I then opended the 'device manager',and in the general box it says "THIS DEVICE IS DISABLED. (CODE 22). When I click on 'enable this device it says 'Windows was not able to enable this device'.
    I also notice that the Location: Location 0 (0) is this correct,should there not be numbers instead of two zero's, I am new to the PC so any help will be appreciated

sapper
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 17, 2005, 01:20 PM
    Have you opened the box recently? If so, you might check that all the cables are tight. Next check your CMOS settings and make sure the drive is recognized there.

Sep 18, 2005, 05:48 AM
    Dvd-rom
    Hi,what do you mean by 'opened the box'?, all connections to PC are OK,, can you xplain what CMOS means and how do I check my 'settins',, thank you for answering my question.

sapper

Sep 18, 2005, 06:33 AM
    By opening the box I mean open the computer case. The connections for your drives are inside there. There is a flat, ribbon cable that goes from the motherboard to the drives. There is also a power cable that supplies power to the drive.

The CMOS settings (often, but incorrectly called the BIOS settings) are settigns that tell the BIOS about your hardware. When you first boot your system there is a message about pressing some key to enter Settings. Press that key to see the settings.

One of those settings is what drives you have.

Sep 18, 2005, 06:50 AM
    OK, will try that and let u know how I get on

Wish me luck lol :confused:

Sep 18, 2005, 07:16 AM
    Hi Scott,, opened up PC tower,all connections look sound to me(famous last words eh),, restarted PC and pressed f8,, came up with 12 different options e g safe mode last known working state etc etc.

This is where I got stuck,, my pal said I should uninstal the dvd-rom from the device maneger and that windows would pick this up and install it again!! Something on those lines anyway

:confused:

Sep 18, 2005, 08:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sapper
    Hi Scott,,,opened up pc tower,all connections look sound to me(famous last words eh),,,,restarted pc and pressed f8,,,,came up with 12 different options e g safe mode last known working state etc etc.

This is where i got stuck,,,,,,,,my pal said i should uninstal the dvd-rom from the device maneger and that windows would pick this up and install it again!!!! something on those lines anyway

:confused:
    Hi Scott,, went onto Microsoft page for help,, went into device manager, right clicked on dvd drive,, uninstalled it,, clicked on 'find hardware changes,, and this solved the problem,, once again thanking u for your help , much appreciated :D

Sep 18, 2005, 07:06 PM
    You got good advice.
    That would have been the next step.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sec slave ATAPI incompatible [ 8 Answers ]

:confused: :confused: hi folks this is driving me nuts Gigabyte 6wmm7 motherboard 1x HD 1Xcdrom 512 ram goes through post then stops at this message,"Sec slave ATAPI incompatible" I have no secondary device connected tried changing cdrom to cable select , no joy, can't get into setup even after...

Atapi incompatible [ 1 Answers ]

Getting error message when I installed my new cdrom drive sec slave drive atapi incompatible what can I do please help

Unable to detect ATAPI IDE CD ROM---device driver [ 1 Answers ]

Hello... During start up of my computer I get the following message: (Atapi IDE CD Rom driver version v123b. Error unable to detect ATAPI IDE CD ROM---device driver not loaded). The Cd Rom does not show up in device manager unless I start computer in safe mode. I went into safe mode and deleted...

Cdrom atapi incompatible [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought a new computer over the Internet, and it looks like I can't get the cdrw to work. This is a bare bones type, so there is no OS. When I switch it on, the message Sec Master Drive - ATAPI incompatible appears. The HD & CDRW are on separate cables, so 2 masters are allowed, right? The...

View more questions Search