Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Nov 12, 2007, 08:22 PM
    Blood.can you tell
    Is there any specific way to tell if you have homogeneous or heterogeneous blood?
    Like if you have A positive can you tell if it's AA or Ai (I for O blood type)?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 12, 2007, 08:26 PM
    Type and cross match should tell you.
    Expert

Nov 12, 2007, 08:29 PM
    Thanks.
    Is there any other way though, one that a person without acces to a hospital lab can figure out?
    Expert

Nov 12, 2007, 08:31 PM
    Nope there isn't. This is what the lab does when one has blood taken for many reasons.
    Expert

Nov 12, 2007, 08:38 PM
    Is there a reason you need to know? Typically they do this with pregnancy to rule out ABO Incompatibility.
    Expert

Nov 13, 2007, 08:45 PM
    No just curious.
    I'm in biology and we're learning about genetic crosses and stuff like that, and that question was killing me all day.
    Expert

Nov 13, 2007, 08:47 PM
    LOL, been there done that!! Just let me know if you have any other questions.
    jem02081 Posts: 65, Reputation: 19

Nov 25, 2007, 08:50 AM
    The kinds of tests used to determine your blood type are qualitative tests (Is the A antigen present or absent?). They are not designed to tell the difference between AA & AO – both are blood type A. What you're asking for is a genetic test. The easiest way is to find out the blood type of your parents (or your children). If one of your parents or children is blood type O then you'll have proof that you're heterozygous for this gene.
    ane Posts: 27, Reputation: 0

Dec 31, 2007, 09:16 PM
    Thanks for everybody that give us a correct answer and help us... thanks once again.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2008, 12:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jem02081
    The kinds of tests used to determine your blood type are qualitative tests (Is the A antigen present or absent?). They are not designed to tell the difference between AA & AO – both are blood type A. What you’re asking for is a genetic test. The easiest way is to find out the blood type of your parents (or your children). If one of your parents or children is blood type O then you’ll have proof that you’re heterozygous for this gene.
    Point of interest (maybe): I was working with some college biology teachers once, and they said they don't like to do labs where the students do things like this, because occasionally it turns out that a student is not related to one of their parents. I was kind of shocked, but they said any genetic test that could possibly reveal that someone is not their parents' offspring is a big no no in genetics labs because of the potential for upsetting the student.
    Expert

Jan 6, 2008, 09:19 AM
    This is absolutely right Asking. My A&P instructor used to do blood typing in Lab, but quit when one of his students found out, quite accidentally, that he was adopted. All blood typing as since ceased at my college.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2008, 09:37 AM
    Wow. What a way to find out. :(
    Expert

Jan 7, 2008, 08:20 PM
    Yea I thought about that too.
    It would really stink wouldn't it to find out that way.
    The way I see it though is my mom is A my dad's O so even if I'm not related to my dad I won't be able to tell (I hope).
    It's one of those things you wouldn't want to know isn't it?
    We were learning genetic crosses not using our own blood though and most people don't know there own blood type let alone there families type.
    Interesting though, thanks for posting that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is my period too long? Is it real blood or period blood? [ 8 Answers ]

I'm really worried. My period came a month early, I only have it once in two months. I have huge cramps and tylenol doesn't work but it usually does. The color and smell are different. The color is much lighter and clear and the smell doesn't have the usual scent, it smells more like the...

Human Blood or animal blood? [ 13 Answers ]

Hello anyone. I'm a newbie here, hope to find some help here. I'm a student taking degree in biomedical science. I'm required to produce a research project in order to get my degree. I'm interested in forensic science so I choose it to be my field of research. I wonder how a real crime scene...

Blood Results show Protein in my blood? [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know what that could mean or be a sign of? What is this doctor testing for?

Blood [ 3 Answers ]

What I would like to know , is that , If I see traces of blood in my bowl movements what should I do ?should I panic?

The blood shed & the blood sprinkled! [ 4 Answers ]

THE BLOOD SHED & THE BLOOD SPRINKLED In the Old Testament and the New Testament sacrificial "Blood" is spoken of in two ways;i.e. "The Blood shed and the Blood sprinkled." IN THE OLD TESTAMENT WHAT WAS THE APPLICATION OF "SHED BLOOD" RE "ATONEMENT" (the 'moment the Blood became...

View more questions Search