Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    holm0246 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2007, 01:53 PM
    Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan - Light Chain came out
    OK, this seems really simple but I can't seem to figure it out. I have a pretty basic Hampton Bay ceiling fan in my bedroom. In the center, there is a small hole with a chain coming out for the light. One day I pulled it and it came off the fan. I opened the fan and see the wiring, etc. but can't find an accessible place to reattach the chain. There is one casing that might be where it goes, but it is enclosed.

How do I fix this?

Thanks,

Scott
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2007, 09:06 AM
    The entire switch will need to be replaced. The chain broke off inside the switch where it cannot be accessed. Take not of the type of switch, how many wires, what does the switch control, model number of the fan and go to Home Depot for a replacement switch.

You may want to buy an extra switch because the new switch will break also some time in the future.
    holm0246 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2007, 09:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    The entire switch will need to be replaced. The chain broke off inside the switch where it cannot be accessed. Take not of the type of switch, how many wires, what does the switch control, model number of the fan and go to Home Depot for a replacement switch.

You may want to buy an extra switch because the new switch will break also some time in the future.
    Thanks for the reply. I bought the new switch and detached the old one from the fan. The wiring is daunting though. It looks like the new switch (and the old switch) is hardwired with two black wires - one of which is tied off in a bundle and the other that goes into the base of the fan. So I disassembled two other parts of the fan and noticed that the black wire is bundled with a bunch of others (purple, yellow, etc.). Do I really need to disassemble the entire bundle of wires and rethread it into the base (which I haven't even opened yet, but looks like a real mess to take apart) in order to put on the new switch? It seems risky that I will mess something up with the other wiring.

Thanks,

Scott
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2007, 10:52 PM
    No, just cut the two black wires going to the old switch, and attach the two wires from the new switch right there. The new switch should have only two wires.

Ceiling fan pull chain replacement and repair - Ceiling Fans N More

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan - Light Comes On By Itself [ 15 Answers ]

Just installed a Hampton Bay ceiling fan with the remote control for the fan and the light. Old house and I it's my first time installing a fan. Pretty proud and works pretty well. O.K. just a little wobble. After a while of operation, the light comes on without anyone touching the remote. ...

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan - Pull Chain [ 6 Answers ]

Ok, so I got a little huffy last night holding the baby and toys while trying to find the number online to call ahead for seating at Texas Roadhouse. I pulled too hard on the fan pull chain and sure enough it broke off at the start of the chain, I was sad to see the connector piece attached to...

Hampton Bay ceiling fan and light [ 8 Answers ]

Our wall-mounted light switch no longer turns the light on. We have to flip the switch on, then walk over to the remote (in the dark) push the button off, then on again for it to work.

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan/Light [ 1 Answers ]

We have a wireless Hampton Bay ceiling fan and light with a built in remote receiver. We can still operate the fan with the remote but the lights don't work. The universal remote has one wire for the fan and one wire for the lights but the original system has numerous wires going to the motor. Is...

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan light [ 6 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me where I can find a replacement bulb for a ceiling fan I purchased at Home Depot a (hampton bay). The bulb is a mini spiral fluorescent with the writing on the side being--PLS13 Warm White, it has 4 pins. And is the push in type. Thanks

View more questions Search