Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MelanieMO Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

May 24, 2009, 01:23 AM
    How To Free Space On My C Drive?
    I've got a Windows XP Computer with a C drive that's very nearly full. I've tried to defragment. However, this process won't work--I get a message saying there's not enough free space to run a Defrag, since it requires a certain amount of free space to function. I have transferred all my iTunes, photos, and documents to an external hard drive, but the C drive is still too full and I think it's slowing down my system (slow to start up, frequent stalling out, etc.) I don't want to wipe it completely clean. I know to frequently empty the temp files, etc. and have used the Disk Cleaner utility but nothing seems to help. I've also uninstalled a lot of programs. How can I know what else is safe to delete? Is there a better way for me to purge whatever's filling it up?
    cmfundi Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2009, 01:49 AM
    You might be a victim of Brontok virus, which replicates files in the computer. Including system files which a hidden. Get a good anti virus program and a registry clean up program could help too.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2009, 08:31 PM

First place to start and then go from there to see how much space you can get back

-Right click on C: drive in windows explorer and choose properties
    -Click Disk Cleanup
    -When it gets done searching, click on the tab "More Options"
    -Click Clean up next to the System Restore and say OK
    (This will delete system restore points except for the last one made)

By default, system restore is set to save up to 12% of your hard drive space just for restore points - So 100gb hard drive is set to save up to 12 gb by default

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Free space for website [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know of any site that will accept html that is free to use? Without registering a domain name? I had a "site" on AOL until they revamped and took away Hometown. I was allowed 20 Mb per screen name there. I had 4 screen names that I linked on Hometown, using over 45 MB. I can find free...

Where is my free space? [ 1 Answers ]

Ive never really paid close attention to how much free space I have, because Ive always had plenty. I don't have any big programs, and Im am constantly doing maintenance. Deleting temp files etc. Now, all of a sudden Im down to 10% free space. Ive done disc clean up, but there isn't anything for...

Getting more free space [ 2 Answers ]

My neighbor asked me to get her computer running faster a month ago. When I went over there I went to disk clean up on her computer and I was only able to get her freespace percentage to fourteen (it was at five at first).To do a disk defragment fifthteen percent freespace was needed. She went...

Best Free FTP space? [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone recommend the best free FTP site. I occasionally need to sen out large files, 32MB tiffs and up.

Free space around a panel [ 2 Answers ]

I'm building a new house, and just finished with the electrical inspection. Today, I get to the site, and the HVAC people have run ductwork right next the panels in the basement. http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc291/bonzai95/Panel1.jpg The panel on the right is the main panel, the one...

View more questions Search