Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Killing Mites Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2009, 10:45 PM
    Bird Mites - Using Borax to Kill Them
    Hi,

I was just wondering,I actually have some borax (borax pentahydrate) which is not mixed with anything at all.I bought it that way as I heard it was good as a pesticide.Now I am wondering how strong should I make it?
    I was scooping some out to dilute in water,and after a couple of minutes it seemed bity on my hands.I thought that was not supposed to feel that way?
    And so I looked on the net... to find the ingredients of the 20 Team Mule Borax to find out what the % borax that is in it.And there is one piece of info I have found so far that says that it is 100% borax? Hmmm Would that be a different borax to what I have?I have been told that the 20 Team Mule Borax is borax tetrahydrate,which is stronger than the borax (borax pentahydraate) that I have.So I find it hard to believe that the 20 Team Mule borax is 100% IS IT??

Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Oct 29, 2009, 03:32 AM
    Stronger is a relative term. If you mean "more effective," the tetrahydrate is a better detergent while the pentahydrate makes better glass.

Both are mediocre to fair as pesticides.

A better pesticide for bird mites would be boric acid, which you can pick up at any grocery store (roach powder). Just blow the dust onto the infested area and let it go.

As far as the contents of the detergent, ask the manufacturer, Dial.

Oct 29, 2009, 06:19 AM

Hi,

I have heard that boric acid or orthoboric acid should not be put in areas where you can breathe it in.I have in fact bought some but I was going to use in a limited way- in places that I can't put the borax tetraborate.And I was a bit concerned that it might damage the furniture being a stronger acid than the former.Does it damage and stain anything at all? Does the borax tetraborate damage anything?

Thanks
    Pest Control Expert

Oct 29, 2009, 08:04 AM
    The boric acid powders are pretty stable. As a dry dust they are even less reactive than liquid applications, so damage should be limited to having a coating of dust on your things. With the liquids, some penetration is possible into fabrics and unsealed wood, but worry more about the diluent than the borate.

As far as inhalation hazards, if you use too much you will run that risk. Even the garden dusters apply about five times what is needed indoors. Professionals use a small hand bellows that can apply as little as half a gram at a time.

To apply the dust without going to a lot of expense, put a quarter teaspoon on top of a jar lid, stand about two feet from the area to be dusted, take a deep breath, put the jar lid in front of your mouth, and blow hard. Stay away until it settles, maybe two hours. Most boric acid dusts are fairly heavy and will settle out quickly.

Oct 29, 2009, 09:02 PM

To Catsmine,
    Thanks that is very helpful.
    I have to do the outside as well though on paved and concrete areas,and it looks like it will blow away if I sprinkle it.
    Is it possible to dilute either chemical in water(would that need to be hot water for the orthoboric acid) and then spraying it,or that would *decrease its *effectiveness?? Will it still be the same orthoboric acid when it *dries? I tested out diluting the borax tetraborate and then pouring it on the concrete area,and it seems to stick to the ground much better than just sprinkling.The boric acid that I have has no anti-caking agent,and its pure as far as I know.

Pest Control Expert

Oct 30, 2009, 02:53 AM
    Yes, for outdoor uses you're absolutely right. The tetraborate in a 5% solution (use very hot water) should do admirably. Boric acid will remain boric acid after it dries, but blowing and washing away outdoors is a real hazard, in that it will go places you don't intend and won't be in places you need it.

Nov 8, 2009, 02:55 PM

Is there a better way to kill mites ? I have had the boric acid on for a few days now,and there does not seem to be much difference in the area where I am but it seems better elsewhere,although that may be due to the borax.
    With cochroaches,it is supposed to be a stomach poison,how does it work with mites?Is a pyrethroid perhaps a better way?Which would be the best one?
    Is there a reason why there does not seem to be a lot of info about mites,and some of it is conflicting.I have heard before that mites can be impossible to get rid of.Have you ever known in your personal experience (not online) as a pest controller where you have encountered mites you cannot kill or are all insects able to be killed in carpets and houses?
    How do I get them out of all my clothes and things? If they are no longer on the floor after the boric acid or any other spray or powder applied,are they likely to still be found in things like boots and shoes and clothes?
    Should I just bury it all in borax for a couple of months?Or will they come out even more aggravated?
    I have read that they can live 9mths without anyone around.How certain is that to be correct? I have also read university information online & I have been told that bird mites do not live on humans.Would you have any comments about that ? I definitely have mites,its certain anyway.
    Pest Control Expert

Nov 8, 2009, 05:03 PM
    Providing you're certain that it's bird mites, and you can identify them as well as anyone now that the internet provides distinguishing characteristics, then the trick to getting rid of them is to find their breeding sites.

Most likely they are breeding in an old bird nest hidden away in a chimney or the eaves of the building. It's possible there may be enough down directly under the old nest that the mites could set up a secondary breeding site. These sites have to be cleaned out or you can keep on killing them forever.

Here's a website that deals specifically with bird mites. If you can find the breeding site this is a little overboard, but you sound like you may already be overboard.

Bird Mite Treatment Strategies For The Home

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to kill mites? In laundary and home [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and our house has been attacked by mites, we have had the house fumigated 3 times and this stuff is still in our clothing, what can I use to wash it out

To kill a mocking bird [ 1 Answers ]

I am having trouble find this in the text but has anyone done to kill a mocking bird study guide. If so I have a few questions I would like to ask!! Thanks

What does Tom Robinson's dad send to Atticus? What else is brought to the finch home?

Why does dill lie so much in the book to kill a mocking bird

To kill a mocking bird [ 0 Answers ]

I need to find a web site for the novel "to kill a mocking bird" that anables you to plot the story line onto a circle and then print it out, and I can't remember the addy for it

View more questions Search