Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AntonyJake Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2011, 10:45 PM
    401K Withholding rate and Termination Options
    Hi,

I need advice on US tax laws. I worked in US for a period of two years. During this time I contributed to 401(K). Now, I am considering terminating my 401(K). I understand, as a Non-Resident Alien, I will have to pay 30 % withholding rate plus an additional 10 % penalty for early withdrawal. Is this correct?

Also, I was informed by my withholding agent (Vanguard) about several termination options. In particular, I am interested in In-Kind distribution.
    In-kind distribution - If you are invested in your plan's company stock fund, your company stock holdings can be distributed as shares of stock. In-kind withdrawals may be rolled over into a self-directed IRA or taken as a taxable distribution. When taken as a taxable distribution, you only pay income tax on your cost basis, the price at which the shares were purchased. The earnings are taxed as capital gains when you sell the shares at a later date. Thus, there can be significant tax advantages to an in-kind distribution. Kindly advice if this would be a good termination option.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 25, 2011, 03:42 AM

First the withholding rate is generally 20% not 30%.

However, if you roll over the distribution into an IRA, you continue to postpone the taxation. If you do a direct rollover there will be no withholding and no penalty.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Options trading and your 401k [ 2 Answers ]

Can I use options to grow and protect my 401k

My ex-employers are withholding my 401K [ 2 Answers ]

I left a small (15 employees) firm five weeks ago and asked for the appropriate forms to cash-out a small retirement account at the time. The office manager (plan administrator) keeps putting me off about getting the paperwork to me. Is there a law or governmental regulation regarding...

401k options [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I have recently decided that I no longer trust the stock market. I am wondering what options I have... Is there any way to convert a 401k to cash or gold and not accrue the penalties & taxes immediately (ie held by a neutral party)? Thank you

View more questions Search