Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KweenB Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2009, 01:49 AM
    Sewer smell from shower drain and kitchen sink
    I'm wondering what is causing a horrid sewer smell coming from the shower drain as well as the kitchen sink (only the garbage disposal side). I've scrubbed clean as well as I can, but this goes beyond that even. Help please... :mad:
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 1, 2009, 03:53 AM
    Most bad odors in bathroom drains come from rotting hair mixed with grease from the soap. Try this. Remove the two screws holding the strainer. (TIP; put the screws in the soap dish before they get lost down the drain.) Shine a light down there and with a bent coathanger fish out any hair that may be hiding down there. Then pour a 1/2 gal. of bleach down into the trap and let it set over night. Next morning flush the mess down with 2 large pans of boiling water, (this is important). The bleach will dissolve the hair and make it slippery and the boiling water will melt the grease and get the mess out of your drain. Smell better now?

For that stinky disposal tonight pour 1/2 gallon of bleach down the drain and let set over night. Next morning flush with a pan of boiling water. For a nice smell cut a lemon into quarters and run it through the disposal. Good luck, tom
    KweenB Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2009, 08:01 PM

thanks sooooo much.. for the shower drain, I didn't find any hair... but the bleach and hot water got rid of the smell =)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer gas smell coming from studor vent installed under kitchen sink about a year ago [ 14 Answers ]

Hi - We had a problem with drainage in our kitchen sink after a remodel. It was a year ago I came to this site and asked for help. It was recommended we install a studor vent - which seemed to correct the problem and has worked great. However, we are now getting a terrible sewer smell from the...

Sewer Gas smell coming from Kitchen drain [ 4 Answers ]

I am having problem with a smell coming from the Kitchen drain. I checked all drains in the house and the only one that as an odor is in the Kitchen. I have poured Drano and Vinegar down the drain but no results. Please Help.

I have a sewer smell in adjacent bathroom as result of removal of kitchen sink . [ 2 Answers ]

I got new granite countertops and when my new surface mount sink arrived, I called a plumber for installation. The plumber removed the old sink and cut the pipes in preparation for installation of the new sink. We discovered that the granite guys had cut the sink hole too big. So he put duct...

Sewer smell under kitchen sink in evenings after hot day [ 7 Answers ]

This is making me crazy. I've cleaned all PVC, replaced the p trap, cleaned the disposal, checked the vent. But the sewer smell keeps appearing for several summers now, but only in the evenings after a hot summer day. It goes away once the weather cools down. The smell is so strong and...

Sewer Smell from Below Kitchen Sink When Showereing [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, newbie here! I'm a total amateur when it comes to plumbing, so I thought somebody here could help me out. When we use the upstairs shower, a horrible sewer smell comes out from under the kitchen sink. The shower is located in the room directly over the kitchen. Nothing out of the ordinary...

View more questions Search