Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    topher Posts: 65, Reputation: 3

Aug 4, 2015, 08:35 AM
    Trying to figure out my next move
    So I got my associates in Computer drafting, and design, and got a job in Drafting and design. I've been working at the same company, doing the same thing, for the same pay for five years with no advancement, or pay increase insight. Now I'm trying to figure out what direction I should go in life. I want to continue what I'm doing now, but I want to broaden my skill set. I checked out some engineering programs at the local universities, and I'd rather sooner pull my teeth with a pair of pliers then put myself through that hell. I've always loved drawing and designing things, taking things apart and putting them back together etc...
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 4, 2015, 09:40 AM
    For advancement you need those extra two years my friend, no way around it. You are stuck in the drafting room bullpen without it, as candidates with full degrees just go around you. Sucks I know but it is what it is, and I would suggest a plan over time to get that full degree. Heck, a few hours would have gotten it for you easily the last 5 years, already.

Also consider expanding your skill set with some hands on work, and put the applications and theories you have learned to practical hands on applications. I mean no better feather in your cap, or resume boost than actually building and servicing the stuff you have previously only drawn.

The bottomline is ambitiously applying yourself even if it's to something you rather not do, and doing well at it. The experience you gain from working on projects with craftsmen and vendors and the people who actually use the systems others design is worth a million times it's value in gold and opens up future opportunities for monetary advancements. Even doctors and lawyers have to keep up with the latest innovations in their field to keep a career going and GROWING, and engineering is no different.

If you are unwilling to learn more, and keep learning more, then you kiss the chance of advancement away before you get it. You have stopped growing, and so have your options.

So what do you think now?
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2015, 10:16 AM
    Does your employer offer tuition reimbursement? If he does WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?

The 4 year is definitely needed. Most in your line of work have a Masters as well. I look for that when I hire. That paper means you set a goal and you achieved that goal. It goes a long way in making the first step to saying you are the right candidate for the job. And two more years is nothing and easier

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I allowed a family member move there mobile home my land now they won't move [ 4 Answers ]

Me & my 3 brothers own land to help a family member out I allowed them to move their trailer on it, After 9.5 years I ask them to start paying rent or leave they refuse to do either.

If your deposits is one figure but you come up with a lesser figure so how do I get a [ 3 Answers ]

I need a monthly revenue so the bank statement is less than the gross income is about $40 thousand that was not deposited so how do I get the monthly revenue from that and the checks were wrote to personal not to the co so it was deposit inpersonal but I have to show this amount how do I do this

Fashion figure n normal figure [ 2 Answers ]

What is the difference between a fashion figure and a normal figure.

Trying to figure out my next move- Abandonment/terminating his rights? [ 15 Answers ]

I am trying to find some information to help myself out with a situation I am in. I got pregnant by my boyfriend at the time last year. When he found out he told me to get an abortion. When I said I would not, he broke things off and told me never to contact him again. I had no interest until...

How do I figure out how much torque I need to move a turntable measuring 15 inches [ 1 Answers ]

The turntable measures 15 inches and will have about 20 lbs of distributed load. I want to drive it with a dc gearhear motor via a belt to the central shaft which measures 1 inch in diameter.

View more questions Search